"Afloat" Magazine Letter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aquabelle--- We use Bristol over a penetrating epoxy sealer (CPES). Haven't found anything else that even approaches the longevity of this combination if you do it right.

We also have Sunbrella covers for much of the exterior teak on the boat including the aft cabin hatch and doors. Covers do wonders for extending the maintenance-free life of a bright finish.

Bruce, is your boat timber or fiberglass? Where do you keep her?

Bill
Bill, Fibreglass, molded to look like timber. Kept in Sydney. Rated as a coastal cruiser, I would not motor one to the Marshalls. On the market they exceed your indicative price range. BruceK

Bill,
If you want a project , look around for some of the ex prawn trawlers in Qld.
They come at a reasonable price and are usually very substantial boats.
Similar to my own vessel but more basic.
I have just been talking to a guy re using a boat similar for ocean crossing.
MV Nordley was a 52 ft timber boat that Brownie took accross to Perth for the Americas Cup ( shake down cruise) after that he came back to Brisbane then set out north, up thru Indo, around India up the Suez, spent a couple of years in the Med then went accross the Atlantic.
Did the Great lakes down the Inter Costal water way , thru Panama Canal, now not sure what came first , but he went up to Alaska , then I think down to Mexico. After that he did the pacific cruise to come home.
Not a bad journey for a 52 ft timber motor cruiser. no stabilisers , Gardner engine and a small stumpy rig.
As long as the systems are good and reliable things can be done.

Great story, how much more work are the timmer boats compared to fiberglass. I've been lead to stay away from timmer boats. Just because of the high upkeep. I indeed do get a boat to the Marshall Island, there won't be a shipyard to go to if the hull needs repairing.

Bill

Tidahapah (Benn) is right,timber gets more bang for buck, ex trawlers can be capable sea boats, there are in fair supply, you usually get a good engine brand.The layout of an open aft deck might work for diving. A fibreglass hull still needs hauling for anti fouling, maybe other issues,every year. I met a guy last week with a 40ft ex trawler wanting to sell,GM diesel,not pristine order,looked solid. If you are set on fibreglass, check Randell boats on the websites,they get used for cray fishing in Western Australia. Steber are good, (Water Police use them offshore),but way out of price range. Have you considered New Zealand as another,closer,boat market?
Always happy to meet visiting TF members, contact me before you arrive and I`ll send phone and email info. BruceK

Bill,
The main thing with timber boats is to slip them at least every 12 months, mainly to check for worm, a light wet sand, antifoul and back in the water.
Most other work can be done afloat.Good quality oil based house enamel will always do the job. one doesn't have to sand and fill and then two pack the boat.
As long as the fastenings and caulking is in good nick the boat will be ok.
Over the caulking you can have a traditional mix of linseed putty/whiteing and antifoul paint below the water line, no paint for above the waterline or clear all the putty out, so that only the caulking is left, harden the caulking up, prime the veed out seam and sikaflex it. This will last forever..
Fresh water is the bane of timber boats and is what causes dry rot.
Ensure all areas drain well and bare timber is sanded, primed and well painted.
The other important ingredient is LOVE

Sooooo, let say you find worms in the wood, then what?
I'm seeing a lot about "spotted gum" hull and decks. I take it this is a type of wood in AU.

Last edited:
Bill,
Spotted Gum is an Australian hardwood. Euculypt.
Spotted Gum, Blue Gum,Iron Bark , Turpintine (worm resistant) were all used as boat building timber and the most famous being the Tasmanian Huon Pine (this stuff is just absolutely fantastic ). Buy an ex tassie cray boat and it is pretty likely to be built of Huon.
When you slip every 12 months at least the worms don't get a strong hold and usually one just gets a hot wire up the worm hole to ensure the worm is dead and then inject some creosote in to make sure.
If the little (big) buggers have a good hold then cut out the plank and replace it usually best to replace a good length and not just a short section.

It is a skill but not ttoo difficult to learn.

Also check out this site. www.queenslandfishingbrokerage.com.au
and ring kevin if you get a chance he knows what ex gtrawlers are around and also don't be afraid to offer a price of your own , ya never know!!!

Last edited:
Bill,
. Buy an ex tassie cray boat and it is pretty likely to be built of Huon.
When you slip every 12 months at least the worms don't get a strong hold
The Tasmanian ex cray boat at the Sydney Wooden Boat Show was built of Huon pine. Before conversion,it had a "wet well", a contained part of the hull with holes in it where the caught crays were kept live in sea water sloshing in and out through holes in the hull. That tells you how durable the wood is. There is a prohibition on felling huon pine trees, so timber for boats now comes from old stores,or recovered from underwater in lakes etc, still good or to use after years underwater.
Keep in mind fiberglass has its own "worm", ie. osmosis.
If you are checking Randell boats, look for shaft drive, not sterndrive or "legs", having the gearbox underwater is not good,and costly to maintain. BruceK

The few conversions I know of of Tassie cray boats,the guys got enough Hueon Pine out of the wet well (they are double layered) to do all the refurbishment work on the boat.
Huon is a beautifull light timber and comes up a treat.

Afloat`s November edition features (p16) an article on a couple`s 7.5 year circumnavigation in a handsome and seaworthy 48ft timber displacement cruiser built at home in the spare time of the professional boat-builder husband. This would be of special interest to long distance cruisers. The 165hp Yanmar is reported as using 52000 litres to faultlessly cover 34000NM.
The p22 article on preparing a Nordhaven 62 to cross the Tasman Sea from Sydney to New Zealand, a renowned area for troublesome weather, locally called "the ditch" (NZers pronounce it "dutch") also makes good reading.
Log onto AFLOAT Magazine November 2012 if interested. BruceK

For all you Aussie Cruisers out there the new edition of the Coastal Passage is out now.
www.thecoastalpassage.com
Log on and get your copy.I have been reading it forever and don't know why I had not mentioned it before.
Bruce , thanks for the tip of re the article.
I am also trying to get a copy of a small book detailing the round the worl cruise by a Qld gent in the timber motor vessel Nordly.
His shake down cruise was Brisbane to Perth sout about for the Americas Cup in 88 I think.
Should have more info when I get back from work at the end of the month.

Afloat`s November edition features (p16) an article on a couple`s 7.5 year circumnavigation in a handsome and seaworthy 48ft timber displacement cruiser built at home in the spare time of the professional boat-builder husband. This would be of special interest to long distance cruisers. The 165hp Yanmar is reported as using 52000 litres to faultlessly cover 34000NM.
The p22 article on preparing a Nordhaven 62 to cross the Tasman Sea from Sydney to New Zealand, a renowned area for troublesome weather, locally called "the ditch" (NZers pronounce it "dutch") also makes good reading.
Log onto AFLOAT Magazine November 2012 if interested. BruceK

Bruce: Great article on the circumnavigation. Thanks.

For all you Aussie Cruisers out there the new edition of the Coastal Passage is out now.
www.thecoastalpassage.com
Log on and get your copy.I have been reading it forever and don't know why I had not mentioned it before.
Bruce , thanks for the tip of re the article.
I am also trying to get a copy of a small book detailing the round the worl cruise by a Qld gent in the timber motor vessel Nordly.
His shake down cruise was Brisbane to Perth sout about for the Americas Cup in 88 I think.
Should have more info when I get back from work at the end of the month.

Lol

Crewtoday, are you in Australia, if so,where?
Welcome aboard, wherever you are!
Does "crewtoday" maybe suggest "ownertomorrow?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom