Helm port or starboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
I was wondering how most boats are configured.

MY helm is on the port side but my boat is a one off.

So who made your boat and is she port or Starboard helm.

Why do you like it?

SD

Last edited:
sorry, duplicate post

Last edited:
My helm is to starboard. I prefer this because most stand-on vessels come from the starboard. Starboard visibility is better too when docking and the single-engine thrust moves the boat in that direction.

img_107626_0_652533aff75b269a67bf835ccac1df51.jpg

Starboard, both upper and lower stations. I prefer docking on the starboard side for visibility and because the boat "backs to port" which makes it easier for me to get off a dock.

Flybridge- centerline.
Salon- starboard.
Cockpit- starrboard

Yup, I got 3:D

Flybridge helm centerline. Lower helm to Stbd. Previous boat helm to Port.

Flybridge center
Lower Starboard

Both upper and lower are to starboard and door on main cabin is also on starboard side.

Monk 36, Salon S'tbd, Flybridge center.
Steve W.

Grand Banks boats have their helm to starboard and the flying bridge aligned above it since there is a mechanical connection between the two wheels. On the wood GBs and early fiberglass GBs the helm was more to the centerline of the boat but still on the starboard side of it. Later GBs have the helm position even more to starboard.

In the photo the radar/plotter on the retractable overhead mount is on the centerline of the boat.

Early GB twins had their power levers to port and their shifters to starboard. This was changed at some point to the opposite arrangement which tends to be the most common arrangement on twin engine boats today. But I really like having the shifters to starboard because when docking I can lean out the door to check our position but still be able to manipulate the shifters.

Attachments

• Helm.jpg
    Helm.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 125
1976 Californian LRC's

Flybridge is center
Lower is Starboard

Command bridge is centered, lower helm to starboard.

Attachments

• DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 129
My helm is to starboard.

FWIW, to which direction a single screw boat backs is based on whether the propeller is left or right hand.

Ted

Lower steering on Port side
upper steering on centreline

I was just curious there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason.

Must be just because the builder wanted it that way.

Seems most wheels are to starboard. A few to port.

I have grown used to my port wheel. When I drive another boat it takes a bit to orient myself to starboard. Especially when operating a twin screw.
Not difficult I just have to think for a moment sometimes.

SD

Fly bridge center line.
Salon, starboard

flybridge- center, lower- port. ski boat- starboard. It seems most trawlers are starboard and most cruisers are port?? Jolly Time

Pilot house starboard, no flybridge

Ski boat starboard

Dinghy centered rear

The Ocean Breeze has the lower helm on the Starboard side with the flybridge being centred.

Coming into my Oceanside property the dock is on the port-side unless I back in. Once the Marina is built I will have to do a Y ( back out and head forward between the wharf and break-water ) manoeuvre if I face in or will have to do a C manoeuvre if I dock backing in.

I prefer to dock using the lower helm but using the flybridge is as comfortable for me.

I have found that many places I pull in while out on excursions I dock with the wharf on the starboard. Again, it doesn't really matter which side I dock on, all is about the same for me.

You know it never ever cross my mind why different boats switch with the helm to either port or starboard but I guess it all has to do with layout preferences from the designers.

Elwin

Attachments

• 2012-08-08 12.36.49.jpg
    2012-08-08 12.36.49.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 2012-08-10 11.18.55.jpg
    2012-08-10 11.18.55.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 107
Lower helm starboard,flybridge centered, IG36.
Previous boat,Masters 34: port helm, no flybridge helm, left hand prop, BruceK

Pilothouse helm and flybridge are both centerline. Works great in the PH w/doors P&S, so I can assist w/lines once the stern is secured.

Although most boats I've owned over the years have the helm to starboard, I've operated boats with port helms, and to be honest found no difference.

If you are single handing and have a helm door, it is nice to have the stern back to the same side, but that is a side issue. (No pun intended!)

Helm to Port

DSC02695 (800x451).jpg

Propwalk is to port in reverse, so the helm is to port with engine controls accessible from side deck through door.

Our Tolly stations are FB CL / Salon Stbd, next to slider door. Have had several boats... Majority had same set up as our Tolly. 31'. Uni (2nd pict) was port in salon, but that never bothered me cause I always like to pilot from bridge. O/b's and ski boat are/were all stbd. I prefer stbd to port in salon and CL on bridge. :D

Attachments

• Salon Pilot, Elect Pnl, Frnt Stateroom Door w-Chair.jpg
    Salon Pilot, Elect Pnl, Frnt Stateroom Door w-Chair.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 101_0032.jpg
    101_0032.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Most boats will set up so the helm is on the same side as the prop walk causes the boat to be docked.

Pilothouse = center. My previous boat was port side in a 1942 Monk bridge-deck sedan.

Flybridge - Centerline
Pilot house - Centerline
:ermm:

Attachments

• 1886049_15.jpg
    1886049_15.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 99

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom