Cleaning soot/oil from Seadek flooring . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
In the process of getting the boat clean after the engine overheated and got oily soot everywhere, a lot of it has been tracked onto the Seadek which is on the deck. Anyone have any good suggestions on cleaning this? I would presume that just warm water and soap, and a good scrub brush, might be sufficient. But perhaps there is something better. Many thanks for any and all suggestions.

John

I use Bleach White tire cleaner to get the back steaks off the boat. Spray it on let sit for 10 seconds, wash/scrub the area and hose off. Repeat if necessary. For stubborn stains/spots, I also use Clorox bleach spray. Then wash the area with a high concentration Turtle car wash to put back the protection and shine.

I use Castrol Super Purple or Purple Power cleaner- spray/pour it on, scrub with a good bristle brush, and rinse clean.

You can get either product at any auto parts store- cheap and effective.

Here's my experience.
http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?bl...editor/target=post;postID=5727455876263251771

I had similar results on my SeaDek. Left side (of pic) is slight scrub with BKF followed by a bleach soaking. Center is uncleaned test panel. Right is bleach only.
IMAG1361.jpg

My SeaDek is/was a temporary solution to provide footing for my dog. Merlin can't get traction on bare gelcoat and he especially needs his footing when he goes down and up the steps to go potty on his own.

Larry M writes:

"Simple Green. Start diluting to about 50%. Or TSP?"

The guy who worked on my engine recommended Purple Power Citrus spray. Spray it on, scrub, and rinse. Seems to work pretty well. The worse spot was right in front of the door to the salon, where everyone was tracking in and tracking out. I have it looking pretty normal now. So am pleased. Thanks for the reply.

John

John:

Did your engine overheat issues get fixed OK?

Sunchaser wrote:

"Did your engine overheat issues get fixed OK"

Seems to be fixed. I have not yet gotten the bill, but feel certain that it will be a hefty one. But that is a part of boating.

The only really worrisome thing right now (besides looking at a spartan lifestyle for a while to get that bill paid off (which will go on the credit card)) is that I still do not know why it overheated to start with. No visible signs of anything. Raw water intake not blocked, strainer not blocked, impeller looked a bit worn but basically OK. So it continues to be a mystery. Lesson learned, though -- watch those temperature gauges like a hawk! I had run the engines for five days and nary a problem, and so I relaxed my vigilance. Bad error!

John

Back
Top Bottom