The keel may be level...but

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't imagine that setup is doing the hull any good. Why didn't they use keel blocks?

Who are you putting that to Sailor....not me I presume, but higher up...? I can clearly see three keel blocks in my picture..

GRP resin will crush at about 4000PSI.

I wonder how heavy this boat is and how many SQ inches of boat is in contact with those few blocks?

I was revering to Andy G's set up in the first picture. The close up post doesn't look as bad. I would still rather have keel blocks than poppits under the keel. Poppits are fine for outside of the keel area.

Right. Yes...no real argument there from me...I like solid wooden blocks, every time.

I like Bendits aft control station. Very useful and seldom seen on pleasure vessels, more common in Chesapeake Bay.

Freeing ports good. Hard to do on a canoe stern.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 89
Here a few more pic's of the supports in question. I did query whether they were 'safe' and was told each stand was rated to 7 tons. Each of the other three boats on the hard were supported in similar fashion.
Provided you don`t mind the risk of toppling,you get to antifoul those parts of the keel often blocked for quite some length which miss getting antifouled.
Fact is,she did not topple, nor did the other boats on the hard, so the system works, but the loads on the keel must be uneven. Even so,we saw her while up,and were not alarmed at the support system. BruceK

Provided you don`t mind the risk of toppling,you get to antifoul those parts of the keel often blocked for quite some length which miss getting antifouled.

The yards we use all lift the boat in the Travelift after the bottom's been painted so the spots where the keel blocks and stand pads were can be painted.

Fact is,she did not topple, nor did the other boats on the hard, so the system works, but the loads on the keel must be uneven. Even so,we saw her while up,and were not alarmed at the support system. BruceK

Well Bruce you certainly trusted the support system enough to climb up for a cold beer. The only thing that toppled was poor old Was, still he's on the mend, up and about in a couple of months.

The scuppers are a genuine issue though, the water that pooled amidships was caused by the design of the deck, I had not realised the bow and stern were so much higher than amidships, there really should be some scuppers just aft on the starboard and port sliding doors.The after scuppers were not blocked in any way , the water was still 6' from the actual drainage point, luckily we have high sills for the side doors.

Thinking about it though, this is really only a problem when the boat is on the hard, she drains quite well when on the water.

Attachments

• boat slip 009.jpg
    boat slip 009.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 78
  • scuppers 001.jpg
    scuppers 001.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 82
  • scuppers 002.jpg
    scuppers 002.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 87
I don't think those are scuppers. I'm sure there is a nautical term for those things, but since I don't know what it is, can we call the Floogle Holes? :D

Tom-

I think you are referring to a hawse pipe. The *sometimes* brass hole in the hull which the lines or chain gets fed through.

As Steve Martin said, "Those aren't pillows!"

The openings in Andy's pictures are "hawse holes" through which docking lines go. Note cleats.

Last edited:
The scuppers in the picture are not the hawse holes, but the pathetic little holes in the deck that are drained via a hose at waterline. I think I am developing a case of scupper envy.

Now I see them. Yes, they are pathetic.

Well Bruce you certainly trusted the support system enough to climb up for a cold beer. The only thing that toppled was poor old Was, still he's on the mend, up and about in a couple of months.
Andy, the chance meeting, and the beer, were most welcome. We look forward to showing you over Doriana, in Sydney or at our next visit to Pittwater. Was is unlucky slipping on the stairs the yard provided, good to hear he is improving, with time.
Hope those perfectly restored teak decks are ok post inundation. BruceK

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom