Brass rubbing strips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
The brass rubbing strips on the boat are in need of a good clean,seems to have built up some type of oxidation over the years, not sure if brass does oxidise like aluminium, looks similar though.

I have tried some light sanding, not happy with the result . Anyone out there a brass rubbing expert?

Attachments

• brass rubbing strip 004.jpg
    brass rubbing strip 004.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 187
That's what the bronze rubbing strips our boat look like. If you remove them you can take them to a commercial metal cleaning outfit. Not sure what they do--- acid bath probably and other stuff. Might not be stuff you want to get on your gelcoat if you try to do it on the boat.

There are various paste metal cleaners on the market. Perhaps using them with an electric buffer will get the worst of the oxidation off. We use Meguiar's Metal Polish on the boat but have never tried it on anything this oxidized. Might work, though, with a buffer.

Old USMC belt buckle stand-by-Brasso-still the best metal polish there is-use it with a slight abrasive cloth/spong first to get the osidation off the a soft cloth to polish. Careful to not get it on gelcaot as you clean-it turns black as it cleans and will stain the gelcoat if not wiped off immediately. Second best polish, especially for aluminum/SS railings, etc. is call Flitz, works great and leaves a slight protective coat behind.

Used a wire wheel on a drill to good success..

It's called Patina. Unless you can coat it with a clear something or other it is just going to revert to same.

I've grown to live with it .The wire wheel will get rid of the scratches so at least it will be uniform.

SD

Last edited:
My father cleaned up all my bronze through hulls using a mix of vinegar and salt. Worked pretty good. Might be a good first step before moving to one of the metal polishes?

Used a wire wheel on a drill to good success

SD
I used a wire wheel on a 100mm angle grinder,pretty much the same method, to clean up the strip on the swim platform,but it was off the platform when I did it.It came back very nicely. Seeing the pic, I doubt you will restore yours any other way.
I would not attack brass strip while attached to the boat for fear of damaging paint or gelcoat. BruceK

Might try this?
NoDifficultToSeeWhichGenderFavorsThisStatue-33871.jpg

Sorry it's a bit difficult to concentrate on your suggestions with this staring me in the face!

My god she would look good on the bow of the boat, she would rival HMS Surprise.

:ermm: Some would pay to get that kind of patina.
Patina is nice on antique furniture but to me that brass looks scabby. After wire brushing mine retained a mellow aged look.
Views will vary, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". BruceK

Sorry it's a bit difficult to concentrate on your suggestions with this staring me in the face!

My god she would look good on the bow of the boat, she would rival HMS Surprise.

Then, how about this?

img_107522_0_ec6391862d8e6a6a9d8e6045b54825fb.jpg

"Some would pay to get that kind of patina"

Nahh , look at the folks that don't accept the fine Grey no skid a teak deck becomes when exposed to sea and sun.

They grab belt sanders to attack the teak , and then shmeer it with oil or even varnish it to have something to do over the years.

Some new aluminum cruising boats advertise NO TEAK, but those are not popular.

A wire wheel in a drill motor or grinder will make a mess of the gelcoat if you don't remover the strips and do them off the boat. If you use a steel wire brush, little particles of steel will remain in the metal (it's probably bronze, not brass) and begin to rust pretty quickly.

If you somehow get them to shine, about the only way of maintaining that shine would be a clear coat over the metal.

There's nothing that will last, and will be a bitch to get off once the brass tarnishes underneath. I'd recommend sticking with trying to keep a bell polished for a while before you tackle a rub rail project.

What's the goal here...to make the boat look like it's never seen any action?
Nitrogen encapsulation comes to mind...

can one of those clear lacquer for metal coating be sprayed on, to keep corrosion at bay for a year or 2?

the question was about "brass rubbing strips"...I think there's a key word in the title tha may make coatings a hit or miss gamble...:D

I like shiny stuff on uniforms but ir you are gonna have brass/bronze on a boat ...salty dark with green spots is a sign of character.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom