Headlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can tell you with certainty that running with any lights other than nav lights on more than intermittantly will get you stopped and a citation from one of the many law enforcement agencies on the water

You are mistaken, as long as those lights aren't mistaken for navigational/running lights. The usual deck and interior-but-visible lights are allowed.

Night isn't reduced (restricted) visibility.....by NAVRULE definition....the maneuvering signals are "in sight" or "in restricted visibility"

here's the NAVRULE definition... The term "restricted visibility" means any condition in which visibility is restricted by fog, mist, falling snow, heavy rainstorms, sandstorms or any other similar causes.

No rule prohibits showing navigational lights or making signals regardless of visibility.

Does weird things to the highest power light at a low angle to the water
HOLLYWOOD

Interesting . How so. :socool:

I love the whole mysteries of the sea thing.:pirate:

Even simple things like judgment of distance.
Looks like a hundred yards and it's more like 1/2 a mile.
Or the way sound carries.

So what is wierd. Cause and effect Please.:thumb:

well, light is reflected off water at the same angle that it approaches the water, if you wish to illuminate a large area of water to see objects in the water the light needs to be at a as close to a 90 angle to the surface as possible, a low angle will reflect the light straight ahead ( this is why on a flat day you can see the mirror effect of mountains on the water) the low angle works well to illuminate docks,pilings. it is physics... and I cannot remember ( or care to for that matter) exactly why the water molecule does this.
HOLLYWOOD

I can tell you with certainty that running with any lights other than nav lights on more than intermittantly will get you stopped and a citation from one of the many law enforcement agencies on the water - CG, Marine Police, Sheriffs, police depts, and game wardens. VA regulations say very clearly that any light other than standard nav lights must be used intermittantly (up to officer to determine what that means) and never shined at an oncoming vessel.

I love boating at night. Visibility is a problem only on the darkest of nights a few days a month or when overcast and we avoid unfamiliar waters then. Had an electrical failure one moonless night and came home at idle speeds from a restaurant about 25 miles away on sight alone. That wasn't fun but we made it safely after several hours running. Amazing how such an experience builds confidence. We don't hesitate to go out at night.

Gary Looking for a live-aboard trawler

boy can you imagine what kind of ticket they would write this guy!

As long as you have the correct navigation lights showing " additional" lighting should not get you in trouble.. nav lights are there to be able to determine the direction the other vessel is traveling relative to your vessel
HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• princess-cruise-ship-leaving-port.jpg
    princess-cruise-ship-leaving-port.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 98
:thumb:The most important thing is to be seen.

img_107000_0_de3a09fa0fcc55d2bc670a1e650f86e4.jpg

Last edited:
No rule prohibits showing navigational lights or making signals regardless of visibility.

true...but "night" alone does not meet the definition of restricted visibility....

I wasn't clear in your question then... "Wondering ... since night has serious visibility limitations, might not one want to sound his fog horn?

I have a remote spot light like most do, however I've found a hand held spot light used from the bridge to be much more useful. You gotta open the eisenglass though.

Isinglass. Makes the beer clear I wonder if it makes the light clear.:)

SD

I have a hard time considering night-running to be recreational.

I love night runs, especially offshore when it's relatively flat. Good vis from coastal lights from the houses, condos, etc, should be to one side. Good sighting on other boaters IF they have their nav light on. I say "if" because we came up on a sailboat anchored as I recall, that was totally black. We used the spot/flood to illuminate her up as we approached and passed. Crazy.

Generally though, your eyes adjust to the lighting conditions and you can easily see the bouys and markers, especially in chanels and harbors that you're familiar with.

Oh, and the stars are something else.

Back
Top Bottom