Safety Netting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryBud49

Vessel Name
Pleasure Island
Vessel Make
Marine Trader DC 34'
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, and we have a new to us 1988 Marine Trader 34. We love the boat and now our small grandkids and our dogs can join us on board. That wasn't so comfortable on our Ericson 35 sailboat. I've already learned a lot and look forward to meeting everyone, online and on the Chesapeake Bay.

On of our concerns is the low bulwark and, being a sailor, the first thing I've thought of is adding a safety net under the railing. Has anyone done this with a wood rail? How did you attach the web and how did you work the gates?

Thanks folks,
LarryBud49

You can attach the netting to the underside of the teak rails if you install some pad eyes or eye straps.. Stainless Steel Pad Eyes, Folding Pad Eyes, U Bolts, Pad Eyes, Titanium Pad Eyes then run a cord or line like a nylon clothesline weaving the safety netting onto the pad eyes. You would have to secure the bottom of the netting in the same fashion. Rigging the gates is a little trickier...we have done it but its hard to explain...involves the use of small spring clips on both sides at the bottom... Stainless Spring Clips Hooks Carabiner Carabiners Snaps Safety Hook We didn't have kids on board...but had two small dogs that loved to chase birds....

Hope that helps.

Seems pretty straight forward, the spring clips in the gates was something I hadn't considered and I'll look at that. Thanks for the advice.

We have the safety netting that we installed on our boat. The way we handle gates is we buy an elastic cargo net from home depot for about $9.00 the hooks attach to stanchion on both sides and the top lifeline. They work great. The only thing is the nets are black. They hold up quite well in the sun. You may be able to find white ones if you google them.

We had our 16 month old granddaughter aboard this summer for a 10 day trip and a 4 day trip. With high bulwarks, waist high on Maëlle, and a strict lifejacket on when outside rule, she was able to run laps around the boat safely. The biggest challenge was getting her mother (our daughter was sailing before she could walk, so surprised us with her fears for her daughter) over her convictions that our boat couldn't be safe for Maëlle. Netting is no substitute for parental vigilance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom