Christmas in the Carolinas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbastump13

Vessel Name
DILLIGAF
Vessel Make
1981 Mainship 34T
We're the proud new owners of an '81 Mainship 34T and have now found her a comfy dock in Charleston, SC. As the holidays approach, I know many will be wintering inland as their crafts nestle quietly at mooring until spring. But we're hoping there are some diehards out there that might be planning a cruise-in or get-together somewhere along the Carolinas Coast during that time. All replies welcome!

There's no need to "winterize" a boat left in the water in Charleston, SC. While the air temperature will sometimes dip into the 20s overnight, daytimes will be above freezing. The water, of course, does not freeze. The lowest I've measured was about 40 degrees.

We have been out in December but it depends on the weather. It could be in the low 70s in the daytime or the low 30s. You can't really plan on it.

There is an annual Christmas boat parade around the Charleston Harbor the first or second week in December in case you are interrested.

Ron,

Thanks for the reply and the info. We're now docked at the Bristol Marina, so I'll keep a close eye on the parade plans! Sounds like a great time.

Bubba

Charleston is a major stopover for cruisers heading south. The marinas fill as does the mooring field. The migration will begin in earnest after the Annapolis Boat Show. Most insurance companies want the boat north of Hatteras until November 1st. Chuck

Ron,

Thanks for the reply and the info. We're now docked at the Bristol Marina, so I'll keep a close eye on the parade plans! Sounds like a great time.

Bubba

You're welcome. Charleston is a great place for boating. Cruise up or down the ICW or just cruise the local rivers. We're in Savannah, GA for a week. It took us two days with a stop in Beaufort.

Beaufort is awesome! We cruised through there and stayed overnight about a month ago and loved it! And Oh Boy...that wonderful food at the Dockside Seafood across at Lady's Island!

You're welcome. Charleston is a great place for boating. Cruise up or down the ICW or just cruise the local rivers. We're in Savannah, GA for a week. It took us two days with a stop in Beaufort.

Way to go, Ron. It's good to see you're cruising. Are you on the waterfront, Thunderbolt, or Isle of Hope?:thumb:

Way to go, Ron. It's good to see you're cruising. Are you on the waterfront, Thunderbolt, or Isle of Hope?:thumb:
On the waterfront waiting for the action. River Street is pretty active all the time but this is the Oktoberfest weekend with entertainment and such.

The first dock where we stayed before has the power and water cut off because of construction but we had to stay there because we arrived a day early. We're moving to the next dock later today.

On the waterfront waiting for the action. River Street is pretty active all the time but this is the Oktoberfest weekend with entertainment and such.

The first dock where we stayed before has the power and water cut off because of construction but we had to stay there because we arrived a day early. We're moving to the next dock later today.

Are the tug boat wakes giving you any problem? Those things run up and down the river 24 hours a day.

Are the tug boat wakes giving you any problem? Those things run up and down the river 24 hours a day.

Not really a problem. The boat rocks a little, but it's a boat, right?

The biggest problem was noise and lights because with no electricity we had to leave the windows and hatches open. We're at the other dock now with power.

There were at least ten ships in and out last night but the're fun to watch.

Not really a problem. The boat rocks a little, but it's a boat, right?

The biggest problem was noise and lights because with no electricity we had to leave the windows and hatches open. We're at the other dock now with power.

There were at least ten ships in and out last night but the're fun to watch.

I know what you mean. I have a light sleeper on board, so about 2 nights there is the limit for us. Standing on our deck with the big ocean freighters so up close and personal is awesome. They are huge.

You probably already do this, but lock your boat. Don't leave anything on the deck that you want to see in the morning.

Last edited:
Ohoy,

Welcome to the Carolinas. The MTOA is having a luncheon get together at the Port Royal Landing Marina on November 3rd. If you're interested, get on their website, www.mtoa.net, and click the Regional Groups button. It's a newly formed chapter of trawler folks.

Back
Top Bottom