Consumables via Online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveH

Does anyone have a good online supplier for Yanmar and or Northern Lights filters, belts, impellers and the like? I used to use Blue Water out of Texas before they went belly up. I need to restock. Thanks.

Steve

Go to your local NAPA guy , the old fellow with BOOKS , not the clown with a "company" computer.

There is an interchange book that should be used 2 ways.

First look up your parts that will directly interchange.Write down every interchange in your log book.

Then use the sizes section and find the inlet size (oil filter) and dimensions of what ever else you need.

Write em all down , then use the size interchange section for what else will fit.

A simple example is Volvo uses a very tiny filter to keep the engine profile as small as can be done.

But on most boats a 2 inch deep filter is not required and a Fram PH8A will screw right on , tho it is longer and holds more oil and filter medium.

Frequently similar , not identical parts can be found at 1/5 the "Stock marine part " cost that functions better.

Beware oil filters and many fuel filters are expected to be used right away .

If you are purchasing a case (best deal) seal each before carrying aboard and tossing into a locker..

I have to get my Yanmar parts from here Welcome to Mastry Engine Center

No one close carries anything for Yanmars. But, considering I am no where near the coast, it's no surprise. The only thing Napa could match up, which was not a close match, was a belt. They did not have any filter matches for my 4LH DTE's.

I can't help with the Northern Lights, can you help with Onan?

The folks at the local Park Auto store were able to cross all my Volvo filters to WIX brand. According to my brother who is in the lubricants business, WIX makes quality filters.

I haven't asked them to cross refference my belts but I'll bet they can. I don't think they will have impellers though.

It's pretty easy to find sources by just doing a web search on the part number.

As a side, I read a review once on oil filters and the "Fram" brand did not fare well. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies and info. It seems Yanmar in particular hold their filters and parts close to the vest as they seem only available through Yanmar distributors/dealers now. A few years ago all their filters were available on line at a good 20%-30% discount from distributors/dealers prices. Same thing for Northern Lights filters. I was unable to get a cross reference to Baldwin filters, but I'll try Wix. Thanks.

Steve

....but I'll try Wix. Thanks.

Steve

Don't know if this helps but NAPA branded filters are actually Wix filters. And they are, as Ron said, very good. As are Baldwins which what we use throughout the boat.

The upper end of the Fram line are okay but they are "economy" filters and as such are not made with the same quality components as filters like Wix and Baldwin. Starting with my new Land Rover in 1973 I've used Fram filters in all my/our vehicles (except our 2011 Subaru Forester) and had no issues. But I change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles and with that kind of frequency the quality of the oil filter isn't going to make much difference as long as it's at least halfway decent.

I changed all the vehicles (except Subaru) to NAPA/Wix a year or so ago, more to support the local NAPA store than because I thought the Wix filters were going to make any signficant difference. But they are better built than Fram.

Baldwin has a very easy to use cross reference search engine on their website.
Baldwin Filters E-Catalog

One of the problems I have is trying to figure out what filters to stock in my store. Any filter part numbers for common marine engines would be appreciated.

Thanks HopCar. When I put the Yanmar filter number 127695-35150 in the Baldwin Fliters E-Catalog nothing came up. So I Googled "cross reference with yanmar oil filter 127695-35150" and found a Fleetguard PDF that crossed it to LF4017 YNMR. I went back to the Baldwin Fliters E-Catalog and put in LF4017, and out came B975. Not really sure if it's a direct match. On a more sure note, I got a direct match on the Northern Lights oil filter 24-08001 to the Baldwin B37.

Also, you were asking for filter numbers.
For the Yanmar engine 4LHA-HTP 160 filters are as follows:
Oil - Yanmar #127695-35150
Fuel (on engine) - Yanmar #121857-55710
Air - Yanmar #119195-18880

For Northern Lights gen-set M673LD2 5Kw
Oil - Norther Lights #24-08001
Fuel - Northern Lights #24-52020
Air - Northern Lights #24-28003

Hope this is useful.

Steve

Thanks for the numbers Steve.

Latest posts