View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #19
Delfin
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Geez Delphin, as usual you read just enough to jump off the deep end again. Pure bromine liquid is safely stored in metal containers, but add just a touch of moisture and the characteristics change dramatically. It becomes very corrosive. But add a tiny amount of bromine to water and it is a harmless biocide ... sort of like chlorine.

We aren't talking pure bromine storage and transport here despite how well that serves whatever purpose you are struggling to push at the moment. If you want to argue about this stuff, find someone who is willing to humor you.

In the meantime let us know when you find some horror story about someone whose boat dissolved because he put a couple of pool tablets in his sea strainer ... after all, that is what the discussion was about until you chimed in with your usual ignorant crap.
When you get to the point where you understand the difference between 2 ppm and 30 ppm and fresh water and salt water get back to me. Or perhaps try a little experiment. Go to a hot tub retailer and buy some bromine or chlorine tablets. Take a bucket of sea water and drop the tablets in. Preferably you'll have some organic matter supplying ammonia in the sea water because that will make the experiment ever so much more fun. Stick your head in the bucket and take a deep, deep breath. Or perhaps just throw a copper nail in it and come back in a few hours and see what color it is. Can't wait for your report.

And no one is suggesting that anyone's boat is going to dissolve. I merely pointed out the reasons why many manufacturers of marine a/c systems strongly advise against using chemicals of any kind, much less bromine, to clean out the a/c loop. When they do recommend cleaning, they recommend using a dilute acid solution for a simple reason. Halogens like Bromine react vigorously with copper to form copper bromide, while it takes hot acid to dissolve copper. But that veers into chemistry, which you have demonstrated is not your strong suit, so I'll make it simple. Weak acid pretty much ok because it doesn't dissolve copper, weak bromine bad because it does.

Perhaps it's time for you to stop digging....