View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
Delfin
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Which metals in your system do you believe will be dissolved? Got any citations to show that your belief is fact based?
You mean other than what is cited above, to wit: "Storage vessels are commonly constructed of steel lined with lead, PVDF (and certain other fluoropolymers) or glass. If the bromine is 'dry' then Nickel or alloys such as Monel and Hastelloy can be used though all are susceptible to severe attack in the presence of wet bromine. Titanium is unsuitable for Bromine duty (wet or dry) and should be avoided." and "Few metals are suitable for use in contact with 'wet' bromine (moisture content in excess of 30mg/kg)." So based on that, Rick, I would say most metals will be attacked by bromine. It takes about 2 ppm to kill Zebra mussels, but bromine tablets will deliver about 15 times that much, which is why pool pumps are built with seals and metals capable of holding up in a chlorine or bromine environment. I can Google that for you if you need more information on the subject.

Quote:
Bromine treatment of non ferrous heat exchangers has been around a long long time and is very safe and effective. Show us where it is not. Bromine water treatment is not a "he-man" solution, it is a water treatment industry standard.
Yes, at 2 to 3 ppm, not 30 ppm, which is what bromine tablets would deliver. And that is fresh water, by the way. As noted, in salt water the chemical reaction is rather different with the production of highly corrosive chlorine or bromine gas. That is why recommending it to someone who doesn't know better is irresponsible, and why manufacturers of marine a/c systems tell you not to do it.

Quote:
Methyl bromide is a fumigant gas and has about as much to do with water treatment as zinc phosphide has to do with anodes.
My impression from JD is that he didn't care much about corrosion since he hadn't "seen" it occurring inside the engine block of his genset or the coils on his a/c. While my suggestion was sarcastic, if all you want is to kill critters, then it is hard to beat methyl bromide, and that suggestion is only slightly more insane than suggesting mixing salt water with bleach.

Quote:
It is ignorance and mythology that has given bromine water treatment a bad name in the recreational boating world, not reality. Someone posted something on a website and repeating it makes the poster sound smart ... at least to folks who don't know any better.
Yep, bromine is perfectly safe at the dosages it is used at for water treatment. And, if you can figure out a way for the OP to inject 2 ppm into his raw water loop on a continuous basis without going broke rather than the 30 or so he would get with tablets, and you can deal with the out-gassing interaction with salt water (not a problem with fresh drinking water), then please let him and the rest of us know how to do this.

Quote:
Maybe you can learn something while you look for all those examples of the sky falling on the folks who throw a couple of pool tablets in their sea strainer.
Perhaps. 2 aspirin can help a headache. 30 aspirin can eat a hole in your stomach. Since you seem completely ignorant on this subject and how this particular chemical is dosed for different applications and environments, as well as the content of the information you cite as well as basic chemistry, I'm betting that whatever I learn will come from some source other than you. Some things never change.