How many Presents on the board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Anybody have a count of how many Presents are on the board? We just brought our 38 home to Clear Lake and would like to share experiences. We had more problems in two days bringing the boat home from Beaumont than we had in six years of cruising on our sailboat.

Anybody have any idea of the total number of Presents built? Our HIN number has 8011 for the serial number. I assume that means it's number 11 of the 38 series?

Has anyone taken one across the Gulf to Florida? Across the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas?

Bob

Our sailboat is up for sale in Kemah. We were thinking of buying that very same boat. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Presents? What do you have ghost or gremlins. Two different things. Every boat has gremlins but I would run like mofo if it had ghost's

No ghosts, just some really weird electrical problems. Supposed to have a separate genset start battery in addition to two house batteries. Anchored in Taylor Bayou while coming from Beaumont and in the morning all three batteries were stone cold dead. Got TowboatUS to jumps us off and about halfway to Offats the electrical system went dead. Seems the two alternators on the engines do not charge the batteries.

Was kind of fun crossing Bolivar Roads and the Ship Channel without chartplotter or depth sounder. Of course once we got to Moody Gardens Marina we couldn't kill the engines because there was no juice for the stop solenoids untill we got shore power hooked up.

Bob

I know it was a pain in the ass, but I'm sure that it wont be too dificult to fix. Wish you better luck on your way up to Clear Lake

Made it to Clear Lake without any further problems after spending two nights at Moody Grdens on shore power. We're in South Shore Harbor. Used to be in Waterford with our sailboat but South Shore is cheaper and seems more power boat oriented.

The name of the boat is Compromise, it's a boat, but not a sailboat.

Bob

Made it to Clear Lake without any further problems after spending two nights at Moody Grdens on shore power. We're in South Shore Harbor. Used to be in Waterford with our sailboat but South Shore is cheaper and seems more power boat oriented.

The name of the boat is Compromise, it's a boat, but not a sailboat.

Bob

We are over at Waterford. Still own sailboat but it is for sale. Going to go with a trawler or houseboat, not sure which yet. We want to go inland and sometimes I think the Houseboat would be more useful. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. In my case, it's a tough decision.

Present 42 here.

We love our 86 Present- just brought it down the tenn-tom from Pickwick, Tn.- no problems till we got bad fuel in Pensacola. lots of problems then- but I think we have them solved.

We also have a 38' 1986 Present. Bought her in May or there about. Maybe we can compare notes.

Bob
Compromise

Sounds like a voltage regulator problem for your batts. Once you drain them down past 50% you will throw max amps (70-100 depending on your alts) and for an extended period of time can fry your volt reg. I always cruise with a spare volt reg in case I leave something on overnight and drain the batts. Cheaper that a tow or jump. Bad fuel or was it old fuel from your newly purchased fresh water boat? If if came from fresh water it most likely did not see any significant wave action thereby creating a level of rust/debris at the bottom of your tanks. Once in the blue water off shore it woul dbecome stired up and clog racor and mains. Good luck.

New 42 Present Sundeck owner here.
Need some help systems info, none provided , we have records of all additions but nothing on the boat.

Chris

Are you perhaps referring to a President?

I'd say probably not- there are Present and President Trawlers.....

Well, so there are. They all seem to be concentrated in Florida, but sure enough there are Present as well as President trawlers.

I can almost see it now. The Taiwanese used to sell almost the same boats to as many people they could find to carry them, often changing little more than the logos. Two dealers in the same market would each claim that their boat was vastly superior to the boat for sale across town, when really they were often 99% the same and turned out by the same yards. Could it be that by simply chopping our the "i" and the "d" from the name plates the President name was reused as Present?

Not saying with any authority that's what happened, but it wouldn't be inconsistent with many similar situations.

I love the Present 42. Almost bought one. But in the slip where we're going our neighbor has a President. So, once we're in, I can't wait to say "Excuse me, I need to go consult with the President". Just counting down the days... Heh heh heh. What's the typical engine in the Present? The one we almost bought had Perkins, but I've heard of Lehmans and Volvos in them too.

Present 38 here. It was built by Nautique in Taiwan. I've seen several Nautiques advertised in CA and the pictures look just like our Present, so I assume the yard sold some under their own name. Never compared pictures of Presidents so I don't know if they are the same or not.

Ours has twin FL SP225s. I think there is a member in LA that has a Present 42.

Bob

So glad to chat with other Present owners. For engines we have twin Ford Lehmans 135 hp with less than 200 hrs and an 8 Kw Wesyerbeke with less than 2000 hrs. We do have this mystery about the water tanks. There are 2 large ss under the bed in the main cabin. They haven't been used for some time and it appears that a drainage fitting is deteriorated. There is a ss water tank under the forward cabin the the previous renters used. The whole water/plumbing system is a crazed maze of additions and probably unused and never removed lines.
Does anyone else have these large ss tanks in the aft cabin and use them??
Desalination/watermakers looking better and better

On our 38 we have a 150 gal tank under the aft berth and a 75 gal tank under the forward berth. A PO has disconnected the forward tank from the fresh water system and used it with a washdown pump.

On our previous sailboat I built a 20 gph watermaker since we went into marinas or fuel docks very rarely. Now with the power boat I think we will be visiting fuel docks quite regularly and be able to keep the water tanks filled.

Bob

Thank you so much, our tanks under the aft berths are two sep tanks, I guess to fit. I think they are d/c'd. I have heard that the Present's may tend to plow underway ?? So thinking that aft water tanks would compensate ?
Hoping I can find a manual or info on the boat just to save time.

Chris

The only original docs I found with our boat was a wiring diagram which after all these years is pretty useless and general layout showing tanks, engines, etc., also not very useful.

Bob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom