How do you make coffee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Curious how the group makes its morning Joe on the hook?
Tom-

Mr. Coffee with paper cone filter (to make my doctor happy) and fresh ground "Starbucks" (of course) Sumatran beans When I want a cup, during the day, nuke it in the microwave. I'm down to three or four cups a day now. Used to make two or three, 12 cup pots a day. :blush:

Larry B

Cool Brew - add H2O to taste & nuke in uwave - great stuff! Local brand working its way west.

I just run the generator for my Mr. Coffee. My EU3000i can hardly be heard.
A friend grinds beans by hand and 'brews' the coffee overnight in a French press. 'Presses it the next morning and drinks it without ever applying heat.

Do you throw your coffee grounds overboard?

While living in the Dominican Republic, I learned that the value of the standard coffee pot (called "Greca") was a highly prized possession. When it came to selling everything I had and returning to the US, I wasn't surprised to have several people call me to ask for my Greca, which according to them, was the worlds best. Grecas are often crude and imperfect constructions, and when you find a good one that fits and seals properly, it makes all the difference in preparing ones coffee. Anyway, I became spoiled with my Greca and Santo Domingo brand coffee, and I've never had a better store-bought cup.

Attachments

• greca.jpg
    greca.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 163
Healhustler, stop by my store and we'll make you some fine Cuban coffee.

Hearing the ssss of the finished brew is easy , figuring who gets out of the sack is harder.

You mean you have a choice? For some reason I never thought it could be anyone but me. Perhaps I need to rethink the issue.......Arctic Traveller

Butane stove and a french press in the summer. Might check out the greca though. Dickinson Bristol diesel stove and perk the rest of the year.

Mr Coffee maker. Since we are toasting bread and microwaving in the morning most times I fire up the generator. I think according to my LINK if I just use the inverter a full pot of coffee cost about 25ah, peanuts out of a 800ah bank.

coffee - Coffee - COFFEE; makes me feel so fine! (old saying - circa late 1960's... I think??)

On Our Tolly Boat:

1. With SS whistle pot full of MMWD water (best water ever!)... Turn rear burner to high on elect stove... auto starts very quiet 7.5 gas powered Kohler genset.
2. Into glass coffeepot holding filter paper drip-cone with ground Starbucks (or equivalent quality coffee) thoughtfully trickle in hot water till filled.
3. Pour two, huge, insulated, drip less screw caped coffee mugs. One for us each!
4. Repeat steps 1 thru 3 (while sipping coffee from first brew) and pour 2nd coffee pot into thermal coffee jug for even more coffee fun!

XXX - - > Drink coffee, Coffee, COFFEE; cause, it makes us feel so fine!! < - - XXX

:eek: :thumb: :dance: ;) - - > :lol: :facepalm:

While living in the Dominican Republic, I learned that the value of the standard coffee pot (called "Greca") was a highly prized possession. When it came to selling everything I had and returning to the US, I wasn't surprised to have several people call me to ask for my Greca, which according to them, was the worlds best. Grecas are often crude and imperfect constructions, and when you find a good one that fits and seals properly, it makes all the difference in preparing ones coffee. Anyway, I became spoiled with my Greca and Santo Domingo brand coffee, and I've never had a better store-bought cup.
The Italian version is a "Bialetti". There are lots of copies,no idea which is the original. There are modern stainless steel versions.
Anyone tried luwak coffee? Not me,not yet. It`s coffee beans, eaten with the outer part intact, by a civet cat like animal. The actual beans, undigested, are "recovered" from the animal`s droppings, cleaned (thoroughly one hopes) and roasted in the usual way. Popular in Indonesia (we could have tried it in Bali this year), can be imported to Australia if duly certified. People who try it say it is the best ever coffee, but so much depends on roasting, storage ,freshness etc, hard to compare. BruceK

Our new to us generator is always fired up in the morning- So the mister coffee works fine. We are having a good old time putting toast in the toaster, using the the microwave, and heating up the hot water heater whenever we want.

Besides battery charging and watching the news on TV! Enough said--Yeah I like my generator. And having an airconditioned salon while piloting the boat on a muggy or buggy day is amazing.

With a fresh cup of Joe what more could one want?

JohnP

Very simple. Boil water on the propane stove top, pour said water into a cup, add and stir a heaping teaspoon of Grandos' double expresso instant coffee.

We use a Krupps cappuccino machine to brew six or so cups for the crew every morning. Usually this can be done off the inverter but if we are cooking breakfast then the genny comes on. Love the mornings!

We have a Nespresso Pixie machine. This uses capsules which consistently make the best possible coffee.

Percolator on propane stove top. It's the best coffee. Not sure why we don't use one at home.

I'm not a habitual consumer of coffee. Nevertheless, generally found that Europeans brew better (richer/stronger but not acidic) coffee than Americans. The coffee at breakfasts in the 3-star hotels in Zurich and Milan were highpoints. I'd betcha that most Europeans visiting the U.S. are disappointed with our coffee makings.

I'm not a habitual consumer of coffee. Nevertheless, generally found that Europeans brew better (richer/stronger but not acidic) coffee than Americans. The coffee at breakfasts in the 3-star hotels in Zurich and Milan were highpoints. I'd betcha that most Europeans visiting the U.S. are disappointed with our coffee makings.

Then they would hate cowboy coffee...boil water in a pot...throw in a handful of grounds...add a tad cold water to make'm sink....:D

I have a 400 amp house bank tied to a Xantra 2000 watt inverter. Previously every time I was on the hook and the coffee maker fired up the inverter cycled on and off due to low batt voltage. I figured out that the inverter cable were to small. after replacing with 1/0 cable the voltage drop did not drop out the inverter. Hot java and the admiral is happy.

Coffee Anyone? :socool: :thumb: :D

Attachments

• Coffe Anyone.jpg
    Coffe Anyone.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 89
Morning Coffee!!! :lol: :dance: :angel:

Attachments

• Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 107
Making coffee is real easy for us.Way easier than anything posted here.We don't.I am not sure why,but the smell of coffee makes me puke and the taste of coffee makes the SO puke.I sometimes think it's the only glue that holds us together.

Boil the water on the alcohol stove and pour into a 4 cup french press. Great coffee.

I start with 8 O'Clock coffee 100% Colombian bean. Rated a "best buy" by Consumer's Report years ago, I've always liked it and it is a good value compared to some of the "gourmet" coffee out there. Have a very good burr grinder on the boat, despite the lack of counter space. My normal maker is a drip, but I also have a SS percolator for coffee on the hook without the genset and a little espresso pot that also works with the propane stove. Whatever I make, if I don't immediately drink it, goes into a true vacuum bottle.

Nothing ruins a peaceful morning on the hook in a quite anchorage like the sound of someone's generator. We heat water in a teapot on the propane stove and pour it through a Malita filter into a cup or thermos.

Nothing ruins a peaceful morning on the hook in a quite anchorage like the sound of someone's generator. We heat water in a teapot on the propane stove and pour it through a Malita filter into a cup or thermos.

There are lots of unnatural noises that break the silence of an anchorage...including your arrival if your the second boat...so to blame a generator for ruining your day is a tough way to enjoy the cruising life....:D

Nothing ruins a peaceful morning on the hook in a quite anchorage like the sound of someone's generator.

And a peaceful afternoon,

A peaceful evening.

A peaceful night!

And dont even mention the stench.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom