View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #41
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I've logged 20,000hrs running single engine boats ... never saw a need for a second engine.
I have no bias against single engine boats--- the GB we chartered before buying our own was a single and it was no problem to maneuver. I just like running engines. It's fun to be able to spin it around and walk it this way and that and basically put it anywhere you want by manipulating the shifters and throttles and rudders.

One can accomplish anything with a single that can be accomplished with a twin. The techniques are different in some cases but the end result will be the same. But I like operating machines of any kind so I simply find it a lot more fun to operate multiple engines instead of just one. After having a twin engine boat for the past 14 years I would not want a single anymore. Not as fun to operate. I'd have three engines if we could fit them in.

As to the redundancy thing, we've been glad to have the second engine four times since we bought the boat. Once (on the delivery trip) for a failing coolant pump seal, twice for raw water intake clogs, and once because I screwed up during a fuel transfer and let one engine get a big slug of air. In all four cases it was dirt simple to tie off the non-powered shaft and complete the journey on one. No fuss, no waiting around, no radio calls, no hoping the current didn't carry us onto a rock or reef before the towboat arrived. Just went on our merry albeit slightly slower way.

But mainly I like having multiple engines and transmissions to operate. From an operational standpoint I would find a single engine boat considerably less interesting and enjoyable.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote