From Sails to Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vessels7

Made the jump today from a 42ft Catalina to a 58ft Roughwater. Let the learning begin.

That's a huge leap! Welcome to the forum and the trawler lifestyle!

Learn to dock it in a breeze and your 90% home.

We own a 58 RW, Eagle, and been a live aboard for 15 years. So where are you located and what was the name of the boat.

We are located in Hawaii, boat name is Sentience. Lived aboard our Catalina 42 since 2008.

Starting on the massive amounts teak tomorrow.

Teak is a great hobby!

Teak is a great hobby!
No it's not. It's a chore like cutting the grass; it's seems like you are never far from doing it again and you know that will never change. :trash:

Ted

In the Carib , the chant is .

Da coat de month mon!

Not a hobby of mine.

For folks that prefer cruising to being just a varnish hand there are choices.

Slather varnish on till you have 3 or 4 fresh coats and are out of varnish, dont bother with super fine sanding between coats, , then prime and paint 2 coats of marine paint.

If it becomes time for varnish again (probably to sell the boat) the paint will only be stuck to the varnish , not into the pores of the wood.

MUCH easier to remove. Works below too for the Coffin decore of many boats.

Second exterior choice , big with the yachtie set, is a fitted cover to cover all the varnish.

Have fun with your new hobby!

Last edited:

If you are a live aboard maintaining the boat and the teak becomes part of your daily routine no matter where you are moored. It no not an either or situation, cruise or varnish, I find it relaxing and pride of ownership as people to notice the bright teak work. I do know if the Eagle was in the sunny climates, I would change the decks/roof/canvas to a lighter color. The front teak dark deck which is sealed in the direct sun light does get hot/warm.

Since you have lived on a sail boat, there should not be to big of a learning curve as the 58 hull is full displacement with a full length deep keel, so it sort of resembles and handles like a sail boat. Might have a bigger prop walk than you are use to?

I agree wtih FF, to do the varnishing before you paint as the paint can be wipped off easy from the varnish rather than bing absorbed into the wood. First thing each years is the varnish then paint.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom