View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #47
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Wannabe windows have additional benefits besides reducing wave impact. Ship docking tugs use them (as do air traffic control towers) to reduce glare and reflection in both daylight and at night. They also create space above the helm for mounting electronic toys of your choice. Any body who thinks they don't lessen wave impact has never been in my world.
SoF

You are quite correct - - - > I conjecture that most on this forum have never been in your world (know I haven’t, sounds exhilarating though) and I’m confident that forward raked windows are quite a good thing in BIG open ocean storms with crashing waves (only seems logical). That style window probably would work well under many other circumstances you mention too. For the “toy” boats most of us have... the exterior brow over pilot windows on salon face suffice and some here have explicit preferences as to the “cosmetic look” provided by certain style windows... each to their own re window rake or style... till your world is entered, then forward rake seems the logical window angle to have for sturdiness, usefulness, and safety! As always, safe sailing to ya!
Cheers! Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote