Old 09-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Art
I also have TAMD41A Volvos. Mine are about 1990, so no different. Mine have 3000 hours on them. I bought mine and repowered at 1500 hrs. since then they have run mostly at 2100 rpm. I recently had an issue: my on engine fuel filter on the port engine clogged (after 1500 hours) so I had to replace it. I am thinking of doing the one on the Starboard engine soon.

I hear all the time about how expensive Volvo parts are. Frankly, that information is flagrantly inflammatory, as these engines are so reliable, they never need the parts. I think that is why the parts cost so much....nobody keeps them in stock, so they have to be ordered from the factory, if ever actually needed.

Smoky at startup? sure, for a minute or two, then clean running. This is just a measure of injection pressure. Look at any boat that puts out smoke at startup and quiz the owner about the age of his engines. You will find a correlation between the year of the engine (hence the injection pressure) and the amount of smoke. You will not find a correlation between the make of the engine and the amount of smoke. They all used to be smoky. Now they are all required to be smoke free. Injection pressures have risen over the last 40 years from under 1000 psi to over 25000 psi, all in search of cleaner burning.

No, I have no financial interest in Volvo, I just like a quality product.
Thanks, koliver... Volvo ought to hire you as their web promoter! You've got humor and fact combined to produce a huge thumbs-up for these engines. I will move further into review of the sport fisher that contains these Volvo Diesels. - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote