Interesting trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delfin

Grand Vizier
Saw this vessel at the dock today. I was told it was built at Nanaimo boatyards in B.C. She appears to be all aluminum, around 60'.

Attachments

• Pacific song.jpg
    Pacific song.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 698
  • Pacific song aft deck.jpg
    Pacific song aft deck.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 361
  • Pacific song dolphins.jpg
    Pacific song dolphins.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 319
  • Pacific song stern.jpg
    Pacific song stern.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 317
A beautiful boat; I've wandered around it a number of times at the dock in Campbell River, which I think is its home berth. Appears to be well thought out.

Beautiful? I'd only go so far as as describing it utilitarian in appearance.

Looks very salty and seaworthy!

She was built by a guy that lived in Port Townsend for a bunch of years, he also had the concession for the fuel dock here. Bill built a number of those hulls, and a few of different design .. one I know he was commissioned to build was a Roberts 43 trawler. He built one in about a year, then he ran it down to Cabo.. out to the Marquesas.. up to hawaii... and back to Port Townsend in seven months for a shake down cruise. There is a sister ship to this one ( Mv. Pacific ) that the P.T Shipwrights added about 12' to the foredeck and dumped a literal boat load of cash into a few years ago. Another of his boats was involved in a covered marina fire years ago on Lake Union and was pretty trashed.. It ended up back here in P.T. as a bare hull that needed a complete new deck, house and everything else. It had a big Cat in it... it sold for about 3 grand and was scrapped... I really looked hard at a complete rebuild of the hull ... but I had a moment of enlightenment and ran the opposite direction. To my knowledge all his hulls were steel.
HOLLYWOOD

A picture of the Pacific is on for the advertisement of Port Townsend Shipwrights Co-Op in the Northwest Yachting.

She was built by a guy that lived in Port Townsend for a bunch of years, he also had the concession for the fuel dock here. Bill built a number of those hulls, and a few of different design .. one I know he was commissioned to build was a Roberts 43 trawler. He built one in about a year, then he ran it down to Cabo.. out to the Marquesas.. up to hawaii... and back to Port Townsend in seven months for a shake down cruise. There is a sister ship to this one ( Mv. Pacific ) that the P.T Shipwrights added about 12' to the foredeck and dumped a literal boat load of cash into a few years ago. Another of his boats was involved in a covered marina fire years ago on Lake Union and was pretty trashed.. It ended up back here in P.T. as a bare hull that needed a complete new deck, house and everything else. It had a big Cat in it... it sold for about 3 grand and was scrapped... I really looked hard at a complete rebuild of the hull ... but I had a moment of enlightenment and ran the opposite direction. To my knowledge all his hulls were steel.
HOLLYWOOD
Do you know how they affixed the aluminum to the bow? Perhaps just 5200, but I thought I saw weld lines. I remember now seeing the m/v Pacific in Friday Harbor and talking to the owner about the addition of 12' just forward of the bridge. Sounded expensive.

Beautiful?

I agree w Mark. And PG I'll go for the salty but I'd like to see her bottom before pronouncing her seaworthy. But yes she looks seaworthy in the pic.

Re Marin's feelings about fwd slanted pilothouse windows this one would look less like a toy w windows more vertical. But if you're running downwind in the rain those windows may stay almost dry. So may my windows on Willy. Delfin's windows look really right to me.

Delfin got it right "interesting trawler". As does Griffin (as shown).

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 533 copy 2.JPG
    all to 12-15-09 533 copy 2.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Love it - she is beautiful! It's all in the lines; utilitarian or not....

I gotta stop looking at this stuff.

Yummmmmm - - - >>>> !!!!

.... about fwd slanted pilothouse windows this one would look less like a toy w windows more vertical.

When your wheelhouse windows are so far aft, forward raking is not so much for seakeeping safety but more so for being able to oversee a working weatherdeck.
If she is not a working boat, and the wheelhouse is so far aft, raking the windscreen backwards in yacht fashion is quite acceptable.
If you have to worry about boarding seas damage impacting on a properly gauged and well framed tempered glass windshield that far aft, you are way beyond a 60' vessel's seakeeping ability and it is time to ready the liferafts.....

Conversely, here is an example of a high endurance, small 44' boat with the right stuff kind of windshield, very close to harm's way and not raked much forward:

CCG-CS@BPe.JPG

Last edited:
When your wheelhouse windows are so far aft, forward raking is not so much for seakeeping safety but more so for being able to oversee a working weatherdeck.
If she is not a working boat, and the wheelhouse is so far aft, raking the windscreen backwards in yacht fashion is quite acceptable.
If you have to worry about boarding seas damage impacting on a properly gauged and well framed tempered glass windshield that far aft, you are way beyond a 60' vessel's seakeeping ability and it is time to ready the liferafts.....
During a momentary lapse of reason, we crossed Nahwitti Bar at the north end of Vancouver Island into the Pacific after the ebb had turned by about 10 minutes. We quickly went from glass smooth to dealing with some stunningly tall waves of very short period. We took one wave completely over Delfin, and I was grateful that her pilot house windows were raked back rather than forward. I think the pressure on them would have been quite a lot greater if they were raked forward, but it's hard to know for sure.

..... and I was grateful that her pilot house windows were raked back rather than forward. I think the pressure on them would have been quite a lot greater if they were raked forward, but it's hard to know for sure.

You have that overhanging brow of your wheelhouse deckhead too.
Much like in many cases of flybridge boats as well, the bridge brow overhangs forward.
Many people don't realize, but the over hanging brow is designed to break the falling waves in a horizontal axis, therefore dissipating their pressure on the windshield. Given the correct gauging of glass and structurally appropriate framing, most vertical or near vertical windshields can withstand an awful lot of pressure. The 44 motor lifeboat in my post is a perfect example; she was meant to be knocked down and recover.

You have that overhanging brow of your wheelhouse deckhead too.
Much like in many cases of flybridge boats as well, the bridge brow overhangs forward.
Many people don't realize, but the over hanging brow is designed to break the falling waves in a horizontal axis, therefore dissipating their pressure on the windshield. Given the correct gauging of glass and structurally appropriate framing, most vertical or near vertical windshields can withstand an awful lot of pressure. The 44 motor lifeboat in my post is a perfect example; she was meant to be knocked down and recover.
Thank you Capt. I was not aware that the overhang was a specific design feature, but what you say makes sense.

Come to think of it, overhang is fairly common. Like the Coot, the 60-foot, diesel-electric Keliautojas has a generous overhang.

img_104478_0_5614df5246abb3fbe4a74582a3d4cbbd.jpg

Last edited:
Come to think of it, overhang is fairly common. Like the Coot, the 60-foot, diesel-electric Keliautojas has a generous overhang.
Perhaps I missed the point, but I believe he was referring to the overhang below the pilot house windows, which would absorb much of the energy of a deck sweeping wave hitting the pilot house. The eyebrow above the windows is certainly common, if not universal.

Attachments

• Close up pilot house.JPG
    Close up pilot house.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 170
Perhaps I missed the point, but I believe he was referring to the overhang below the pilot house windows, which would absorb much of the energy of a deck sweeping wave hitting the pilot house. The eyebrow above the windows is certainly common, if not universal.

Yes. Captain Joe was referring to the overhang above the pilothouse windows, not below the windows. Flying bridges are above the pilothouse.

And a good price: Keliautojas

Nice boat.

That high nosed (photo 6) and low center of gravity (photo 85) baby looks like it can handle some powerful frontal seas, forward quarter seas, and even beam seas... but... her transom (photo 81) worries me if a real tall and fast moving following sea became present. It looks to me that the following-wave encasement-prone cup-design, that is just a few feet above a gently curved following-wave shedding transom, might make it difficult to keep her steered on the straight path required to avoid breaching possibilities. Just a cautionary observation.

Her transom is pretty high (please excuse the finger in the foreground).

img_104491_0_bbf9d7024cce1042fcb2cfea3269f47f.jpg

Last edited:
Her transom is pretty high (please excuse the finger in the foreground).

The just a few feet tall, gently rounded transom I was referring to is where the boot stripe exists and water touches while boat is at rest.

IMHO: I believe the seemingly flat and quite high "inset-secondary" transom, with its extended cupped sides, would capture the full energy of a "tall" following sea and not allow said energy it to dissipate, i.e. slide off. Even the slightest deviation of angle to perfectly straight would thrust the waves' energy toward the resulting wave-facing cup extension. This energy burst would tend to throw the boat's forward motion and direction off course. If the following sea was aggressive enough repeat offending following-waves might make piloting an adventure to behold! :eek:

img_104495_0_bbf9d7024cce1042fcb2cfea3269f47f.jpg

Last edited:
manyboats said:
Re Marin's feelings about fwd slanted pilothouse windows this one would look less like a toy w windows more vertical. But if you're running downwind in the rain those windows may stay almost dry. So may my windows on Willy. Delfin's windows look really right to me.

I agree that the boat in your shot would look nice with vertical windows, too. I don't mind vertical windows. On many designs I think they work very well and in many cases look better than if the windows had been raked back. It's just the forward raked wannabe windows that I think look bad on virtually every boat that has them. Functional, maybe if it's a boat that warrants that type of window. But on a recreational boat to me they just look dumb while at the same time destroying what good aesthetic lines the boat would otherwise have.

image-3506862956.jpg

image-3943491696.jpg

Yes. Captain Joe was referring to the overhang above the pilothouse windows, not below the windows. Flying bridges are above the pilothouse.
As noted, I hadn't thought of the impact on deck waves of the overhang below the pilot house, and perhaps that is not what Joe was referring to, but the lower overhang is a feature of North Sea boats, and is presumably there for a reason. Waves would expend a great deal of their force hitting that overhang before coming in contact with the pilot house glass, while the eyebrow would tend to increase the pressure. It seems that the lower overhang is superior to a Portuguese bridge, which would seem to funnel the wave onto the glass. Below are some pictures showing this feature in North Sea boats. The first two are Malahides. Incidentally, the fourth picture of Neptunus Rex is the before picture for a truly spectacular restoration that transformed this Romsdal to the third picture of the Discovery.

Attachments

• Malahide.jpg
    Malahide.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 262
  • Ursa Major.jpg
    Ursa Major.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 263
  • Neptunus Rex before.png
    Neptunus Rex before.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 986
  • Discovery.jpg
    Discovery.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 189
Art, the last I saw, 99 percent of our boats have square transoms, but that doesn't necessarily make them unseaworthy (although almost all of ours, including mine, are no more than coastal/gunk-holing cruisers.) Gee, the Keliautojas transom is at least twice as high as mine.

img_104511_0_9dbd52685a55d76a9f0497c00333f4bc.jpg

Ray, it often seems the Coot is physically drawn toward the Keliautojas when exiting the marina, but thankfully I'm not responsible for paying for its haulouts or maintenance of its many wonderful systems.

Last edited:
As noted, I hadn't thought of the impact on deck waves of the overhang below the pilot house, and perhaps that is not what Joe was referring to, but the lower overhang is a feature of North Sea boats, and is presumably there for a reason. Waves would expend a great deal of their force hitting that overhang before coming in contact with the pilot house glass, while the eyebrow would tend to increase the pressure.

Looks like a good idea. I suppose it all depends on the individual boat's geometry and the wisdom/judgment of the designer/builder.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom