Winter Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Almost every boat at my marina is pulled out for the winter. Except for a handful that never seem to move at all. I'm going to ask the old-timers "Why?"

I think I've seen Cap'n Chuck's "Beach House" at her slip across the creek through at least 1 winter.

And, I'm looking at bilge heaters!

Have fun with your shrink wrap

Attachments

• Cuddy Shrink.jpg
    Cuddy Shrink.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 227
Almost every boat at my marina is pulled out for the winter. Except for a handful that never seem to move at all. I'm going to ask the old-timers "Why?"

They might wonder "why?" people pull their boats this early.

I used to live just off St. Marys river, in the St. Indigos area. There would be a few more weeks to a month and a half or more of "good" weather from what I recall. I'd boat in most of it given the chance.

I guess that most of them would be "family" boaters, on the water when school is out, put the boat in a bag till next spring.

Now you have me reconsidering. Anyone else here want to share their experiences of leaving the boat in year round in the Mid-Atlantic region?

I lived on my 37 sportfish in Annapolis winters of 97-99....used the boat all winter long...some winter days are pretty nice in the region...just this past February seemed like a September.

I'll be living aboard the 40 Albin on the Jersey shore till mid-Dec when I leave for the Southeast....probably will take 5 days to get from Cape May to Norfolk via the Chessie.

Last edited:
I guess that most of them would be "family" boaters, on the water when school is out, put the boat in a bag till next spring.

I used to be more in tune with this when I was sailing, but, I did notice that it seemed power-boater season was Memorial Day to Labor Day. Sailors started earlier and stayed later. I got into the habit of launching as soon as I could string together 2-3 days of weather warm enough to paint the bottom. And I wouldn't pull the boat out again until Thanksgiving weekend.

And then I was PO'd that I had when we got those beautiful, clear sky days in the 50's & 60's in the dead of winter.

..... it seemed power-boater season was Memorial Day to Labor Day.........

Same here and it's still plenty warm. It must have something to do with school being open, football season, or something like that.

For me, it's great. The crowds and the noise are (mostly) gone and I can enjoy the peace and quiet as well as the great boating weather.

For me, it's great. The crowds and the noise are (mostly) gone and I can enjoy the peace and quiet as well as the great boating weather.

That's the time that I love. Now till maybe late November, and late winter & early spring. March & April if I can get away. Warmer days, cool nights, and empty waters, beaches, roads, everything.

The best boating season out here in our opinions is September-June. Particularly the fall and winter. Late winter/early spring can see a succession of storms stomp through on a three to five day schedule.

Like everyone from here up through SE Alaska we leave our boat in the water year round. While night temps can get down below freezing it is rarely as cold during the day. We keep heat on the boat--- an electric oil heater in the aft cabin and another one in the engine room. So even on freezing days the engines will start right now if we want to go out. We also put a pillbox heater in the lazarette with the water tanks but we only turn it on if it's predicted to be freezing night and day for several days in a row, which generally only happens once or twice per winter.

With regards to winter covers some boaters here have full canvas covers made for their boats that they put on during the winter. Snow is not really a factor along the coast so these covers are more for rain and general weathering and don't require the elaborate bracing that's needed in the midwest and east. More common on sailboats than powerboats.

But.... we can get some strong windstorms in this area so it's critical that the covers be sewn together very well with good thread. If a seam rips loose the canvas will start to flap and this will rip the seams more and then the canvas, even if it's new, will start to fray and tear.

We watched a new, $10,000 full, fitted Sunbrella cover on a 40' Cheoy Lee sloop on or dock completely destroy itself over the course of its first winter. It started with just a small section of one seam coming apart. Owner lived in California and only used the boat for a few weeks in the winter, and his son, who lived in Bellingham, wasn't interested in the boat and never checked on it. Repeated calls by the Port to the owner resulted in no action. The destroyed cover ended up halfway in the water and the Port finally removed it as a hazard.

The best boating season out here in our opinions is September-June. Particularly the fall and winter. Late winter/early spring can see a succession of storms stomp through on a three to five day schedule.

Like everyone from here up through SE Alaska we leave our boat in the water year round. While night temps can get down below freezing it is rarely as cold during the day. We keep heat on the boat--- an electric oil heater in the aft cabin and another one in the engine room. So even on freezing days the engines will start right now if we want to go out. We also put a pillbox heater in the lazarette with the water tanks but we only turn it on if it's predicted to be freezing night and day for several days in a row, which generally only happens once or twice per winter.

With regards to winter covers some boaters here have full canvas covers made for their boats that they put on during the winter. Snow is not really a factor along the coast so these covers are more for rain and general weathering and don't require the elaborate bracing that's needed in the midwest and east. More common on sailboats than powerboats.

But.... we can get some strong windstorms in this area so it's critical that the covers be sewn together very well with good thread. If a seam rips loose the canvas will start to flap and this will rip the seams more and then the canvas, even if it's new, will start to fray and tear.

We watched a new, $10,000 full, fitted Sunbrella cover on a 40' Cheoy Lee sloop on or dock completely destroy itself over the course of its first winter. It started with just a small section of one seam coming apart. Owner lived in California and only used the boat for a few weeks in the winter, and his son, who lived in Bellingham, wasn't interested in the boat and never checked on it. Repeated calls by the Port to the owner resulted in no action. The destroyed cover ended up halfway in the water and the Port finally removed it as a hazard.

Where I am...except for custom covers or shrink wrapping (both of which I think are a waste on glass boats unless they have LOTS'O wood)...the homemade tarp covers often do more damage than they protect. Looks like a lot of people here put in a lot of effort on the frames...that's good and so is the below the gunnels theory on total tarping.

water storage

Lurker,
We are off the Potomac about 12 miles from the Bay on the VA side and have left the boat in the water for the past 4 years, usually at our own dock (one winter at a marina where some work was performed). At "home" we put an oil filled electric radiator (looks like old style radiator) in the ER and set it on 50. We do winterize the fresh water, AC and the heads in early December but leave the engines alone until January. We live about 1 1/2 hours away and go down most weekends to check on thing; I'll go after a snow or ice storm to clear the decks. We can build a boat house and one day I might but as of now she's exposed to the elements. The creek has frozen two of the past 4 years but the heater has kept the area around the boat open and so far no loss of electricity. The ice hasn't been that thick. No ill effects so far.
Bill Noftsinger
Amazing Grace

...Looks like a lot of people here put in a lot of effort on the frames...that's good and so is the below the gunnels theory on total tarping.

If your boat has been painted with a 2-part polyurethane such as Awlgrip, be very careful not to trap any moisture against the hull or decks. You can not tarp or shrink wrap tight to the hull (like post #3) or decks or you will cause blistering and delamination of the paint. This will not happen with gel-coat. Hobo's getting new paint for the second time and we are fixing paint blisters as a result of past practices.

If your boat has been painted with a 2-part polyurethane such as Awlgrip, be very careful not to trap any moisture against the hull or decks. You can not tarp or shrink wrap tight to the hull (like post #3) or decks or you will cause blistering and delamination of the paint. This will not happen with gel-coat. Hobo's getting new paint for the second time and we are fixing paint blisters as a result of past practices.

which really goes to my preference of no cover at all....:thumb:

just too many small details to worry about an object made to be outside anyway...

Sadly,
The winter cover up time is near.

What exactly is this "winter" you speak of? ;)

No seriously, when I lived in MD and had a smaller boat, I made a PVC frame for a tarp to cover the boat. I found out a few things:

1) PVC pipe is not very rigid so it needs a lot of support pieces or it will sag.

2) PVC pipe becomes brittle when cold so if you hit it or drop it on the ground when setting the frame up or taking it down, it can shatter.

3) If you don't make the frame (and cover) steep enough for snow to slide off, you'll have to clear it with a broom or something or the tarp will tear or the frame will break.

4) Same as #3 for rain. Puddles will damage the tarp, frame, or both.

5) Tarps don't last long in bright sunlight and/or strong winds.

I never tried these, but there's a company that makes fittings to use metal electrical conduit for tarp frames. Defender sells them.

Defender.com Search Results: kover klamps

While open boats such as bow riders and center consoles would benefit from being covered for the winter, I would think the typical trawler would do fine without a cover. They are pretty much watertight already.

I'm convinced. I'm now looking at bilge heaters. These guys seem to dominate the market Year Round Boating with the Xtreme Marine Engine Bilge Compartment Heater

Does anyone have anything good, bad or indifferent to say about this line of product?

I'm a little uncomfortable leaving an oil filled room space heater energized while not aboard. But I'll use one for cabin heat if necessary while cruising.

I'm convinced. I'm now looking at bilge heaters. These guys seem to dominate the market Year Round Boating with the Xtreme Marine Engine Bilge Compartment Heater

Does anyone have anything good, bad or indifferent to say about this line of product?

I'm a little uncomfortable leaving an oil filled room space heater energized while not aboard. But I'll use one for cabin heat if necessary while cruising.

If you have a gasoline powered boat, this or the BoatSafe heater are the only ones you should be using. You need something that's ignition protected and designed for gasoline powered boats.

I have one of the heaters from the link. I had it for my previous boat and kept it. It works but it doesn't come on until the temperature is pretty cool, I think about 40 degrees. I would have rather had something to come on at a warmer temperature to get some heat built up in the space as the outside temperature got colder. Perhaps you can talk to them about this.

Other than that, it did what it's supposed to do.

I would be careful in your selection heaters as your insurance coverage may be invalidated if you have a fire and it is determined that you had an inadequate heater. I've heard unsubstantiated stories of claims being denied even when the heater had nothing to do with the damage.

Any of the oil filled heaters I've seen are not acceptable, but that doesn't mean that none are any good.

Just a caution.

On the recommendation of the former ower of wood boat that was in the next slip for years we changed from electric ceramic heaters to the oil-filled heaters, the ones that look like little steam radiators. No exposed heating element, no fan, they don't get hot enough on the lowest setting (600w), and they come back on by themselves if the power in the marina is interupted and restored (the ceramic heaters we had been using didn't--- they had to be reset.)

The one in the engine room keeps that space at about 55 degrees even on the coldest days. The one in the aft cabin keeps the interior of the boat dry and takes the chill off although I would not say it keeps the interior warm.

We've been using them for about ten or eleven years now and they work as advertised.

We only use these heaters when the boat is in its slip. Our boat spent it's whole life in California before we bought it so it has no on-board heat at all. We use a portable heater when we're cruising in the winter. Someday we'll install a good diesel heat system but for now it's not high on the priority list.

Last edited:
re: Denied insurance claims - If insurance companies could refuse to pay claims because someone did something wrong or stupid, they would never pay out a cent. They pay. They might drop you later, but they must pay.

Think about it - can your car insurance company refuse to pay a claim because you drove drunk and had a accident? Because you had a bald tire?

Well now .... $75 a pop for the oil filled space heaters or $400 - $600 for the Xtreme bilge heaters.

Will Allstate buy me a new boat if I burn this one up? I'm somewhat reluctant to call and ask, because once you're on record .....

I think I'll watch this thread a little longer before I start plunking down my cash.

re: Denied insurance claims - If insurance companies could refuse to pay claims because someone did something wrong or stupid, they would never pay out a cent. They pay. They might drop you later, but they must pay.

Think about it - can your car insurance company refuse to pay a claim because you drove drunk and had a accident? Because you had a bald tire?

I don't know about the bald tires, but around here if you drive drunk and cause an accident, your insurance won't pay.

Well now .... $75 a pop for the oil filled space heaters or $400 - $600 for the Xtreme bilge heaters.

Will Allstate buy me a new boat if I burn this one up? I'm somewhat reluctant to call and ask, because once you're on record .....

I think I'll watch this thread a little longer before I start plunking down my cash.

Do you or do you not have a gasoline powered boat?

I don't know about the bald tires, but around here if you drive drunk and cause an accident, your insurance won't pay.

You're going to have to post some proof. My policy does not have such an exclusion.

I have one of the Xtreme heaters but if I had a do-over I would go with the oil/radiator.

Do you or do you not have a gasoline powered boat?

Very important question. Because if one has a gasoline boat I would NEVER recommend putting an electric oil heater on board, particularly not in the engine room. These things are not spark-proof. When the thermostat clicks on to turn on the heating element there is a slight flash from the housing which says to me that the unit is not spark-shielded.

You're going to have to post some proof. My policy does not have such an exclusion.

I agree, I've read every word in my policy and it does not have an exclusion that would apply either.

And, please don't post car insurance examples, these are boats, not cars. Few people have all risk agreed value insurance on their car, they are not the same type of insurance.

OK, first, that's Canada. Second, it's just an article on the Internet. It doesn't seem to come from any official source, it's just something to scare people from driving drunk (not that I believe people should drive drunk but that's another issue).

In the USA, most states require auto liability insurance. I don't believe a policy that would not pay out if the driver had been drinking would qualify under these laws, because a drinking driver would then become an uninsured motorist for all practical purposes.

Let's leave the drinking for a moment. You (and other people from time to time) seem to be saying that if the insured does something wrong, his/her insurance company does not have to pay the damages. My wife was broadsided a few years ago by a driver who ran a stop sign. His insurance paid even though he had done something wrong (and illegal) by not stopping at the stop sign.

I think you are mistaken on this.

Diesel. The ubiquitous FL120.

OK, you don't have to worry about ignition protection, sparks ignighting gasoline fumes, etc.

You still should be worried about fire safety, tip over prevention, reliability, etc. And of course, electrical heat of any type doesn't work if the power goes off.

I'm a little surprised that one of the anti marine specific product people hasn't suggested a light bulb hanging from a drop cord. That's the common el-cheapo solution. :rolleyes:

West Marine sells an electric heater that's flat and pretty much tip proof. I bought one to use a couple years ago when my reverse cycle AC failed.

OK, you don't have to worry about ignition protection, sparks ignighting gasoline fumes, etc.

You still should be worried about fire safety, tip over prevention, reliability, etc. And of course, electrical heat of any type doesn't work if the power goes off.

I'm a little surprised that one of the anti marine specific product people hasn't suggested a light bulb hanging from a drop cord. That's the common el-cheapo solution. :rolleyes:

West Marine sells an electric heater that's flat and pretty much tip proof. I bought one to use a couple years ago when my reverse cycle AC failed.

Hey does it work???? :D

Will 100 watt light bulb really keep a 1500 pound engine/tranny and another 2000 pounds of steel tanks/fuel warm???? :rofl:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom