Grabbing the Mooring Bouy Ring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like your plan Marin. Necessity (and a healthy dose of fear) is the mother of all invention.

I think I'll start up a boak hook salvage operation and sell the hooks back to their owners for a fee. That, or invent a floating boat hook. Maybe that's been thought of.

Many boat hooks DO float because they are wood....that's all we use on our assistance towing boats..12 feet of oak :D

Actually floating boat hooks were all the rage till boating became popular and someone thought a telescoping boat hook (extraordinarily dangerous sometimes) would be cool...:socool:

Swimming noodles make good boat hook floats and protects the surface they may come in contact with.

I do have a question on mooring.How does one determine the rode scope between the ball and boat?I've seen some boats right on the ball and some nearly 100 feet away.Most of the boats I see like this are in the 30-40 foot range.

Swimming noodles make good boat hook floats and protects the surface they may come in contact with.

I do have a question on mooring.How does one determine the rode scope between the ball and boat?I've seen some boats right on the ball and some nearly 100 feet away.Most of the boats I see like this are in the 30-40 foot range.

Unless you think you are gonna pull the mooring ball under...it doesn't matter...

In a mooring field if you have too much scope you will swing too much. The mooring ball connection with the anchor has slack. Usually a short connection from the boat to the mooring ball is all you need.

In a mooring field if you have too much scope you will swing too much. The mooring ball connection with the anchor has slack. Usually a short connection from the boat to the mooring ball is all you need.

That was my line of thinking but I was unsure.Why is it that some people insist on a long scope from the ball in Charleston Harbor?Well,maybe not exactly there but close by.

We pull the mooring ball up pretty close under the bow. Not so close that it bangs against the bow all the time. But probably about four or five feet away from it if the wind or current is holding us off of it.

Someone in Australia has invented a magnetic mooring system. An electromagnet on the bow gets attracted to a specially designed mooring buoy. With the boat magnetically held, you attach the line at leisure. Website is | MagnaMoor. Obviously it is for your private mooring,not public ones like, Angel Island etc.
It is designed for boats 8-20 meters.Presumably potential issues with metal objects on the bow (anchor,chain,windlass) have been resolved. BruceK

That`s not the web address I typed. I don`t see the point in redoing it,it will likely get corrupted again. BruceK

" I know that over usage, bad boating habits, etc has caused a significant amount of damage to the bays and harbors."

Wow!! the bottom mud wore out ,

or so much was taken away being stuck to anchor chain the anchorage is now too deep to find bottom?

Seeing the photos of Ewing Cove reminded me of a boater learning a valuable lesson and a good one for us all. Years ago when we had a sailboat we were on the third buoy in the line at Ewing cove, no boat on the second, a Carver 32 on the first. early in the morning one fine day all hell broke loose while we were still asleep in the forward berth. We raced on deck to yelling and cursing ( some of it mine) to find the Carver impaled momentarily on our bow pulpit and the anchor hanging in the rack. then it slowly started to slide down the starboard side. I quickly got a line to the fool on the other boat and tied him off to us, not wanting him to get away or crash into the next boat inline. Now, this all happened because the guy let go his mooring line before starting his motor and everybody on the Island knows this because of the volume his wife was using to tell him what a fool he was. Anybody who has been there knows how the current runs through that gap from the Strait of Georgia. Even if I had been on deck I could not have prevented this event from taking place with any degree of safety. Our pulpit went through their salon window scattering glass all over our deck. Sorry to be so long winded but it comes back in vivid detail.

the link works. Interesting idea!
Glad to hear it.
Another idea here is a stick on a float attached by a line,to your personal mooring buoy. The stick reaches the height you need to just motor up and grab it,no boathook required. You can even have a solar light on it.It comes onboard and you clip it to the pulpit.
Trouble is it takes away the mystery of deciphering signals from the bow to the helm. BruceK

A shot of expanding foam into the smallest diameter section of a telescoping boat hook should be enough flotation to keep that end up if it goes overboard. you may not fill the whole section with foam, but you'll trap enough air in the end to give it the flotation it needs. But I'd tie a light line to it the first time testing it, just in case! DAMHIK.

The Happy Hooker device works very well if you operate it smoothly and deliberately, not jabbing it through the ring and jerking it back. Smooooth push in on the opening side of the device and a smooooth pull back along the other side of the hooker. It takes some practice to get the hang of it consistently, but once the technique is mastered, it works quite well.

Some people just can't operate a screwdriver proficiently, but that doesn't mean screwdrivers are inherently flawed. Some tools require more thought and effort to achieve mastery than others.

We've never tried using a Happy Hooker ourselves so our opinion of it is based on what we've observed over the years. However if it can be made to work as advertised and if the pole it's mounted on is long enough, it could provide a means of attaching our backup line to the buoy without the need to use the dinghy for this.

It's déjà vu all over again - Yogi Berra

Picking up the mooring from amidships does make things easier. Especially with a sun deck beast like we have. Though if we can we totally cheat and use the dinghy. I'd like to see the new and improved happy hooker as I had bad luck with the prior version. I'm willing to give it another shot though as in theory it is a great idea.

Panther Happy Hooker Boat Mooring Hook - iboats.com - YouTube

PG,

I modified my plastic model with:

1. a larger ring attached to the existing ring. This allows it to accommodate larger lines without needing to tie on a smaller line temporarily.

and

2. replaced the plastic pivot pin with a stainless screw, washers and locknut. This was a weak point destined for failure.

I'll toss you mine next time we're in Ayala Cove together.

You guys could always spring for the stainless steel version of the Happy Hooker. It's only about $650...not including shipping, of course.

You guys could always spring for the stainless steel version of the Happy Hooker. It's only about $650...not including shipping, of course.

That's a bargain. I just found a place on-line selling it for $750. For that amount I could have a Boeing machine shop make me one, test it in the wind tunnel, and have it certificated by the FAA.:)

But seriously, I just watched the Happy Hooker video and I think I know why people up here have so much trouble with them and why they are not popular here. Almost all the mooring buoys here have "floppy" rings. In other words, the rings are on the chains that pass through the mooring buoy and so the ring usually lies flat on top of the ball. Or if it is standing up, it's so loose that simply touching it will cause it fall over onto the buoy. This is true of the marine park buoys with their "pyramids" as well.

From the video it's apparent that the thing works best when pushed against something stable, like a stanchion. It needs that resistance to open the "gate" or whatever they call it. Plus the two legs of the "hook" have to be able to pass on either side of the thing you're putting the line around. But here there is nothing to push against since the ring is usually lying flat on top of the buoy or is drooped down over the top of the pyramid and the legs of the hook can't move past the ring for the same reason.

And if the ring is standing up, the slightest push against it will flop it over You can pick it up with a boathook, which is what most people do, but you can't push anything against the edge of the ring in such a way to snap around it which is how the Happy Hooker seems to work.

Too bad, actually, as I was starting to think this device might actually prove useful for threading our back-up line when we moor to a ball or a park buoy.

Last edited:
FlyWright said:
Panther Happy Hooker Boat Mooring Hook - iboats.com - YouTube

PG,

I modified my plastic model with:

1. a larger ring attached to the existing ring. This allows it to accommodate larger lines without needing to tie on a smaller line temporarily.

and

2. replaced the plastic pivot pin with a stainless screw, washers and locknut. This was a weak point destined for failure.

I'll toss you mine next time we're in Ayala Cove together.

I think we saw your modifications when we were on your boat a few weeks ago. Looked much more substantial.

Re Marin's post about the floppy rings up in the PNW- yeah that wouldn't work too well.

Here's the "game" I was given when I was roasted later in the year of my happy hooker debacle.

Attachments

• image-3225332327.jpg
    image-3225332327.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 211
That's a bargain. I just found a place on-line selling it for $750. For that amount I could have a Boeing machine shop make me one, test it in the wind tunnel, and have it certificated by the FAA.:)

But seriously, I just watched the Happy Hooker video and I think I know why people up here have so much trouble with them and why they are not popular here. Almost all the mooring buoys here have "floppy" rings. In other words, the rings are on the chains that pass through the mooring buoy and so the ring usually lies flat on top of the ball. Or if it is standing up, it's so loose that simply touching it will cause it fall over onto the buoy. This is true of the marine park buoys with their "pyramids" as well.

From the video it's apparent that the thing works best when pushed against something stable, like a stanchion. It needs that resistance to open the "gate" or whatever they call it. Plus the two legs of the "hook" have to be able to pass on either side of the thing you're putting the line around. But here there is nothing to push against since the ring is usually lying flat on top of the buoy or is drooped down over the top of the pyramid and the legs of the hook can't move past the ring for the same reason.

And if the ring is standing up, the slightest push against it will flop it over You can pick it up with a boathook, which is what most people do, but you can't push anything against the edge of the ring in such a way to snap around it which is how the Happy Hooker seems to work.

Too bad, actually, as I was starting to think this device might actually prove useful for threading our back-up line when we moor to a ball or a park buoy.

I have yet to find a ring that I couldn't easily snag with our happy hooker. While it's true that many rings do flop, there always seems to be enough of a gap to get some purchase, get it lifted and push the leg through. Boat positioning is probably the key so that you can take your time. I always sidle up to the buoy on the starboard side so I can easily step out from the helm when it is in the optimum position for me, a few feet forward of the door. (This seems to work better than utilizing the Admiral who seems to be missing a co-ordination gene). I have my hooker on a 3x telescoping pole so reach isn't an issue, and I think it is easier to snag recalcitrant rings at an angle than it would be straight down from the bow.

Anyway...don't give up on it. I find it a very useful tool.

For a first-timer, it's great to have a pal in a dinghy to attach a boat's lines to mooring buoys.

img_106937_0_4842cb14980aa46151c4bfaf0c85381d.jpg

I agree that he's handy and fun to have around, but it costs alot in food and alcohol to support him.

Does the face in Mark's photo look like one with an alcohol-induced stupor?

No, he looks serious. And compared to purchasing a dinghy (and an outboard, considered vital by some but not me), inexpensive.

Last edited:
How did it work?

Moonchaser, Did you order one and use it? How did you like it? How did you disconnect it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Fred

Also take a look at the Robship hook and moor. More expensive but it seems to have a few advantages. Worked great for me last season. Can be used in a couple of situations in which the Happy Hooker will not work, such as a ring which is lying down.

Back
Top Bottom