Boat name-dink bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All the drawbridges I've been through on the Atlantic ICW ask for name and hailing port. The ones on the St. Johns River in FL did not.

All the drawbridges I've been through on the Atlantic ICW ask for name and hailing port. The ones on the St. Johns River in FL did not.

I've been through maybe 50 on the AICW, only been asked that one time. However, I've always had our alternate name and hailing port up which is easy to see with a pair of glasses. If they want to know, then should I state my vessel name whenever I request an opening? I usually just say "I'm a Southbound trawler approaching, and I'd like to request your next opening.." and they usually reply "we'll turn you around in a few minutes Cap!" or "4 PM is the next opening an that is in about 20 minutes."

I've been through maybe 50 on the AICW, only been asked that one time. However, I've always had our alternate name and hailing port up which is easy to see with a pair of glasses. If they want to know, then should I state my vessel name whenever I request an opening? I usually just say "I'm a Southbound trawler approaching, and I'd like to request your next opening.." and they usually reply "we'll turn you around in a few minutes Cap!" or "4 PM is the next opening an that is in about 20 minutes."

It's been my experience they just write down your name if they can see it...they request it when they can't.

I searched the CFR bridge regs and didn't see the requirement to keep a log but I know many do for some reason. Maybe it's the radio log they are keeping...either way if they ask...I answer and I've never heard one complain that they couldn't read your name for any reason...they just ask if they want to.

I don't have to have them opened for my boat, but I spend a lot of time where I can hear the VHF exchanges, and from my experience, anyone who asks to have the Ben Sawyer or Wappoo Cut bridges in the Charleston, SC area (on the ICW) will be asked for the boat's name and home port.

I have no idea why, but it happens.

I don't have to have them opened for my boat, but I spend a lot of time where I can hear the VHF exchanges, and from my experience, anyone who asks to have the Ben Sawyer or Wappoo Cut bridges in the Charleston, SC area (on the ICW) will be asked for the boat's name and home port.

I have no idea why, but it happens.

Ron, has the work on the Ben Sawyer Bridge been completed?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom