View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
rwidman
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
It pertains to this topic as the issue of fuses was brought up in the port prior to mine.

I am ABYC Standards Certified and can tell you they definetly do not require fuses in any negative cable
Of course fuses aren't required in a negative cable. I don't believe I or anyone else implied that.

I will try to be very clear and specific:

Overcurrent protection (fuse or circuit breaker) must be installed at both the charger and the battery ends of the positive conductor (that is what I meant in my previous post if it wasn't absolutely clear) between the two.

The reason for this is that both the charger and the battery are capable of supplying current to the conductor. If overcurrent protection is only installed at the charger end and there's fault in the conductor, current from the battery could overload the conductor and cause overheating or a fire.

If overcurrent protection is only installed at the battery end and there's fault in the conductor, current from the charger could overload the conductor and cause overheating or a fire.

Note: Many chrgers include output overcurrent protection in their design so if this is the case, the installer must only install protection at the battery end of each leg.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote