how about a section for our smaller boats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twiisted71

Guru
Most of us have or have had or plan to get a smaller runabout rig (not quite in dinghy category), so perhaps a section to discuss them without cluttering other areas would be useful? Most of the smaller boats have their own websites but that is all they discuss is that particular brand (I know about TheHullTruth, IMHO lots of Jacka$$e$), this forum has some argumentative know it alls but its usually kept civil, so it might be a fun place to chat about our other floating toys.

Last edited:
Twist,
We could do away w all the specific brand sections and incorporate or replace them w sections for .... next best hobby, Design (lots of the talk on Gen Dis is on design), Acronyms, Pets, spouses and many other ideas will come to mind reading General Discussion but yea ... design and other boats ... or should it be other boating like Mark on his cruise ships. And a lot of us are old so we should have a section on medications as that's all old people talk about - right? When I feel like I'm the only old dude left i'll check my meds.

I would say that this is still a trawler forum. TBH, I don't see there are THAT many people with runabouts, bay boats, or skiffs to justify a whole sub forum for them, but I could be wrong about this. Still, this is what the Off Topic Forum is for. I am not totally against it, but I have been advocating for a while now that we already have too many lightly used brand specific/geographic forums and that we should consider revamping the directory. I don't really want to see us become like Cruisers Forum with an overwhelming number of forums. Not to say we won't evolve to that. Our community is currently small by compare to those guys.

Don't read my opinion as official policy. That is for Andy and Janet. I just was giving my opinion about the idea.

And you are right about The Hull Truth. I am a member there too and only go for The Carolina's and Electronics forums.

I agree about the make-specific "buckets.". Grand Banks, for example, has two excellent owners forums and just about everyone with a GB who wants to participate in an Internet forum uses them. So it's no wonder the GB bucket on this forum is almost never used. I think it could be eliminated without complaint. I can't speak for the other makes but participation should make it obvious which ones are not really needed.

I think discussions on our smaller, non-cruiser boats would fit fine in either the General or Off Topic buckets. Or perhaps even Dinghies if that title was expanded a bit.

Dinghy, Runabout and other boat Forum.

Or just dinghy and small boat forum

Runabouts and other sporting boats.

Dinghy and Other Non-Trawler Boats

Most of us have or have had or plan to get a smaller runabout rig (not quite in dinghy category), so perhaps a section to discuss them without cluttering other areas would be useful? Most of the smaller boats have their own websites but that is all they discuss is that particular brand (I know about TheHullTruth, IMHO lots of Jacka$$e$), this forum has some argumentative know it alls but its usually kept civil, so it might be a fun place to chat about our other floating toys.

I think that this is a good idea and that as suggested by others we could repurpose the Dinghy forum. I think there are some other organizational changes that could be made along these lines that would improve the forum as well and so we 'll take a look at this.

According to Marin, none of us has a Trawler boat unless we hang nets.

Problem solved for $25. drape this from your mast or boom no one will question your boat's "trawlerness"
Steve W

35ft trawl and boards(REDUCED)
I have around a 35ft trawl, good shape but could use a dipping and boards that could use some work, $25 .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom