AC Unit gone bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jann

I have a 2005 30ft mainship pilot, seems everytime I look at it something fails on it, I just keep fixing it.

This time the AC Compressor unit failed, Shop said the compressor was leaking at the bottom where there was rust and they could not fix it. They would need to replace it at $2600.

I'm trying to sell the boat to upgrade to a 34ft and don't want to put money into it. The Unit is a Dometic VDC7K-HP, does anyone know where I can get a used replacement a portable AC I can buy to get by the season.

Thanks for any info

Jann, I posted the following on CL, naturally it was immediately flagged. I cannot recommend Fred Salrin highly enough. You just don't find businesses like this anymore hardly. Tell him the guy in Cape Coral who needed a capacitor and relay that he helped troubleshoot over the phone sent you! He is in NAPLES. If you want some particulars PM me.
I included a link at the bottom.

This is not a for sale ad, but please don't flag as it has very valuable information. I have been without A/C on my trawler for 8 months or so, because the repair was just so expensive (new compressor, install, service was going to be 13-1500!) I'm not rich so to me this was a lot of money, but trying to overnight was miserable. I began trying to get some prices from Cruisair and they steered me to a company in Cape Coral. Their receptionist was down right rude and even hung up on me when I told her I didn't want to go through all her personal questions all I was doing was asking for some prices of parts and service rates. I called Cruisair back and was given a couple more service centers, Salrin marine is one of them. Not only did they give me some ballpark figures (they are inline with others in the area so no big bargain there), I actually spoke with the owner and he took the time to help me trouble shoot on the phone, direct me to some local places to buy parts AND figured out that I didn't need a compressor, all I needed were some electrical components that I could change for less than $75!!!! I have NO interest in Mr. Salrin's business other than hoping to shunt some business his way so that next time I need some A/C work hopefully they will still be around. He could have just been congenial, and gotten my business, charged me for new major components, made a tidy profit, and I'd have never been the wiser. However the way he dealt with my issue prompted me to send him some public kudos. Kirstine and Fred do things the old fashioned way and I really appreciated it. Here's a link to them, if you have a boat with air conditioning I recommend printing this out and putting it with your other boat system papers.

Cruise Cool - Marine AC, Refrigeration and HVAC, Naples Florida

Last edited:
Not trying to tell you your business, just a heads up. Before you do a band-aid fix with a portable unit, consider this. Fixing the A/C properly will most likely cost more than a new hatch unit, but.............you are already thinking of selling your boat. Where we live a boat with an A/C unit in place that is inop. can be a deal breaker to some (moreso than a boat that never had one). You'd likely get your money back when you sell as it would become an asset for the boat instead of a bargaining chip for your buyer.

What type of A/C unit is it? Googling that number gives me roof top RV type units. But I assume at that replacement price it is a water cooled marine unit.

I would be suspicious of your shop. These units (and the RV kind) have a hermetically sealed compressor and an oil leak from one just isn't going to happen.

$2,600 is the dealer price for a top of the line Cruisair 16,000 BTU unit. There are cheaper alternatives: Marineair and Webasto are available from defender for about $1,600.

David

twiisted71
I agree on Fred Salrin, his shop is saying I need a new unit, so I trust him .....He's the best... I just don't want to spend $2600.
Thanks for the info
djmarchand
I will look at defender
Thanks for the info

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom