Well hooked in Bute Inlet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weebobby

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Painters Cove
Vessel Make
1997 Bayliner 5788
We slept well, all alone at the head of Bute Inlet, probably no humans for 50 miles in any direction.
Gooyey mud , an 88 pound Rocna and an isolated anchorage what more could a guy want??

Bob

Attachments

• Bute 5.jpg
    Bute 5.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Bute 13.jpg
    Bute 13.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 172
We slept well in Von Donop Inlet last week, with a trawler rafted on our port side, and a sailboat rafted on our starboard side. When our Rocna came up with a struggle in the morning, it looked just like yours.

Beautiful!

But that's one reason I don't prefer "shovel/scoop" anchors.

Didn't have the mud problem on our trip south but I only used a roll bar anchor once. Don't forget that the best shape for maximum resistance is a concave surface. I think the Frenchman that designed the Spade Anchor proved that. However there's more to anchors than resistance and holding power and the highest holding power anchor we know of has flat flukes. Who cares about the mud look at that picture!

an 88 pound Rocna and an isolated anchorage what more could a guy want??

A 2 inch Jabsco engine driven deck wash pump delivering 120 GPM?

We slept well, all alone at the head of Bute Inlet, probably no humans for 50 miles in any direction.
Gooyey mud , an 88 pound Rocna and an isolated anchorage what more could a guy want??

Bob

If you let that dry in the sun you'll have a piece of "artwork" that you can sell to the touristy folk back in port.

Here's another way to make sure you don't drag anchor. ;)

Attachments

• Anchor Snag.jpg
    Anchor Snag.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 175
Love it! And on a bayliner no less! Watch out TF- us Bayliner owners are going to take over these forums! ;)

Anchor trend?

Just got in today from a two-week trip through the Gulf Islands in BC. A mix of harbors and anchorages. And I was quite surprised by the number of rollbar anchors we saw this year as opposed to our previous annual trips.

One was a Manson as evidenced by the slotted shank (which the owner of the little Ranger Tug it was on was wisely not using-- his rode was secured to the hole :) ) while the others all appeared to be Rocnas. These ranged from relatively small ones on 25 to 30-foot sailboats and cruisers on up through 44, 55, and 66 pounders on power and sailboats, to huge ones on a couple of yachts as well as a purse seiner we saw in Nanaimo.

Where on previous trips north ours was rare enough to elicit the occasional comment or question from dock walkers, rollbar anchors now seem to be quite well known in the area. I was not keeping any sort of count but I'd guess we saw perhaps 30 boats all told with them in the Gulf islands. And I've been seeing more of them on boats-- mostly power but a few sail-- in the Seaview North yard here in Bellingham.

Ours was not challenged much during the trip as we had surprisingly dry and calm weather the whole two weeks. The most we experienced at anchor were a couple of days of 15-20 knot NW winds in an anchorage open to the Strait of Georgia. We anchored in sticky mud, loose mud, heavy grass, and last night clean sand. The anchor set solidly the first time each time.

No anchor is perfect or foolproof but so far this one is sure trying to be.:)

date.gif

My modified XYZ anchor has a 100% success score too and included in the test was a 50+ knot gale. Not bad for a relatively unknown anchor modified considerably by it's owner at the business end.
Let's have a pound for pound pulling test ... your boat at full throttle in fwd gear. Think your Rocna would hold?

Let's have a pound for pound pulling test ... your boat at full throttle in fwd gear. Think your Rocna would hold?

if it was well set and the bottom didn't give way and the deck hardware held, sure, why not?

Just back from a little more than 3 weeks up in the Islands. Our new Rocna hooked up first time each time, even in anchorages that gave our claw problems in years past. As Marin mentioned, the weather was quite nice, not really much of an anchor test, but we were pretty happy with the performance we saw.
We also saw a lot more rollbars than in years past.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom