Working from home,errrr boat questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a professional paper shuffler; contracts and pricing. I can, and do, most of my job telecommuting. I only need to go into the office to show the flag and schmooze the troops. I'm wondering if I'll be able to take my gig on the road in the future for another organization. Not everyone is comfortable with this. Even in my own company I see a lot of resistance to the telecommuting concept.

I'm thinking that we're going to have to wait until all the old school geezers retire or die to see this really take off.

Not everyone is comfortable with this. Even in my own company I see a lot of resistance to the telecommuting concept.

I'm thinking that we're going to have to wait until all the old school geezers retire or die to see this really take off.

Same thing at my employer. At least 50% of the paper shuffling positions here could just as easily be done from home but for the resistant to change culture.

When the old gaurd dies off, and eventually they will, the new team is going to save scads of cash maintaining and renovating office space.

Competition will get 'em first. Take an old school, past prime product or way of producing it, and it won't take long for someone with knowledge about current technologies, efficiencies, and desire to take their lunch, cheese, or whatever metaphor you'd like to use.

With regards to tele-commuting, and from a moving tele at that, be aware of multi state or multi jurrisdiction tax issues. Most localities and states have sucessfully taken the stand that your employee working "here" allows nexus to attach and the company ends up owing payroll taxes, sales taxes, business licenses, and corporate income taxes to that state, county, city, etc. Like it or not, those are real issues with very real and expensive costs. Insurance companies don't much like it either, because a certain amount of liability attaches as well, and it's always outside the control of the company. So while it sounds cool, it's highly problematic in reality. God only knows what'll happen in foreign waters or ports. Anyone know how to fill out a Canadian or Bahaman tax return?

Rambler, Your income is based on the state in which you are paid. So if your telecommuting from the Bahamas and your paycheck goes to Florida because that's where your address is, then it's based on Florida taxes, which there is no state income taxes. Our home base is Sarasota and that is the business address. So sales to Florida residents are taxed but sales to other states are not. In most but not all cases these issues are determined by the locations of the business either physical or business address and the address or residence of the employees. Chuck

Here is a list of courses that the college offers that I can get retraining in.There's 3 pages.
Programs & Degrees | Spartanburg Community College

I already have a cert in industrial mechanics,auto mechanics,and of all things,bicycle mechanics.All are about 20+ years out of date.

Rambler, Your income is based on the state in which you are paid.

In most but not all cases these issues are determined by the locations of the business either physical or business address and the address or residence of the employees. Chuck

I can't agree with that at all. Nexus laws attach based on where you perform the work, not the address on the stationary or where you bank. Trust me, or not if you like. This is what I do for a living.

So a transient, working on their boat, in Maryland waters, would owe Maryland taxes on the pro-rata share of income earned while in that state. And Maryland will extract their pound of taxes, California too, and every other state in which someone earns income.

Now, the realities are that the state may never know about the earnings generated by a transient boater, but, they do know about the athletes and entertainers, truckers, and many others that conduct business within their state. Ohio is dastardly about extracting their pound of taxes from all manner of businesses.

International is the same. Do business there, they want their taxes on your income generated in their country.

From where I sit, from my experiences and the experiences of my clients, it's not an issue to be slack about. Work from your boat if that's what you want to do, but be aware of the tax and legal issues that go with that activity. Talk to your legal advisor, your tax advisor and your insurance agent.

IF you can work "out" of the USA for 18 months , there are huge tax advantages!!!

IF you can work "out" of the USA for 18 months , there are huge tax advantages!!!

I don't know how that would work out.I have two kids.One doesn't live with me.

I could do the ebay thing,again.It's hard since they jacked up the fees and paypal has jacked their fees too.I'd be port hopping so there shouldn't be any issue with shipping or coming across deals from time to time.I may have to diversify.:lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom