Seattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
I spent today in the Seattle area. Took the ferry over to Bainbridge Is. and then hung out at a boat yard in Port Angeles. Nice day. Some interesting boats too.
KJ

Attachments

• S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 167
  • S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 143
  • S3.jpg
    S3.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 145
  • S6.jpg
    S6.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 148
  • S8.5.jpg
    S8.5.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 214
  • S8.jpg
    S8.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 188
  • S9.jpg
    S9.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 184
  • S10.jpg
    S10.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 154
  • S11.jpg
    S11.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 144
  • S12.jpg
    S12.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 140
This week end there is a boat afloat show on Lake Union. We were invited to VIP tonight, since we use to live/moor at the South End which we will not attended, but maybe on Saturday.

The Port Townsend is another yard I enjoy wandering thru as it more large commercial and pleasure as the lift is 9 straps and 150 tons.

There are still several old 30-40's fantails plowing the Pudget Sound like the first boat shown.

Here are some more http://classicyacht.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=11&page=1

Last edited:
fantail

Manyboats "The old iron fantail is a beauty".

The vessel is the "Nothwind". She has a very interesting history:

Northwind is a 130-foot steel riveted yacht that was built in 1930 by the Monitowoc Shipping Corp. for Charles Martin Clark Jr., a wealthy American industrialist.

Drawing 8 feet, she is powered by twin 360-horsepower Paxman-Ricardo V-12 diesel engines, cruises at 12 knots and has a range of 3,000 nautical miles.

For 80 years, Northwind has traveled the world and hosted her share of celebrities from the notorious to the rich and famous.

John Profumo, the British diplomat, and Christine Keeler, a British showgirl with whom he became entangled, were guests aboard the yacht, as were Princess (now Queen) Elizabeth, John F. Kennedy and first lady Jackie Kennedy, and Sir Winston Churchill.

In 1960, the Dalai Lama was a guest for seven days, and onboard the yacht is a conch shell that was engraved by Tibetan monks with an inscription that reads, "Presented to the Captain and crew of M.Y Northwind with grateful thanks for the safe passage to Bombay Harbour of His Holiness the Dali Lama 1960."

During World War II, Northwind was owned by the British government and served as a torpedo-net tender and personnel transport.

She also participated in the evacuation of Dunkirk, France, from May 26 to June 4, 1940, when hundreds of boats of all sizes and description ferried more than 338,000 Allied troops from the harbor and beaches of Dunkirk to waiting naval and merchant ships.

For the last few years, Northwind has been moored at the Inner Harbour in Victoria, British Columbia, conducting cruises and tours of the Gulf Islands, the rugged West Coast and whale watching in Johnstone Strait.

Attachments

• NORTHWIND.jpg
    NORTHWIND.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 770

Thanks for the history.

If you go to the Seattle Boat Afloat be sure to drool over the Malibu and the Thea Foss both built in the 1930 and gorgeous fantails. the Malibu went aground/swamped, and the owner reconditioned he for the tune of 3 million. Now that is loving your boat? Both are moored at the north end of the show. When moored on Lake Union we where expect to keep the Eagle in the same condition. :eek:

KJ,
I like the way the bottom on Fleetwood looks much like most of our trawlers until the aft end. Then it looks like what I WISH most of our trawlers look like in that the bottom curves up aft to return to the surface. No submerged transom.
Looks like the original Fleetwood is in the lower part of the boat we see. The top looks added on to be a cannery bunkhouse or?
In the skyline picture the ferry wake says there's an excellent helmsman or even a good autopilot.

Fleetwood

Can't find any info on Fleetwood. I'll talk to the yard manager when I visit again. Here's a couple of more pics. KJ

Attachments

• FLEETWOOD.1.jpg
    FLEETWOOD.1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 159
  • FLEETWOOD.2.jpg
    FLEETWOOD.2.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 147
This week end there is a boat afloat show on Lake Union. We were invited to VIP tonight, since we use to live/moor at the South End which we will not attended, but maybe on Saturday.

The Port Townsend is another yard I enjoy wandering thru as it more large commercial and pleasure as the lift is 9 straps and 150 tons. 1

Actually we have a 300 ton lift here in Port Townsend...
The Northwest does have the best accessible yards I have found anywhere... and really cool boats to ogle over too
HOLLYWOOD

Phil Fill: This week end there is a boat afloat show on Lake Union.

I went to the Wooden Boat Center on Lake Union yesterday. Went to the locks also. Pretty cool.

I think these old timers have so much character. Might go to Port Townsend over the weekend. KJ

Attachments

• S17.jpg
    S17.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 161
  • S18.jpg
    S18.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 136
  • S19.jpg
    S19.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 117
  • S20.1.jpg
    S20.1.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 126
  • S20.3.jpg
    S20.3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 131
  • S20.jpg
    S20.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 124
  • S21.jpg
    S21.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 154
  • S22.jpg
    S22.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 164
  • S23.jpg
    S23.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 150
  • S25.jpg
    S25.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 157
"Fleetwood" is owned by the carpenter at Platypus. It is a great mystery to many of the staff there why he doesn't put a match to her. The closer you look the worse she looks. That boat is a textbook example of an old woodie that hasn't been looked after and now has been out of the water for too long.

If you are still in the Seattle/Everett area let me know.

We use to moor/live at the South end of Lake Union, on the East side, close to the wood boat center. We had a employee, Rudd, the volunteer and help run/take out those old boats. the Arthur Foss is still direct drive no transmission/reverse. which had a big puker factor! :eek: We use to walk that are most weeks. If you are interest the Virginia V is usually looking for volunteers to help maintain/take out. You can use the Wood Boat center carpenter shop for free.

I hate the locks especially the big lock. I also asked for the small lock which is shown in the picture. When the grandchildren came we use to bike to the looks to watch the boats and the salmon ladder. Did you go over on the South side and see the ladder?

We loved mooring/living in Seattle as we had a 360 degree view. Out the pilot house window was the Space Needle and down town Seattle. Did you get an change to visit Pike Street Market and the Seattle water front. Use to hop the bus and spend the day wandering around the Seattle. Also the under ground tour South end of the city that gives a lot of history of Seattle.

Two weeks ago we went to the birthday party down there, and our old slip was vacant. If we move off the Eagle I will moor her back on the lake again as it fresh water.

KJ,
Do you know what that engine is w the exposed rocker arms?

Yea Fleetwood looks sad.

[QUOTE=Phil Fill; If you are still in the Seattle/Everett area let me know.

If you are interest the Virginia V is usually looking for volunteers to help maintain/take out.

When the grandchildren came we use to bike to the looks to watch the boats and the salmon ladder. Did you go over on the South side and see the ladder?

Did you get an change to visit Pike Street Market and the Seattle water front. Use to hop the bus and spend the day wandering around the Seattle.

Phil,

Yeah, I'm still here. Probably will be til Mon or Tues.

They were using the Virginia V as a Farmers Market.

Yes, lots of fish going up the ladder. Can you say "sushi".

I'm going to the Museum of Flight tomorrow.

Maybe Pike St. on Sun.

Saw a boat that I thought looked a lot like "Coot". It was for sale (see pics).

I was looking for your boat when I was at Lake Union. Thought I would see a bright shiny star hovering over it (don't all TF folks have that?). Alas, there's about a gazillion boats out there (no shiny star).

Looks like a great boating area though (the food ain't too shabby either). KJ

Attachments

• S25.jpg
    S25.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 123
  • S16.jpg
    S16.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 131
  • S14.1.jpg
    S14.1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 141
  • S14.jpg
    S14.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 137
  • S24.jpg
    S24.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 132
  • S15.jpg
    S15.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 144
"Do you know what that engine is w the exposed rocker arms"?

It's the engine in the "Arthur Foss". Don't know much about it.

Phil says "the Arthur Foss is still direct drive no transmission/reverse".

Here's some more pics. KJ

Attachments

• S27.jpg
    S27.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 134
  • S28.jpg
    S28.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 138
  • S29.jpg
    S29.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 130
  • S30.jpg
    S30.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 127
  • S26.jpg
    S26.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 127
  • S20.2  DANGER WILL ROBINSON.jpg
    S20.2 DANGER WILL ROBINSON.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 258
they run the engine in reverse,by changing the cam shaft with a lever just like they do with a steam engine,they reverse the cam.they stop the engine,flop the cam and start it up again.they use air most of the time to start oit up again

Nothing worse than a floppy camshaft.

Why would they not just configure it with reversing gears?

It looks like an early radar unit or coffee maker. KJ

Attachments

• S20.2  DANGER WILL ROBINSON.jpg
    S20.2 DANGER WILL ROBINSON.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 131
Do you know what that engine is w the exposed rocker arms?

Washington 700hp @ 200rpm

It has what is called a "sailing clutch" that disconnects the engine from the shaft when needed. The early diesel engines were built to the same specs generally as steam engines (the Arthur Foss was originally steam powered) so they could be a direct replacement. Reduction gears were expensive and heavy and reversing gears were not made to handle the torque those engines produced.

The large diesels used to power modern ships are direct reversing for the same reasons and that is why one of the first applications of a diesel onboard a ship was a diesel-electric ... so the propeller could be reversed.

That engine shown is air start, it is the only way to start it. I have a great deal of experience on that engine as I was the one who got it running and seaworthy after it sat neglected for years. I also converted the raw water cooling system to fresh water to prevent further corrosion.

We used to run the boat all over Puget Sound until the organization that owns it ran out of money and ideas.

Rick did you know Ruddy Lewis. He was active with the wood boat center. He was an employee of ours, and i am stil driving his company jeep. Great person anf think of and prwy for him often.
I took him out on the Eagle several times as he liked the natural roll fell and thw way the Eagle could manuver with reverse and the BOW THRUSTER.

Thank's Rick,
I thought so. I used to work for Washington Iron Works. My first real job actually in 1959. I'd never heard of a 3 or 5 cyl engine then. I was the "blueprint operator" and had charge of the blueprint vault. I was the operator of the blueprint machine that very slowly made copies of drawings for salesmen and engineers mostly. Got to make one for the big man at times and always hand delivered it and felt like a cabin boy. I liked the guy though. I never saw an engine of course .. just history stuff but I'd love to look at those drawings of the old giant engines.
That's where I got introduced to the "Jimmies". On the logging yarders and other big heavy equipment usually the DDs were employed. The sound of the old Detroit Diesels still is special to me. They'd fire them up in the shop fairly often and now and then I'd be walking by.

capt jerry,
Mercury OBs did that in about the early 60s. No cams involved of course but the obvious happened often enough that very shortly they went back to gears for reversing. But now w electronic ignition, fuel injection and computers they could possibly succeed at it.

Nice old boats.

I'm think 1st generation microwave for the skips lunch.
attachment.php

Rick did you know Ruddy Lewis.

Yes, Ruddy was a fellow board member and a good friend of my best friend in that circle, Bill White, who was the shipwright for the organization and now lives on Lopez. We had some fun with those boats for a few years.

Back
Top Bottom