A Long Way Home II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pic #1: The float at Port Nevile is rather small and the entrance to the back bay is shallow so much kelp is often here. There is also current. We were the last to leave and It's hard to leave such a beautiful place.

Pic #2: The beach in front of the house.

Attachments

• DSCF0523 copy.jpg
    DSCF0523 copy.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF0524 copy.jpg
    DSCF0524 copy.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 131
Eric, the trick is to make the longest size of your photos about 800 pixels. That way the photos will fit most computer screens. That's independent of file size.

I think you are a better photographer than you give yourself credit for Eric. Keep 'em comin'...clearly a beautiful part of the world.

Eric

Thanks for the journey down the coast. I am realy enjoying it.

OldfishboatGUY

Willy

Thank you all very much,
I'm hoping to finish the trip here before I need to leave Thorne Bay and my i-mac computer. That will happen in a week or two and then I'll be on i-pad only and then at Starbucks or wherever I can get the wifi signal. Don't know how to post pics on an i-pad (I'm guessing it can be done) but my skills aren't up to it.

Pics here are more of Port Neville.

Attachments

• DSCF0526 copy.jpg
    DSCF0526 copy.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF0528 copy.jpg
    DSCF0528 copy.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF0529 copy.jpg
    DSCF0529 copy.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 117
Pic #1: Looking out at Johnstone Strait from the Port Neville dock.

Pic #2: In Johnstone Strait.

Pic #3: All three of us were bucking the tide. We were overtaking the small sailboat (something we don't do often) and we were all slogging along. Thought we may make Seymour Narrows at slack ... didn't. The sailboat didn't either. She turned off east to go down the back channels ... the way I've always gone before. We met the Lady (solo and from Vancouver) in the sailboat at Shawl Bay. Those independent Canadian women are amazing.

Attachments

• DSCF0530 copy.JPG
    DSCF0530 copy.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCF0531 copy.JPG
    DSCF0531 copy.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF0533 copy.JPG
    DSCF0533 copy.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 127
Pic #1: Here's the Vancouver lady taking a pic of us while we took a pic of her. She and her boat were a good cruising team.

Pic #2 and 3: Johnstone Strait not far north of Seymour Narrows.

Attachments

• DSCF0534 copy.JPG
    DSCF0534 copy.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCF0537 copy.JPG
    DSCF0537 copy.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCF0538 copy.JPG
    DSCF0538 copy.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 121
Pic #1: Passing an Alaskan vessel obviously equipped w a Bulbous bow.

Pic #2: Johnstone Strait.

Attachments

• DSCF0542 copy.JPG
    DSCF0542 copy.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCF0545 copy.JPG
    DSCF0545 copy.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Johnston Strait near Brown's Bay.

Attachments

• DSCF0546 copy.jpg
    DSCF0546 copy.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 478
Thanks for the picture.

I been told the current is very strong along there with large whirle pools. :eek:

So what are you using for you internet connection as you seem to be in remote areas. :confused:

We were at slack so didn't see or experience any whirlpools and hardly any current. We overnighted at Brown's Bat just north of the narrows. I've heard umteen horror stories over the years so I'm sure they exist and are a great danger to any slow vessel.

I AM in the bush in SE Alaska but will be down in Wash in about two weeks. We've had Hughes Net satellite for several years. On Sat morning it's almost totally unusable due to weak signal/slow performance. They just keep selling service to more and more people and the performance seems directly related to how many are using it at one time. Should be against the law. In about a week I'll unplug HN for good. When my posts stop I've left Thorne Bay.

It's been difficult much of the time to upload pics. I'll probably not finish this thread here but later in Wash. You've all seen the best part anyway. I should be packing now instead of playing on TF but basically I do this on my breaks.

Thanks CP,
It seems odd that the reflection of the clouds is a clearer image than the clouds. Without that reflection I wouldn't have even posted it. But obviously I like it too. Posted it large.

We went to Comox and then set out for Nanaimo. Got way out in Georgia Strait and the engine slowed down and this time quit. 2' seas and couldn't get Willy out of the trough. Rolling badly. Extended myself physically so bad changing the fuel pump that it took me 2 to 3 weeks to recover. Got lots of air into the system and couldn't start. Angel people came by and towed us back to Comox. Several hours. Storm Rider.

Attachments

• DSCF0557 copy.JPG
    DSCF0557 copy.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF0558 copy.JPG
    DSCF0558 copy.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 110
Eric--- Great collection of shots. Makes us all the more eager to do the same voyage by boat ourselves someday.

You can attach photos to posts with an iPad if you use the iPad Trawler Forum app. Write a post using the app and then select the "advanced" button. This gives you the opportunity to attach photos from the "Photos" collection on your iPad. It's a five-step process. Select "advanced," select "from photos," select the photo, let it upload, then select the uploaded photo and select "insert."

If you want to attach another photo to the same post, repeat all five steps.

It's easier than I've made it sound and once you've done the first one it's a piece of cake from then on. One thing to be aware of--- the photo must be sized already to meet the forum's photo size restriction. If you put the full-size photo from your camera into your iPad's Photos collection it won't upload to the forum.

Bet you had a reef in the main that day Eric....
Bugger, fooled again - I was referring to this pic, of course...
I keep getting fooled by seeing the quick reply box and not realising there is another whole page of posts after it...anyone else strike this..?

attachment.php

Last edited:
Man! It's just one breathtaking shot after another. Here in the swamp of Florida, you get the lush green and striking blue water, but the tallest mountain we have is a 345 ft.. Only to be challenged by a huge 150 ft. garbage dump here in Dade County whose peak is sometimes hidden in a mysterious and romantic methane cloud. :rolleyes: Local's affectionately named it Mount Trashmore.

Last edited:
Health,
Thank you Mr Hustler. One of the great things of being on a world wide forum.

YES Peter I do that much more often than I'd like. I was gonna say someth'in about our age but I feel nice today. The'll be another day maybe next month.
I almost never use the "quick reply" box. What's the advantage to it? Quick?

Marin thank you but I really should'nt be even doing this much less learning new tricks and I'm gett'in to be an old dog too.

This is my mental picture of "boating in SE Alaska":

232323232%7Ffp53837%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B29%3A%3B893336nu0mrj

(Endicott Arm)

Marin thank you but I really should'nt be even doing this much less learning new tricks and I'm gett'in to be an old dog too.

Our dog is getting up there, too, and he seems to learn new tricks every day. Most of them aimed at getting us to do what he wants us to do. So a new trick or two should be a walk in the park for you.:)

What was/is your favorite section of the Inside Passage now that you've done it several times? We've looked down on it many times from the plane and based on that we really like the two channels, Princess Royal and Grenville. But your alternate route along the outside of Pitt sounds and looks very intriguing.

We stopped at Butedale on our first fight north in 1985 or thereabouts. The buildings were all complete other than the cannery itself which had burned some years earlier. The big water turbines were running and generating power and there was even stuff on the shelves of the store although the store was no longer open. We walked up to the lake on the service boardwalk that ran alongside the big wooden pipeline that carried the water to the turbines. We never stopped there again although we landed on the lake on each trip to eat our lunch. It was apparent from the air as we flew over on final to the lake that the place was deteriorating rapidly. I understand that today it's pretty much a wreck.

What a shame. I've read that in its heyday it was the largest cannery on the west coast of North America. It was on the BC ferry as we passed Butedale in 1977 that I made the decision to leave Hawaii and move to the PNW. The whole "inside waters" environment just blew me away, particularly after several decades of living "in" the open ocean. It still does. I've been lucky enough to see a lot of places on this planet and hopefully I'll see a lot more but there is nowhere I would rather live or be than the stretch of coast between Anacortes and Glacier Bay.

image-4085292151.jpg

image-2874988054.jpg

Last edited:
Marin,
Off the top of my head ... Stephens Passage. I'm not going to recommend west Pitt. Not to say don't go there but the experience driving through isn't extraordinary and it is out of the way. There is an island that starts w A and has a Z in it's name. On the south end of that island is what appears to be a wonderful anchorage called (I think) Griffin Harbor/Cove. All maps ect are packed so ?? It's a wild and rough place but if one had the right dinghy or kayak good to fantastic exploring could be done ... carefully. On the west side of "A" island there are extensive shallows and rocks where lots of boomers, breakers, and extensive kelp.
Wanted to go there but after the 50 knot gale and Ire Inlet we were ready for more peaceful places. So it's the Special places that are attractive not the transit.
I remembered the i-pad. It's Gillian Harbor on Dewdney Island. There is a group of islands west of Campania Island. The harbor is at the head of Pemberton Bay. In between there and Trutch Island there are narrow kelpy channels that lead to Hecate Strait.
Then there's Port Stephens and Leavitt Lagoon just north of Mockton Inlet. I showed you Pics of Mockton Inlet.
Much exploring could be done around Anger Island too.
I think it would be a better destination than a wonderful place to pass through. But most people go speeding by this area on the east side of Pitt Island on their way to Alaska.
I don't think we'll get back up there Marin. Go take pics where we left off and show them on Trawler Forum.

Eric, the reason I try to use the quick reply is so that the whole post one is replying to is not transfered verbatim to the new post, so people have to wade all through that again until they get to the point one is posting. Sometimes I don't have the time to go in and edit the copied post down to the essential point one is responding to. Of course the quick reply thing is only good when it comes straight after the post one is responding to, and that's why it is annoying to not notice there is another page out of sight, and the post ends up out of context. I think an enhancement of the forum would be for the quick reply box to not appear at the end of each page of a thread, but only after the last post in the thread. This can be done, as that is how it is on at least one other forum I belong to, and that's why I get caught out at times. Do we think it important enough to suggest on the tech assistance board..?

Peter good point.

I'm sure CP or PG will see your post and I'll bet the'll tell you that they have no control over the basic structure of the forum. I sure don't know.

I think what your'e talking about is the quote feature. Many people on the forum use that and it takes up huge amounts of space. Don't know if it matters but your point about wading through a lot of irrelevant stuff is distracting. I almost never use the forums quote feature. I copy and paste through the edit feature of the i-mac. So only the sentences I want to quote are transferred and presented to the following post.

After starting a new thread I may pack up the computer so I'll finish this thread in a month or so when I'm down south but I need to make another trip up here too. Everyone has seen the bulk of the trip and pics so I may not finish it at all. Have a good summer Peter.

Man! It's just one breathtaking shot after another. Here in the swamp of Florida, you get the lush green and striking blue water, but the tallest mountain we have is a 345 ft.. Only to be challenged by a huge 150 ft. garbage dump here in Dade County whose peak is sometimes hidden in a mysterious and romantic methane cloud. :rolleyes: Local's affectionately named it Mount Trashmore.

Yeah, Hustler, all that scenery that Eric is showing us is certainly beautiful. I'm just waiting for his pictures of bikini clad Eskimos! You know, like South Florida.:D

Peter good point.

I'm sure CP or PG will see your post and I'll bet the'll tell you that they have no control over the basic structure of the forum.

How right you are Eric. You can however make a recommendation to Janet or Andy either through PM or better yet by posting your thoughts and idea's here.

Forum Support | Suggestion Box | News - Trawler Forum

I think what your'e talking about is the quote feature.

<Snip>

I almost never use the forums quote feature. I copy and paste through the edit feature of the i-mac. So only the sentences I want to quote are transferred and presented to the following post.

You can do the same editing in the quote feature that you are currently doing in the I-Mac. Instead of copy and pasting the sentences you are quoting simply highlight and cut the sentences you do not need. Faster IMO.

After starting a new thread I may pack up the computer so I'll finish this thread in a month or so when I'm down south but I need to make another trip up here too. Everyone has seen the bulk of the trip and pics so I may not finish it at all. Have a good summer Peter.

:eek::eek::eek:Say it isn't so Eric, I do not wish these pictures to end:thumb:

Peter as to the quick reply feature you can also use the "Post Reply" button at the top or bottom of any thread to reply without quoting. It is the same as clicking the "Go Advanced" tab when in the "Quick Reply"

FWIW Peter, that feature has caught me out more than once too;)

Attachments

• reply.gif
    reply.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 328
Before I put the computer in the box I'll leave you w one of my favorite pics of Thorne Bay. The town is in the distance.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 199.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 199.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 130
Safe journeys and Godspeed, Eric. Waiting for part deux....

Thank you FlyWright,
And CP,
OK I'll finish it but there it will be a month or so before I resume. Computer is going on a barge to Seattle in about 2 weeks. Then I'm going to hit the asphalt w PU and skiff on a trlr and drive through BC to Wash.

Pic #1: Love at first sight. I want this boat. Can't have it because I can't afford the moorage. We're in Comox.

Pic #2: Summer. A very nice old wood trawler.

Pic #3: Chris aboard Willy. We were here for 3 or 4 days on and off working on the engine. Seabeam and Willy together.

Attachments

• DSCF0561 copy.JPG
    DSCF0561 copy.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF0567 copy.JPG
    DSCF0567 copy.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF0566 copy.JPG
    DSCF0566 copy.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Latest posts