9/11 from the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Some of you may have already seen this documentary but on the anniversary of 9/11 it is worth watching again if you have not seen it. While it is one of the saddest days in America, certainly the saddest in modern times, there are some amazing stories associated with the rescues. Did you know that 9/11 resulted in the largest marine based evacuation in the history of the world and it was basically volunteer driven?
Take a few moments out of your day and watch:
BOATLIFT, An Untold Tale of 9/11 Resilience - YouTube

Thanks for that. I had no idea it was bigger than Dunkirk. A wonderful reminder of humanity at its best.

Thanks for sharing! Very moving video. We know that boaters will always rise to the call when tragedy occurs.

Small world department.
I watched the video and was stunned to see a person I knew. Kirk Slater, we once had a boat for sale listed with him. His office was/is in the lightship at Liberty Landing Marina (Sandy Hook Yacht Sales if I remember correctly). I didn't know at the time that he was a NY Waterways Captain or was involved in the boat rescue. I thought he was a pretty good yacht broker; but I now hold him in the highest esteem after seeing this video. I was also involved in moving people out of the city that day; by train not boat, as I worked for the railroad before retiring last year. I can't believe eleven years have passed. Memories come flooding back after seeing a video like this.
God bless you Kirk Slater.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom