Essential Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many publications that began from "trunks or Lazarette's" include, most of Nigel Calder's, Lynn and Larry Pardey, Earl Heinz, Hal Roth, the original Skipper Bob, Mark Doyle, John Kettlewell, and let's not forget that Waterway Guide was originated and published by active cruisers. There are many, many, many more examples. These are all well known and well respected authors in the marine industry who many of us consider true experts and can educate us all. Beware of those that buy a boat, spend a little time running up and down the river or never leave the dock and proclaim themselves experts. In today's electronic age it has become more and more difficult to weed those types out and I believe that is why there is a certain amount of mistrust from online information. But correct me if I am wrong, the original poster ask about books on board and not whether they should use online resources or buy books. Unfortunately there is always someone that wants to move the conversation in another direction.

Greetings,
I haven't reread all the postings on this thread but a thought occurs to me about the most important book on boating. CHEQUE BOOK!!!!!

RT, That's the one book we wish we never had to carry, but unfortunately, It's a boat. Chuck

I agree w Marin. Two plus two always = four. And our culture is a "pop" culture and new things like the internet, hypred cars, electronic charts, and umteen other products and concepts aren't the miracle things they seem to be JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NEW. Ther'e worse in that they haven't stood the test of time but ther'e better in that they have benefitted from evolution to a greater degree. All the new things have advantages but all the new things have disadvantages too. I like to read Peter Culler. Don't know if he's on the internet but his methods, ideas and boats are wonderful and just as good today as they were in his time. I love my Dewalt power tools but a chorded drill or even a hand crank drill is better for some things. I love my VW Golf but if it wasn't for the millage I'd be just as happy w a 1955 car. I took my Golf to the dealer to get my headlights fixed! I love the power of the internet and the ability to converse w people all over the world about things I'm keenly interested in but I love my old books too. But the concept that now that we've got the internet we ought to burn all those nasty old dumb books is stupid.

Information or advice I read on Internet forums is usually given as much weight as conversations overheard on a bus, especially on subjects I know little about. You can normally glean enough to start doing more concentrated searching on the Internet to confirm...or spin off on any number of unrelated searches! Such is the Internet.

Thanks a bunch for the authors and book titles...this'll provide untold hours of web wallowing and knowledge base building.

And our culture is a "pop" culture and new things like the internet, hypred cars, electronic charts, and umteen other products and concepts aren't the miracle things they seem to be JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NEW.
It doesn't mean they're bad either. It's also pretty important to realize that major changes have occurred in almost every aspect of buying things, getting information about things, and planning things. I seriously doubt we'll ever go back to the time when you call a manufacturer to ask them to mail you a brochure about their products, as an example.

Even bigger changes have happened with navigation - cars, boats, or planes. There's nothing wrong with not using it - whatever works for you is great. I just know that getting rid of paper in all forms (charts, books, etc) has made my cruising better, more enjoyable, and even safer.

We all have our own ways of learning, researching etc. For some of us, on-line is the way, while others prefer paper in its infinite forms. Myself, I tend to prefer on-line when I'm at home, but on the boat where web access is often absent, books are the only way to go. Trying to trouble shoot a problem in some bucolic little cove would be better done with book in hand I think. (I'm not suggesting that you read Chapman's WHILE you're attempting your first anchoring!)

Many excellent suggestions here.

Beware of those that buy a boat, spend a little time running up and down the river or never leave the dock and proclaim themselves experts.

Now wait just a cotton-pickin' minute there bub! I resemble that remark :blush:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nigel Calder would be happy with his nominations. And he`s actually English! He also has a good book on Marine Refrigeration, I can`t recall the precise name of it and can`t easily check,I lent it to a friend, he must be finding it very helpful, books are made to be shared. BruceK

If you realy want to talk crap about boating Peggy Hall has a book that I recomend as a boat owner that has a head.

But its on the boat and I aint got the valve set correct so cant remember the name.

Agree with all the suggestions for Calder - we have him in our library. I also suggest Don Casey - his boats are targeted to sail, but the vast majority of the information will relate to both sail and power. We have both editions of "Good Old Boat" by Casey, and another by him that combines several of his books on electrical, fiberglass, canvas repair, etc. (the name escapes me at the moment). Those are the ones I use the most, along with the actual oem shop and parts manuals for our engine. Of course, the Casey books are best for those who have an older boat and do their own repairs. As for internet vs. book, I just don't see myself with a laptop or tablet computer while working in the bilge or on the engine. I don't mind a few smudges on my books (shows that I use them) and don't worry if I drop a tool on them. Just my two cents.

- just say the above and agree, Peggy Hall's book on eliminating boat odors is great.

Peggy Hall's book on eliminating boat odors is great.

If you realy want to talk crap about boating Peggy Hall has a book that I recomend as a boat owner that has a head.

But its on the boat and I aint got the valve set correct so cant remember the name.

51c0oAGGw1L._SS500_.jpg

Amazon.com: Get Rid of Boat Odors: A Boat Owner's Guide to Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor (9781892399151): Peggie Hall: Books

Active Captain,
Quote " I seriously doubt we'll ever go back to the time when you call a manufacturer to ask them to mail you a brochure about their products, as an example." Indeed. Looking at adds for products you don't get phone numbers to call! Just web addresses. And you aren't given a clue where in the world (literally) they are.

Active Captain,
Quote " I seriously doubt we'll ever go back to the time when you call a manufacturer to ask them to mail you a brochure about their products, as an example." Indeed. Looking at adds for products you don't get phone numbers to call! Just web addresses. And you aren't given a clue where in the world (literally) they are.

There is still a significant portion of the population in the world (and in the good old USA) that has no Internet access and will not have Internet access for whatever reason. A company that wants to be competetive will still have to answer phones and mail out catalogs and brochures.

I just picked up a brand new Stil chain saw. There is no paper owners manual with the new saw only a CD a few extra goodies along with a hat.

I did have a bit of a laugh while holding the saw and looking at the mountain peaks from the beach. Never thought to bring the PC along. The saw did run well however.

I just love it when the internet goes down and you call their tech support number and the voice prompt tells you to visit their website. THAT'S WHY I'M CALLING

Skipper Bob was mentioned earlier. Two thumbs up. A wonderful resource to travel with.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Recently acquired; "The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring" by Earl Hinz, "Chapman Piloting - Seamanship and small boat handeling", and Nigel Calder's "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual".

That should keep me entertained for a while :)

For off-season reading, or reading at the anchorage:

Sailing Alone Around the World, Joshua Slocum. THE FIRST person to solo circumnavigate, in a boat he built himself.
Sailing Alone Around the World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fastnet, Force 10, John Rousmaniere
1979 Fastnet race - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Proving Ground, G. Bruce Knecht.
Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cruise of the Snark, Jack London.
The Cruise of the Snark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charlies Charts
Cruising Guides, Pacific Cruising Guide, Charlie's Charts, Ocean Navigation Charts

Agree with almost all of the above. I look at all sources as a means of triangulating myself to the true answer for my particular issue. As we got into cruising, Chapman's was a terrific introduction and resource. The best investment we ever made in boating was in joining Club Nautique in Alameda, Ca and taking their full suite of on the water training classes, which included among many things excellent navigation training, in classroom and on water. I'd boated most of my life, but casually (way too casually), and this was absolutely invaluable.

We like to anchor, so the Hinz book was an early resource, occasionally still consulted. Since we bought our boat after years of chartering (wherein one usually calls the charter company if you have any problems), Calder's Mechanical and Electrical is heavily thumbed and used.

One that isn't mentioned that has great value to people contemplating the purchase of a boat is David Pascoe's "Mid Sized Power Boats", especially the first half or two thirds. He takes a lot of the romance and wrong thinking out of the starry-eyed boat buying process and focusses on systems issues and life spans, construction techniques, and ergonomics. Yes, you have to take some of his opinions about specific boats, engines (dated, for one thing)and manufacturers with some blocks of salt (he manages to insult almost every type of boat popular here), but the general practical issues he discusses are spot on, invaluable when shopping and inspecting and evaluating.

Also as mentioned the most valuable resource post-purchase are the engine service manuals, ditto for the generator, and manuals for the boat and all other equipment, plus the wiring and plumbing diagrams and schematics. A very big factor in buying my particular boat was that it came with all of these (Except the engines service manual which I bought), plus the PO supplied all the receipts and work orders for the years he owned the boat. I cannot over emphasize what an enormous difference this makes in time, money, safety and sanity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom