Hello from Oriental, NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavidM

Valued Technical Contributor
Hello:

I am a returning new/old member to Trawlerforum. I have been posting for a couple of weeks and like what I see, so let me introduce myself.

My wife and I retired to Oriental, NC a year or so ago. We have two trawlers (well sort of): a Cape Dory 28, a downeast style sedan with a gas engine and an Island Packet Cat 35 which is sometimes refered to as "a trawler with a stick". Not quite an accurate description of the IP Cat, but close.

Together and single handed we/I have cruised for some 10,000 miles along the east coast from western Florida to the Bahamas and to Maine and back. Mostly living on the hook and never staying in one anchorage more than a few days (with minor exceptions).

But now we live on a creek in Oriental and our cruising horizon is limited to about 50 miles.

I am an anal engineer and approach boating issues from that perspective. So give me a break for that characteristic. I have a pretty good knowledge of mechanical systems and maybe a better knowledge about electrical ones.

I look forward to contributing to the forum.

David

Ok, i have to ask. What does an 'anal engineer' do? :eek:)

Welcome aboard. Again. We are in New Bern (were in Oriental Marina just last weekend) and love being on the Neuse. Perhaps we will cross wakes. We get out a lot. Love to meet someday. We see quite a few CDory's out onthe Neuse. They seem popular.

Tom-

If I had to live on the east coast, Oriental would be that place. I spend a few months there at a Tridant(?) boat yard sanding and painting the hull on my Sea Ray. Great place.

We usually stop at the Oriental Marina a couple of times a year, to and from New Bern, Beaufort, etc. M&M's is always one of our favorite dinner spots. "My Yuki " spent some time herself at Deaton's last winter, so we were also "visiting" our boat by land (we're on the Pamlico River about 60 mi from Oriental). Always a great spot to stop, and I am sure you'll enjoy your retirement there.

Stoped at the free dock once in Oriental on my way back from the Bahamas. Lovely place. Welcome aboard David.

Hello:

I am a returning new/old member to Trawlerforum. I have been posting for a couple of weeks and like what I see, so let me introduce myself.

My wife and I retired to Oriental, NC a year or so ago. We have two trawlers (well sort of): a Cape Dory 28, a downeast style sedan with a gas engine and an Island Packet Cat 35 which is sometimes refered to as "a trawler with a stick". Not quite an accurate description of the IP Cat, but close.

Together and single handed we/I have cruised for some 10,000 miles along the east coast from western Florida to the Bahamas and to Maine and back. Mostly living on the hook and never staying in one anchorage more than a few days (with minor exceptions).

But now we live on a creek in Oriental and our cruising horizon is limited to about 50 miles.

I am an anal engineer and approach boating issues from that perspective. So give me a break for that characteristic. I have a pretty good knowledge of mechanical systems and maybe a better knowledge about electrical ones.

I look forward to contributing to the forum.

David

Welcome back.Sounds like you're living the dream. :thumb:

Ok, i have to ask. What does an 'anal engineer' do? :eek:)

Tom-

:nonono:
I take it that he means he is a stickler for perfection in his engineering career.I could be wrong and he could be a rich proctologist.:thumb:

Hello guys:

Well yes and no, an anal engineer is one who wants to know why and how something is so and not just repeat what someone told him.

A good example is the running a diesel slow debate which I have had with others on this forum. I looked at the reasons why this may or not be true and the actual evidence and came to my own conclusion.

So what you will get from me will hopefully be reasoned and based on my own and verifiable experience of others, but maybe not always true. Hey even we engineers get it wrong sometimes.

And yes Oriental is a charming place. I am usually at the Bean on weekday mornings, so if you are tied up at town dock, come in and I will buy you a cup of joe.

David

Last edited:
Oriental is a favorite stop on our ICW travels. We've met many friendly and helpful folks there. We hope to see you on the water.

Welcome to trawler forum and welcome to Oriental. We have had a home here for the past 6 years. Liberdade winters in town and we have a C-Dory for running to Beaufort for lunch. Hope to cross paths with you.

I too have had the conversation on this forum of the proper loading of a diesel, interesting conversation.

Welcome. We are near you in Morehead City/Atlantic Beach area, and we enjoy going to Oriental for a weekend trip. Hope to see you around. We are hoping to retire some time next year, and spend more time on the water. :)

Good to see you back DJ. I think you used to be a regular over on PMM when it was 'alive' in its hey day also, were you not...?

Peter:

Yes I was somewhat of a regular on the PMM forum until it got so slow with advertising that I gave it up.

David

We found the end of our rainbow in Oriental too!

img_102820_0_54aafc28ccb61a627d3ffdd851e064f7.jpg

Hello from Hampstead, NC welcome aboard and spread some electrical know how :)

Welcome!
There's a cute sign there...Oriental Dental.
We have a garden lot at SeaGate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom