Perkins, Steam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
Went out for a cruise over the holiday weekend. Noticed that the Port engine was producing more steam in the exhaust then the Starboard. Checked the engine temps with infared sensor. Engine temps were within 2 degrees at 190. I checked the exhaust hose and found that the temps were about 12deg. different. I have pulled and cleaned the manicoolers about 2 yrs ago and they were both in good shape. Am suspecting elbow? Have read the numerous threads on Perkins cooling systems and this seems to be a common issue. Thoughts?

Could be the issue. I just replace my stdb manicooler and elbows. I am getting 185 from both engines at 1300 rpm. My Elbows were contstricted and severly corroded as well as worn on the nipple.

Is your coolant good? that was my indicator

Have you checked your impeller? Lots cheaper and easier to replace an impeller that is resulted in reduced water flow in exhaust leading to more steam than stripping apart the engine checking bigger stuff.

Have you checked your impeller? Lots cheaper and easier to replace an impeller that is resulted in reduced water flow in exhaust leading to more steam than stripping apart the engine checking bigger stuff.

+1 :thumb:

It is due for an impellar replacement so I'll start there. Coolant level looks good.

The symptom is probably low raw water flow and I would first suspect the impeller and secondly suspect the exhaust elbow. A plugged exhanger (manicooler) would be third on my list, but not if the engine temps are ok.

David

If the pumps are old, you might need a complete rebuild kit which would include a new cam. The bronze wears and the cam won't squeeze the impeller as much as it should reducing flow.
Or a new pump. I know a few with Perkins who reduced engine coolant temp by 10 degrees simply with a new pump. The cam on the old pumps were less than half the size of the new one.
Cheers.

Finally pulled the impeller this weekend. It was obviously needing replacement. Still have more steam from Port than Stb. will pull elbow and check it next.

Attachments

• IMAG0327.jpg
    IMAG0327.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 110
Since a new impeller didn't change your steaming issue, how about this simple test. It depends on easy access to the exhaust outlet.

Start the non steaming engine, run it up to 1,200 rpm in neutral. Put a bucket under the exhaust outlet and catch the raw water. Time how long it takes to fill. Do the same on the steaming engine.

Low raw water flow is the most likely cause of steaming, particularly if the other engine isn't doing it and this test will tell you that.

David

Those missing parts had to go somewhere downstream. Could be they're blocking flow.

Yea, there are some fair sized chunks missing. Was wondering where they might be...

Yea, there are some fair sized chunks missing. Was wondering where they might be...

Check the face of your heat exchanger if it is first in line after the pump. If not, check what ever the first cooler is, ie; oil or transmission cooler. The pieces are most likely stuck there or at a 90 degree bend.

check the face of your heat exchanger if it is first in line after the pump. If not, check what ever the first cooler is, ie; oil or transmission cooler. The pieces are most likely stuck there or at a 90 degree bend.

ditto!!

Yep. Just used a tiny wood dowel to get bits of old impeller out of my beat exchanger today. Would have like to descaled it but didnt have the hose connections to hook to the pump. Another day maybe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom