View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Adelaide

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Adelaide
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
At that price range, you're stuck with the MacGregor.

I had a MacGregor 26M for a couple years. It was a terrible compromise of a boat. Don't buy one if you want to travel at 'trawler' speeds. I was always getting wet in that boat (all weather). I found that if the wind was blowing, I literally had to get the boat on a plane to avoid getting slapped in the face by the water. Yes, there was quite a bit of room in the 'dishwasher' style open layout..... but for most, it's pretty cold and gloomy down in that hole.

If you buy one, make sure you fill the ballast AND put the dagger-board down when coming in to dock at a marina. This should help you with maneuverability. Otherwise you will find yourself running around in reverse while you figure out how to get the 26 foot, feather of a boat, to go where you want it.

Watch out for the 26X, they have 0 permanent ballast (unlike the 26M with 300lbs). This scenario coupled with a new owner, has resulted in more than one death. Look it up. With that said, for a few thousand more, you should be able to find an early M somewhere in the country and trailer her home.

Good Luck!!!
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote