Sea Tow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You did the right thing. Storm approaching and he was not in distress. He could have threw an anchor out. His story about Sea Tow not responding is dubious.. I would not assume the liability for their tow. Also dissimiliar type of vessels is a consideration.. the trawler can throw a good wake at slow speeds.

Low visibility and in skinny water under tow, makes you assume the liability if another vessel crosses the tow line.

You did the right thing. Storm approaching and he was not in distress. He could have threw an anchor out. His story about Sea Tow not responding is dubious.. I would not assume the liability for their tow. Also dissimiliar type of vessels is a consideration.. the trawler can throw a good wake at slow speeds.

Low visibility and in skinny water under tow, makes you assume the liability if another vessel crosses the tow line.

I'm not sure...they pull their boat also...no sense in risking an asset that's gonna be needed post storm big time.

They might have responded but not necessarily for the regular fees. If it were in my area and I was the boss...and the boat was already pulled or secured...it might add $3-$500 to an already $3-$600 towing bill. But that's usually not a big deal as many insurance companies pay up to $1000 per incident towing, and that would be a great reason to use that offering.

I'm not sure...they pull their boat also...no sense in risking an asset that's gonna be needed post storm big time.

They might have responded but not necessarily for the regular fees. If it were in my area and I was the boss...and the boat was already pulled or secured...it might add $3-$500 to an already $3-$600 towing bill. But that's usually not a big deal as many insurance companies pay up to $1000 per incident towing, and that would be a great reason to use that offering.
PS, this was Sunday night. Couple of days before the storm.

You may think I have a poor opinion of the average recreational boater's skills in my area.........and you would be correct.
Ted

I think your assessment is correct and not just for your area. It certainly applies to us. We have never towed anything but our wake. We are not rigged for towing and it would be very difficult to do so given that we carry a dinghy across our transom.

Carey of this forum received complete instruction as well as practice in towing in his time with the Coast Guard Auxiliary. So I would consider him to be qualified to provide a safe tow. But not us. Nor, I suspect, most of the boaters out there.

Consequently we would not offer to provide a tow nor would we agree to do so if asked. It's not in our skill set so the risk in terms of hull damage and liability is too high.

As I said, the comment that Sea Tow wouldn't respond is dubious... (Sea Tow was towing in p'cola on Monday. )

skipperdude said:
Where I live and boat there is no Sea tow, Boat U.S. or any other kind of tow service.

There are a few charter company's that will do salvage. Thats about it.

If you are broke down you can only call the USGS or another boater.

when you are out in the woods you gotta help each other.

That being said . Were I in Mr Forklifts situation where there are other options. I would have done exactly as he did.

There are cruisers out there in parts of the world where like me there is no other option than to ask for help from another human being.
A break down on a trawler is an issue that can turn into a May-Day.

Sail boaters call the engine the auxiliary. Sail being the primary form of propulsion. Like F.F. said an intact sailboat has propulsion eventually.

May Day is one thing.

I will help.

All others get out the card.

So if you have to tow what is the best way?
On the hip or a tow behind?

SD

Dave

In my 10 years of cruising PWS and the gulf I needed a tow once.

Called one of the kyak haulers and got towed from ester passage to Whittier. As you know about 25 miles.
Cost was 750 I was happy to pay it.

People can get a commercial tow in Alaska. The problem is that most boaters are too cheap to pay for it.

They'd rather ruin someone else's weekend by asking a fellow boater for a free tow.

They weren't "members", so their credit card was rejected? :nonono:

---------------------------------

So their credit card was no good?? Because you don't have to be a member to use Sea Tow services. (see below)

That alone would make me wonder about the individuals on the sailboat.
Non-Member Services

Not yet a member of Sea Tow? We can still help. Non-members have access to the services that would normally be provided under the membership, but for a fee. Charges begin when our captain leaves the dock and end when they return. Per hour fees vary by location and can range from $175 to $450 per hour with the average service time being 2 ½ hours. Payment is due at the time of service. Avoid the out-of-pocket expense by becoming a Sea Tow member today. Remember, our members get priority service over non-members.

LB

---------------------------------

So their credit card was no good?? Because you don't have to be a member to use Sea Tow services. (see below)

That alone would make me wonder about the individuals on the sailboat.
Non-Member Services

Not yet a member of Sea Tow? We can still help. Non-members have access to the services that would normally be provided under the membership, but for a fee. Charges begin when our captain leaves the dock and end when they return. Per hour fees vary by location and can range from $175 to $450 per hour with the average service time being 2 ½ hours. Payment is due at the time of service. Avoid the out-of-pocket expense by becoming a Sea Tow member today. Remember, our members get priority service over non-members.

LB
After we purchased our Bayliner that sank in Katrina (about 9 years ago) our first trip was across Lake Ponchatrain to New Orleans. We saw a Sea Tow boat for the first time and I remember getting an application and thinking it would be a good idea. Within 2 months, at night on Lake Ponchatrain in a storm, we were taking on water and at risk of sinking (long story) and we called Sea Tow. He came across the lake and got us to our slip in Madisonville. We hadn't signed up, so the bill was over $700. I would have gladly paid $7,000!

After we purchased our Bayliner that sank in Katrina (about 9 years ago) our first trip was across Lake Ponchatrain to New Orleans. We saw a Sea Tow boat for the first time and I remember getting an application and thinking it would be a good idea. Within 2 months, at night on Lake Ponchatrain in a storm, we were taking on water and at risk of sinking (long story) and we called Sea Tow. He came across the lake and got us to our slip in Madisonville. We hadn't signed up, so the bill was over $700. I would have gladly paid $7,000!

I know the story...have been at the towing vessel end of it many times..:D

Just for everyone's info out there...if you are taking on water and need to be dewatered, even while being towed.....that's usually not a covered item in assistance towing membership. The company can charge extra for that...and while if you need it you need it (and your insurance will probably cover it)...make sure you ask up front and get a reasonable charge from the tower.

If it's broad daylight and calm conditions...maritime courts/arbitration usually only allows a reasonable hourly rate...but if it's a dark and stormy...watch out as the charges can go to true salvage percentages of the yacht.

If you haven't already, go to the Sea Tow or Boat US website and read the sections on salvage as they might save you a lot of aggravation when/if the time comes because you won't need the captain to explain everything as the cold water gets higher on your ankles or has to scream above the wind driven breakers on the rocks under you...:eek:

Is Sea Tow, Calender year or Date of sign up?
I'm pretty sure both majors are 365 from when you sign up...around here a lot of guys sign up whenever, then renew at the winter boat show so their membership doesn't expire during their main season.

I'm also pretty sure they both have auto renewal if you give them a credit card.

thanks Psneeld.

Don't leave home without it...:thumb:

Actually...I love the job but hate the concept...I remember back to the days of few on the water and the brotherhood. When that didn't work, the Coasties responded. As the tired old expression says..."the good old days" ;)

A couple of kind words about Seatow, in Sydney Australia. Recently we were delayed refueling while Seatow brought a diesel boat which had run out of fuel onto the fuel wharf;the Seatow guy stayed on board during refuel to bleed and restart the engine.
Recently in Blackwattle Bay, where the Sydney wholesale and retail fish market is acquaintances in a sailing yacht had their gearbox fail while moving from too close to a seawall and needed a tow;not being members they called Seatow who wanted $175 + for the job, but then said they were actually heading for the Fish Markets themselves and would do the short repositioning tow for $35.
The master Seatow franchise here is for sale,may the buyers be as good as the current operator. BruceK

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom