View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #29
rjwilliams11741

City: Minden, NV & California Delta
Back to the time issue. The 2 year time frame that was suggested is a pretty good estimate for a round trip. I would give myself at least 9 to 12 months to get from Seattle to the Canal. We took a month to leisurely transit from San Francisco to San Diego and then a little over a week getting from San Diego to Cabo with stops in Ensenada (fuel available), Turtle Bay (fuel available), Bahia Santa Maria (no fuel) and then on to Cabo, and then a couple of days getting from Cabo to La Paz.

The Sea of Cortez is a must and I would give it at least a month, preferably two to explore and enjoy. You can easily spend 4 or 5 months cruising down through Mexico and then into Central America. The nice thing is that (especially in Mexico) you can find nice Marinas where you can leave your boat and return home for a while.

Being in Seattle you can easily get on a Dockwise ship in Nanimo and have you boat shipped to La Paz if you want to save time but it's not cheap. We got a quote of just under $25,000 for a 50 Ft. Trawler for the trip from La Paz to Namimo - I believe they also ship to Costa Rica and then proceed on to Ft. Lauderdale but you'd be missing the Sea of Cortez and the west coast of Mexico which in my opinion is the best part of the trip.
rjwilliams11741 is offline   Reply With Quote