Old 08-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #54
Fenway Frank

City: Plymouth
Vessel Name: Adagio
Vessel Model: 1981 Island Gypsy
IG 32 Teak Deck drainage by aft scuppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Andy,* When you removed your teak decks, was the hardwood block core*bad in large areas or just around the filler pipes and deck fittings?* How much of the core was compromised by water leakage?* When I installed new fillers for my fuel tanks I cut new holes thru the deck and found a fairly substantial glass laminate above and below the core.* Was the deck stiff enough without the teak or did you have to add more layers of glass?* Also did the old sealant holding the teak seem be intact? Would the deck remain in place without the screws?* Just wondering.* John P

John P
IG 32 #25
Toms River NJ

John,
I recently bought a 1981 IG 32' out of NY and it was also named Adagio. I am new to the boat and will be reseaming the decks with caulk in the off-season. Following rain, I noticed that water squeezes out of the seams where the last teak trim board wraps around the aft teak deck by the scuppers and doesn't dry out until several days later. I have no visible leakage in the laz or main engine compartment from the decks. How would you suggest I repair this problem? When I reseam the decks, should I also put a bead of caulk around the entire edge of the teak deck between the teak and the fiberglass? It seams to me that teak trim board that wraps around the aft deck by the scuppers sees the most water since this is the path taken by the water to the scuppers. How would you prevent the water from getting under the teak deck at this location? Would removing and rebedding the teak trim board be the answer? I don't want to trap water in and cause a bigger problem. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Fenway Frank is offline   Reply With Quote