View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
C lectric
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I suggest you do not write off a boat with or without a flybridge untill you have figured out a lot more about your intended use and cruising needs and looked at lots of both.

You have to look at where you are and what you want to do and of course the vessel size enters into it.
Many vessels have only inside steering, whether sedan type or pilot house.
The bridge does make a difference in close quarters manouvering on many vessels and many people prefer the flybridge to run the boat.

Are you a sunworshipper? Often people find they must install biminis or they fry in the sun. In our neck of the woods total canvas covers of the flybridge is required unless you want to be an Eskimo or a rainbird and drown or freeze if you use the boat in any inclement weather. On the other hand the bimini cover provides good shade in hot weather.

Where do you boat, what are the typical weather conditions and when do you expect to use the boat?

Do you want to carry a dinghy on top or kayaks/canoes/bikes? The upper deck can be good places to store this stuff but a fly bridge structure may limit you. On the other hand a protruding pilothouse may also. On the other hand many flybridges offer good or at least reasonable storage for light, bulky stuff that can't be stored easily below.

Very important is visibility from the inside steering station. Some boats have very good visibility from inside, some do not. Be sure if you avoid a flybridge model that you can REALLY see allowing for bow rise, railings, etc.

My own experience. I had a 24' flyb cruiser and used both stations depending on weather. Usually I was on the bridge for docking.
The next boat was a hardtop express cruiser, precursor to the sunbridges, and had no choice but visibility was good. That also gave us weather protection which is important here and when we used to do winter cruising.
My current boat, 32', of nearly 30 years has both. I seldom run from the flybridge at all anymore. Comfort, coffee, talk to my wife, and excellent visibilty including most docking situations. Also I could afford to outfit one station resonably well with gear, not two. However there are times when the flybridge is great in a new, tight quarters docking situation. Most docking though are from below. And of course I do use the extra storage up above to keep prawn and crab traps and some other gear that would be almost impossible to find space for below.

So don't write off one or the other untill you have studied a lot more. No matter what you choose there will be tradeoffs.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote