I want to buy this trawler!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great model. The $500 price tag is actually pretty reasonable for something of this size and detail. The "lobsterboat" description seems off, however, as it couldn't carry enough pots to make the endeavor worthwhile.. With that huge bow pulpit it looks more of a swordfish boat to me.

Last edited:
Great model. The $500 price tag is actually pretty reasonable for something of this size and detail. The "lobsterboat" description seems off, however, as it couldn't carry enough pots to make the endeavor worthwhile.. With that huge bow pulpit it looks more of a swordfish boat to me.

It is a pretty darn impressive model. It is neither a lobster, nor a swordfish vessel. It is the most awesome shark hunting vessel ever known to man. :)

Seriously- I grew up watching this movie. I don't know what my parents were possibly thinking in letting me and my sisters watch it when I was only probably 4 years old but I have seen that movie countless times over the years- a total classic.

As impressive as this is from the outside I find the level of detail on the inside nothing short of incredible.

Any of you guys also modelers? Here's one I put together from a plank-on-frame stick kit a few years back. Not anywhere close to the level of detail on the shark boat, but I enjoyed making it.

Attachments

• DSCF0043.jpg
    DSCF0043.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 113
Mahalo Moi in model form. Had it commissioned after sending several photos of detail of Mahalo Moi to the builder.

Attachments

• image-1087426790.jpg
    image-1087426790.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 134
I like that they included a prop from one of my favorite lines of the movie.....You want slow ahead? I can go slow ahead, come down here and chum some of this ****! The chum bucket is visible in the cockpit picture.

Last edited:
A company called "Captain's Models" out of Cottage Grove, Oregon. The man that started the business died suddenly shortly after completing my model. However, I believe his sons were picking up the slack and taking orders. The sons did most of the production work on the boats so they may have continued with the business.

My tug is the subject of a kit model that was produced originally by Dumas and is currently made by Harbor models. The Model is of the "Mister Darby" (former name).
One of these days I'll get around to building it. All of 4' long and radio controlled. Last month someone had one listed on craigslist (Boston)- it was sold for $125 within 10 minutes of it being posted. I called and it was long gone, bummer!

36” loa / 40.5” tall / 8” beam – 19th Century whale boat replica.

Have it in my office!

Seen similar in full scale while cruising to Mystic CO back in 1950's / 60's

Attachments

• Whale Boat_0001.jpg
    Whale Boat_0001.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Whale Boat_AS058.jpg
    Whale Boat_AS058.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 102

Having (in early 1970's) spent considerable time aboard and around working lobster boats, with one good friend (nick named - "Trapper" and another named "Crazy K") still plying the lobsterman trades in their own boats around Notrhport, Camden, Rockport and Rockland ME,... Firstly: Especially with a fighting chair and sf pole in cockpit, this is a very nice old-style sport fisher but it sure ain't no "Lobster Boat" as advertised. I have miniature model (10" long) of a real old-world lobster boat with ME insignias hanging off the ships bell over salon's pilot station in salon of our Tolly. Secondly: Damn nice model and if it was around 45' in real life would be a great boat to own... but make sure at least the bottom of a baby that old was recently refastened with monel-material fasteners! - Good luck in purchase of the model! - Art :thumb:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom