This forum isn't working well now (for me)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Suddenly, and for the last couple of weeks, it takes an average of thirty attempts to log onto this forum, and I've been totally unsuccessful trying to respond to personal messages.

So, I hear there is a planned rendevous at Angel Island the weekend after the next. Am definitely interested. Hopefully, the Coot will leave the boatyard soon: should know more by tomorrow.

Anyway, the best way to communicate with me is not via this forum but using email. My address is marcoperforar@yahoo.com.

img_100161_0_c992015cf1bf7084f8762affe5129c15.jpg

Mark I think you must have some sort of in-house issue there, as it all works fine for me. Including PMs etc.

My computer doesn't like it either...I get a lot of freeze ups/very slow loading of pages. Not as bad as Mark's but not great a lot of the time.

It's not just this forum but many with the same formatting and ads.

No issues with the forum loading for me.Coots looking good.I really like her under water profile.

Working well here in Washington.

No problems for me using several computers in both South Carolina and Georgia (both at home and on a business network). Working with information systems every day, I suspect those of you experiencing problems could have issues with any number of things on your PCs - browser/version, pop-up blockers, plug-ins, extenders, anti-virus applications, firewall (Windows or a network you're on), a virus infection or malware, etc., etc. The moderators and sysadmin will have to chime in, but I doubt seriously there's a problem with the forum

No problems for me using several computers in both South Carolina and Georgia (both at home and on a business network). Working with information systems every day, I suspect those of you experiencing problems could have issues with any number of things on your PCs - browser/version, pop-up blockers, plug-ins, extenders, anti-virus applications, firewall (Windows or a network you're on), a virus infection or malware, etc., etc. The moderators and sysadmin will have to chime in, but I doubt seriously there's a problem with the forum

For some of the stuff I agree it could be the user...but if there's a problem with other common software (virus protection, popup blockers, etc)...I guess it just depends on HOW user friendly you want your site to be.

I use Mozzila Firefox with Adblock. Most likely your issues are related to your browser and the adds that are placed on this site. Use ad-block with Firefox and your experience should improve. Good luck.

No trouble here, PC with IE8, or with I Pad (without special Ap)

I use Mozzila Firefox with Adblock. Most likely your issues are related to your browser and the adds that are placed on this site. Use ad-block with Firefox and your experience should improve. Good luck.

Thanks...was thinking of doing that...but for me it hasn't been pianful yet...sounds like for Mark it is...

No trouble here, PC with IE8, or with I Pad (without special Ap)

IE8 is the latest Microsoft browser for Windows XP and Apple products shouldn't have any issues at all. Chances are Mark is using an old version of Microsoft Explorer. I don't want to speak for him, so if he can see this, maybe he can let us know his current browser set up.....

No problems here. IE8, Apple and Android apps & browsers, Chrome.

There are no problems on the Forum end as far as I can see.

I did have login issues a couple weeks ago similar to what's been described and a simple cache cleaning did the trick on the laptop running Chrome.

This forum works fine for me at home (cable ISP) but can be slow or not fully load pages with a slower connection away from home.

I suspect the adds have something to do with it because "leaner, meaner" websites and forums load just fine for me with the slower connections.

Right now, there's an add at the top of the page for a company whose website I suspect my wife visited.

This website's (trawlerforum.com) software seems to be searching my computer for cookies or browsing history so it can display targeted adds. I'm sure that takes some extra time and processing power.

I suppose it pays the bills, but at a risk of alienating the users.

No problems at all for me on my macbook or iphone. I'd suggest dropping internet explorer and switching over to Firefox if using a PC.

One other thing just came to mind. Some folks never turn off the computer, if you do not restart your computer from time to time many automatic updates will not take affect.

I'm in Alaska now and never shut down my computer .. just sleep. Have it programed to wake up at 7am. There it was this morning all lit up waiting for me 2 min ago. I'll shut it down shortly and see if it gets any smarter tonight. I do install updates fairly often though as they pop up. Gotta go to Craig again. But then I should'nt have problems .. Got a big stand alone i-mac. Hughes Net is'nt the fastest though. And there has been strange little quirks lately like an image hesitating on it's way to where it going but maybe it's always been like that and I'm just now noticing. Basically no problems.

Mark could you plug in a different computer using all the same sources and inputs? If all is well then you better go buy a mac .. ha ha it may BE a mac.

Mark I really like your propeller as seen on another post.

Yup I also experience slow performance on this site along with a few others.

The issue for me is the add on's verses my anti virus on an older system. The auto upgrades change the paths but then creates issues with other custom apps I use.

The old forum was in want of not much from my equipment. The new one wants stuff from my equipment. Stuff anti virus , spam filters , etc check slowing the task.

For me any way.

The problem I described a few weeks ago in another thread of the forum going into a "connection has been reset" mode and not re-opening for awhile has not been occurring lately. This applies to the Macbook, iPad, and PC I use, the browsers Safari, Firefox, MS Explorer, and Chrome, and our home DSL, an AT&T 3G account, and my office's T-connection to a company server, all of which were reacting the same way.

While I am just a computer user, not any sort of technician, it seems to me that the problem Mark is having is due to some anomaly in his system unless he is experiencing it in multiple and different computer systems, web browser applications, and servers as I was. So perhaps a virus or something that has been triggered or re-set by something in the forum data coming in? I don't know if he has tried the usual fixes, like deleting all cookies and throwing out the preferences.

If Mark has access to someone else's computer and internet connection, one thing to try would be to sign in on that and see if everything is normal. If it is, this would seem to point to his own system as the source of the problem.

I'm in Newfoundland using only an iPhone or iPad with only sometimes being connected to a wi-fi. I have zero issues with this forum.

Great suggestion Marin!

Elwin

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

On my new Nexus 7, with Google Chrome, wireless at home does great. I also added an AT&T hotspot off my iPhone and she is smoking hot with that too.

In my opinion, window pc's should be "restarted" every week or so....

I don't have any problems with this site with my home computer, business laptop, business computer or Iphone. At home I use Comcast and about once a month i have to shut everything down, unplug the cable and leave the power completely off for about 15 minutes. After that everything works great for another month. thats for all sites, not just this one.
John

Switching from Internet Explorer to Firefox has solved the problem. Many thanks!

I use Firefox,Aurora,Nightely,Chrome.All are running adblock plus and Do Not Track Plus.None give me any problems.All the problems I experience come from my ISP.

unplug the cable and leave the power completely off for about 15 minutes. After that everything works great for another month. thats for all sites, not just this one.
John

I just don't understand the 'unplug for 15 minutes' stuff( being somewhat computer challenged)

Doesn't turning the computer off/on do the reboot, why does it need 15 minutes to get its act together, do the Gerbils need a rest? Every time I contact a company for tech support, the first thing I get is ' turn the machine off for5- 15 minutes'. Is this to allow the ISP to reconfigure your address or for your machine to reset, but without power how does it do this?

Can any one explain this, preferably in three syllable words or less.

I can't explain it but our bazillion dollar edit systems, which are PC based, require a 1 minute or so "wait" between a forced shutdown and a restart.

Switching from Internet Explorer to Firefox has solved the problem. Many thanks!

Welcome back Mark! :thumb: Now that you have narrowed it down to IE, you can delete and re-install IE with the latest software. Or, like most, stay with Mozilla or Chrome and never look back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom