Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Friday Harbor
WTB 42 GB Motoryacht

Hi,
My wife and I are looking for a Grand Banks 42 motoryacht...May consider a 42 classic if the right boat came along...but for now we have our eyes out for the motoryacht....

Bill & Chris

bcarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Bill & Chris,
Lots of GBs out there. Look on Yacht World, Craig's List and many other places. The woodies are really cheap and sooo well built. Put out a blurb on TF too.

Eric & Chris

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Good Luck. I love my GB42.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
Have you considered a 43 Hatteras MY? hint, hint.....
Same engines as GB (3208 cats). 3.5-4.0 gph@ 7.5 kts.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
The only one I know of personally is for sale in the San Francisco Bay Area. I think you could find it on Yachtworld. It's a beauty!

Edit: try this http://www.hmy.com/trades-brokerage/...w=1&ww=3715498

I couldn't find it on Yachtworld. Good luck!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #6

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
That's a nice GB, I'd rather have the 210 Cummins that the Cats in the motor yacht version - Although IMHO the Lehman 120's are hard to beat. If you want to go fast... Do it on land it is so much cheaper
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
A grand boat!:

Old 06-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #8
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
If you haven't already done so, visit NW Explorations in Bellingham. They have a large GB charter fleet and many are for sale.
NW Explorations | Yacht Sales, Charters & Services in the Pacific NW

I had a quick look and they only have one 42MY for charter at present. They say they have sold 54 GB in the last 51 months, so they will know the market pretty well. I have no connection with them, just figure that if wanting to compare GB's then its a good place to do it.

Personally I'd prefer a 46 Classic. A visit, or perhaps a short charter of different models would either cement your preference or give you some other options.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
If your cruising grounds includes mooring balls and they have stern lines you will absolutely prefer the classic. I'm in So. Cal and we have the fore and aft lines on our moorings. The walk around deck of the classic makes it the easiest boat to moor. Especially in cross winds and the motor yacht will have much more "sail" area than the classic making it even harder to moor. Just a slight 6 kt wind will mess with you.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:46 AM   #10

City: Coronado
Vessel Name: Gracie
Vessel Model: Grand Banks classic 48
Seamarinco in Port Townsend, WA has a GB 42 for sale. I saw her last month and she appears to be well cared for.
Mikeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Could you expand on why you like the 46 over the 42? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
If you haven't already done so, visit NW Explorations in Bellingham. They have a large GB charter fleet and many are for sale.
NW Explorations | Yacht Sales, Charters & Services in the Pacific NW

I had a quick look and they only have one 42MY for charter at present. They say they have sold 54 GB in the last 51 months, so they will know the market pretty well. I have no connection with them, just figure that if wanting to compare GB's then its a good place to do it.

Personally I'd prefer a 46 Classic. A visit, or perhaps a short charter of different models would either cement your preference or give you some other options.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
As far as I know the 46 is just a 42 with 4ft extra at the back. The extra room is nice to have, but a real bonus is the extra 4ft of waterline length. That means more speed (displacement speed mode) for the same fuel use. The only negative is that you need a dock space 4ft longer.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
As far as I know the 46 is just a 42 with 4ft extra at the back..
Well, no. The GB46 has significantly different features and configurations. Also the GB46 has a vast improvement over the GB42 and that is the step-down aft cockpit and transom door that make swim step/dinghy access terrific.

Toward the end of the run Grand Banks cheaped out (deliberately to try to reduce the production cost of the boat) and eliminated the GB46's step down cockpit. To me and my wife, this makes the last batch of GB46's not worth buying as, in our opinion, they ruined the boat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Clear Lake - Texas
Gb 42/46

The first 46 GB's appeared in I believe 1985. This was a stretched 42 so it shared the same beam, etc.. They only built a few of these (10?) and they were the "skinny 46's". Then GB made the 46 its own true mold which was wider, deeper, etc.. When they started building those 46's they had the wide trunk cabin aft which ate up about half of the walkaround side decks. After producing that boat for a couple of years they did away with the wide cabin aft.
The "motoryacht" (non Classic, non Europa) Grand Banks was made in the 36, 42, 46 and maybe the 49. (Not sure about the 49). These were not all that popular. I think they could have sold many more if they made a proper aft deck hardtop over it to make it a sundeck type boat. Without the hardtop there is nowhere good to put a dinghy and you bake out there without some type of a bimini or canvas flapping in the wind. Plus you don't have a lazarette to store line, fenders, etc.. On the plus side, the aft stateroom is a bit larger.
Stagalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

City: -
Having examined some of the GB Motoryachts that have come through the Bellingham GB dealer over the past bunch of years, my wife and I came to the conclusion that we don't like the configuration because it eliminates the full walkaround deck, which WE feel is essential on a boat in this neck of the woods.

And the aft cabin in a Classic model GB is full-width below the deck line. So the berths, cabinets, etc. all extend clear out to the hull anyway.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Having examined some of the GB Motoryachts that have come through the Bellingham GB dealer over the past bunch of years, my wife and I came to the conclusion that we don't like the configuration because it eliminates the full walkaround deck, which WE feel is essential on a boat in this neck of the woods. ...
And I can't adequately describe the utility and joy of having a proper walk-around deck, especially with secure handrails! (Shown here with an absolute no-wake; moving at 3.5 knots.)

Old 09-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I've got walk around decks too but don't like them. Too much space lost. Wish I had a Willard Voyager that has a full width cabin aft.

Once you buy a boat and get a lot of money and yourself into it you're kinda stuck. Wouldn't give up my nearly new engine and fuel tanks for the full cabin.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote