Old 03-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Palm Beach Gardens Fl
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40'
What's this Boat Worth??

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/laMHMg6QBqs

1977 Marine Trader DC. Completely restored and lovingly maintained...no time...so we gotta sell her. >(

...Not sure what she's worth. What do you think???

Located in North Palm Beach, Florida. Have a survey report if you like to see it let me know. Come and see her and I'll buy you lunch.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Pretty vague. ER pictures? AC? Galley? Cabins? Generator?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #3

City: marina del rey
Vessel Model: Goldenstar sportfisher
A broker once told me regarding a boat I was interested in: It may be over priced at $15K or under priced at $95K. Not trying to be funny, but it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. If well equipped, structurally and mechanically sound, and passes a full survey, I'm thinking 69K. Beautiful boat though.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Calypso Survey

Hi Here's the Survey Report -Attached. We've done a lot to her since this survey was done but the equipment is the same or upgraded so this will give you a comprehensive overview.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Calypso Survey .pdf (209.2 KB, 198 views)
Old 03-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
What's this Boat Worth??

Video looks very nice. The attached survey seems to be a listing ‘as equipped’ but doesn’t note condition, deficiencies or recommendations. A survey often includes a fair market value as well as a replacement value. That data should give you a good idea of what it’s worth along with some research on the major boat listing sites to account for demand, location differences and competing inventory.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
My survey said my purchase boat was great and replacement worth a fortune.

It however was close to the asking price, go figure as asking and selling price are rarely the same.

Fortunately I knew better so I take many surveys with a grain..... there are good ones, But rare in my experience.

Only very direct comparisons of similar vessels currently being sold is a decent yardstick.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Following is generalization... but, not too far off the mark!

A boat's dollar value to the owner and purchaser comes from two completely separate directions. One wants to receive much as possible and one wants to give little as possible

That's the first item...

Then's there actual condition of boat as well as how advanced accessories on the boat are. Herein lies the rub. Owner may feel boat is in better condition than it really is with accessories better than they are. Purchaser might feel boat is [or may be] in worse condition than it truly is and that accessories don't match expectations.

And... when you add into the mix potential hiding of faults by the seller and maybe overly stringent horse trading by the purchaser...

Well - You Get The Picture!

Boat buyen n' sellen ain't for the faint of heart.

My recommendation for seller is be truthful to yourself and to others. If you are a buyer... be ready to walk away at any time things just ain't right enough to continue.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:11 PM   #8

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
As the owner of a well maintained constantly worked on MT, my opinion is that it’s worth less than you hope, as so many of these TT’s are in such horrible condition that many buyers don’t give them a second look.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #9
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
My MT is priceless!

Seriously though, contact a broker for an opinion.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #10
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Can't really tell what the interior or ER area looks like, but on the exterior she is a beautiful boat!

Going quickly through the survey, a couple of questions pop up:

1) The survey lists a teak aft deck and walkways, but no teak is apparent in the video. Was the teak removed or glassed over?

2) The survey lists the boat as having the original engines with only 676 hours. Is this correct as its not much running time for a 40 year-old boat.

Jim
Old 03-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #11
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
Can't really tell what the interior or ER area looks like, but on the exterior she is a beautiful boat!

Going quickly through the survey, a couple of questions pop up:

1) The survey lists a teak aft deck and walkways, but no teak is apparent in the video. Was the teak removed or glassed over?

2) The survey lists the boat as having the original engines with only 676 hours. Is this correct as its not much running time for a 40 year-old boat.

Jim
Survey should have a date. Is it quite old?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #12
Guru

City: Northport
This was the only 37 aft I could find on the internet - it is marked as sold....

1977 Marine Trader Double Cabin Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 03-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Survey is quite old. It was completed in May 2012. But all the equipment is the same or has been upgraded. Since then we have painted the decks, all structures and hull. 4 coats awlgrip in 2012. Bottom, all structures and hull were re-painted with awlgrip primer and 2 top coats in November 2017. All systems are well maintained in working order.

I'll post more pictures this weekend. I have not advertised anywhere.

I appreciate the advice on fair pricing! She's worth far more than the sum of her parts...
Old 03-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #14
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
She may be worth more than the sum of her parts to you, but most buyers will want to pay dimes on the dollar for any upgrades or improvements.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #15

City: Wrightsville Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Time & Tide
Vessel Model: 2005 34T Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
This was the only 37 aft I could find on the internet - it is marked as sold....

1977 Marine Trader Double Cabin Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
And it sold for $25K

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/rende...107245&isPLS=0
Old 03-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #16
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
If I gave you my opinion of what I thought the boat was worth, you would be insulted so I won't do that. Also, the youTube video went very fast and little could be made out in detail.

On the positive side, the Awlgrip paint job looks great on fast video. I also didn't observe teak decks so assume they were replaced. Almost beyond belief, the "survey" indicated the wiring is good.

On the negative side, it needs at least $25K of electronics. Forty year old black iron fuel tanks will scare off most would be buyers. There is no dinghy/outboard. I was wondering if the Onan genny still works and whether that model is still supported. As with the engines, the low genny hours are suspect. The so called survey doesn't really speak to the condition of much of the boat or equipment.

Maybe you should consult with a surveyor or a broker to have them look at it and tell you what they think.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #17
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribe View Post
She's worth far more than the sum of her parts...
No educated buyer will ever say that.

Why not just tell us what you think you want to ask for it, post good pictures, and give us a clear write-up on her systems and condition? It would make everyone's life easier and stop everyone from guessing based on your high opinion of your own boat
Old 03-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribe View Post
.... She's worth far more than the sum of her parts...
This is where the disconnect occurs. It's not. If you were to buy each part individually it would be exponentially more expensive than buying the boat as a whole, literally.

What you're confusing is the value of the sum of your memories, not the boat. I know you wouldn't sell your memories, but honestly, nobody wants to pay for them either.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:37 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Seems the OP seeks "expressions of interest",or offers, thereby avoiding "the price issue",which rightly or wrongly suggests it`s "high". Better to put a price on it,whatever it is.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #20
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Okay, I'll take a second bit of the apple.

What does "completely restored" mean? I suspect that for you and I it has different meanings.

I'm 12 - 18 months away from buying my next boat, but if it's an older trawler, my big ticket items would be teak deck condition (if applicable), engine(s) condition, and fuel tanks condition.

Why was the teak painted? Teak decking is normally reconditioned or removed.

What are the engine hours? As my previous post notes, the survey says 697 total hours on a 40 year-old boat?

Are the steel fuel tanks the original tanks?

For me, issues with any of the above would impact on the value of a boat.

Jim