Old 08-21-2019, 12:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Delray Beach, Fl.
Vessel Name: Dani-Lu
Vessel Model: Searay/410 Sundancer
Used RIB Dinghy

Looking to purchase a lightly used 9.5’ fiberglass RIB Dinghy. Prefer AB or Caribe, but would consider other quality dinks.

I am in southeast florida.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 08-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Jeff, Someone on the DF owners group is selling a 8.5 Rigid Tender in Punta Gorda - 2019 10HP Tohatsu - Trailer - $9450. Let me know if you want more info or connected.

Manufacturers video below.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks, I am looking for an open RIB. Trying to keep weight down.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:37 PM   #4

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
You might look at the Inmar aluminum hull boats. Very light for their size, and not too expensive. US made, west coast.
A Chinese boat similar to those are the North Atlantic Inflatables aluminum hull boats, about $4300 for 12 ft in Hypalon.
JohnS
Old 08-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
You might look at the Inmar aluminum hull boats. Very light for their size, and not too expensive. US made, west coast.
A Chinese boat similar to those are the North Atlantic Inflatables aluminum hull boats, about $4300 for 12 ft in Hypalon.
JohnS
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I am pretty set on fiberglass, based on reading many aluminum vs fiberglass debate threads.

Although I have read countless threads from folks that went aluminum and would never go back to fiberglass, the cons seem to have effected my decision more than the pros.

Positive: great for pulling up on beach - No worries about gouging or chipping fiberglass.

My thought: I am in southeast florida, and things tend to rust much quicker down here. I would not get a painted aluminum, because that sounds like another issue in a few ways.

i have read many folks talk about the aluminum separating from the tubes. I would think this may be more pronounced down here with the sun baking the metal bottom sitting on my platform for a week at a time.

I am trying to keep all options open, but it seems aside from being heavier and getting some damage from pulling up on beaches, which is easy for me to repair, fiberglass has less negative reviews.

Hope I am not insulting anyone. This is just how I have digested the many owner reviews I have read.

Jeff
Old 08-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Have you looked on Craigslist?
Btw finding a used rhib that doesn’t leak air is like finding a taxi without dents. Pretty rare. Leaks are why they go up for sale.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
Old 08-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, I look on Craigslist, daily. Nothing yet.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Still No Dinghy.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Have you tried places like Sailorman in FtL or Marine Connection Liquidators in Ft Pierce?
How about the Tender Care place in Ft L? Nautical Ventures? Have you tried the bulletin boards in some of those places or BOW? Just to name a few...
What's your budget, is that the hang up? There are alot of options in Ft. Lauderdale with people trading in /up.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 09-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I want a used 9’ AB or Caribe open fiberglass RIB. Preferably with bow storage. As you mentioned, I would think folks wind up trading up from a 9’. Trying to get one that has been depreciated, rather than spending over $4,000 new. I found a 2007 Caribe, but the owner wants $1,700. That seems expensive for a 12 year old florida dinghy. And this one is on the west coast, quite a distance from Delray Beach. A five year old one would be perfect. I have only looked on line at some of the places you mentioned. I will try calling them too.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #11

City: FL
Vessel Name: Cavara
Vessel Model: DeFever 49 RPH
Used RIB in FL

Still looking for a RIB?
https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/boa/d/punta-gorda-rigid-tender-hp-tohatsu/6936818260.html
Old 09-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #12

The Rigid Tender weighs only 185 lbs...
Plus the motor At 80 lbs.
Regarding beaching it...
You could add a Keelguard, couple of different brands out there. Friends use it, they love it.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Fitz, the 8’ Rigid tender looks like a great set up for 2 people, but it weighs a lot more than the 4 person open 9’ Caribe and AB dinghys I am considering. Just having tough time finding any in good shape. If nothing used shows up soon, I will have to break the bank for a new one. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #14

I have friends bringing theirs (zodiac 9' w Yama) down.
Couple of years old...like new really.
Should be here (FL) by mid Nov.
fitz1357@hotmail.com
for more info about it, on FB Marketplace
Old 09-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #15

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
I have a not-so-lightly used Caribe 9’ (or maybe it’s 9.5) with bow storage and 2 stroke 8hp Nissan. I switched to an 8’ AB aluminum with 1.5 Yamaha to reduce size and weight. The dinghy has a very slow leak that I haven’t found yet, and the engine needs a new recoil starter, but ran perfectly. When I find and patch the leak and replace the recoil starter I’m going to put on Craigslist for $800. As-is, you’re welcome to them for $400. PM me if interested.