• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: Ultimate Trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamup

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bay Tripper
Vessel Make
'06 MS 34 Pilot
00V0V_7ccVeXbdQ8c_600x450.jpg

Ultimate Trawler Yacht- Bargain Price

Has nicer lines and proportions than 95% of the trawlers I've seen and no FB. Looks like it could be a SD hull. Like the hawspipe. The bridge is wonderful unless your'e the helmsman. Could rope off the fwd end though.

A smaller one just like this would be better but ................

It needs a scrape and pain job, but on the bright side, it's floating right-side up.

Greetings,
Wood?
twin 12-71's?
sunk and re floated?
Surveyors say "Best hulls in history"?
AND $30K?
NOT a trawler and a MAJOR $$$$$ project. IMO
Not thanks. Oh, and welcome aboard Mr. J.

Greetings,
Wood?
twin 12-71's?
sunk and re floated?
Surveyors say "Best hulls in history"?
AND $30K?
NOT a trawler and a MAJOR $$$$$ project. IMO
Not thanks. Oh, and welcome aboard Mr. J.

Navy sold that one and kept the USS Constitution....I'd check the credentials of that surveyor....:D

That would be an awesome lifetime project-liveaboard.....if I were only 3 again I might have the time

Last part of ad: "boat needs work." Bwahahaha. Master of understatement.

And Rambler, "It needs a scrape and PAIN job..." Awesome.

Last part of ad: "boat needs work." Bwahahaha. Master of understatement.

The best version of condition I've seen in a survey (it was for a marina for sale) was "Exhibits extensive amounts of deferred maintenance." Now THAT'S understatement."

That would be an awesome lifetime project-liveaboard.....if I were only 3 again I might have the time

If you were 3 again, you probably couldn't see over the console, maybe not even the gunwale. But, on the upside, you wouldn't have to stoop in the engine compartment. :dance:

I wonder if you would have to tear more wood out of her than my boat???:eek:

If I were 3 again I'd be smarter than I am now than to even try that one on for size.:D

There's no need to make fun of her poor condition. No one will likely buy her. This is a time to admire what she was and still is in the lines of her image. This is still the real thing to see and enjoy visions of her fine design and probable interesting history. I'd love to hear and feel her 12 cylinder engines rumble to life as only a DD can. Imagine 12 times as many power strokes per revolution as my 4 cyl Mitsubishi. I wonder what she was planked w and what her hull looks like below the WL?

My father had a boat similar to this in 1950. A Navy boat a lot like a trawler powered by a 8 cyl 268A DD. 500hp. Ten knots. She and her 4 sisterships were 21.5' X 103' and aboard her in 1949 is where my boating started. Dad had her refrigerated and hauled meat for Carson Meat Packing Co from Puget Sound to Juneau and other SE AK ports. At times he filled her to nearly sinking on the return trip w salmon.

At some point in time Dad's boat the "Hulawai" (Home of the Sea in Hawaiian) probably looked like the vessel above and I hope she received more respect that I see here on this thread. Sure .. fools frequently buy boats like this one appears to be but the vessel herself is no fool and deserves respect.

This is not a rant and I mean no disrespect to posters.

I think you will find that the fun is being made of the person who put the ad up - not the poor old boat herself. In fact, I am somewhat shocked by the poor condition of a boat built in 1985. Many of the posters on this board own boats SIGNIFICANTLY older - and yet they were never allowed to deteriorate to such a sorry state.

I think you will find that the fun is being made of the person who put the ad up

I trust you were referring to the Original CL poster.

This is closer to the ideal as long as one can afford its maintenance and crew, but maybe not the best gunkholer:

img_249242_0_5dd465f9cec4f9a03d4dbb56ddcb9bd3.jpg

Or how about a depression-era President's yacht?:

img_249244_0_4c6246b217b2c0d1e1c7fc40617a7481.jpg

Last edited:
kraftee,
Thanks for the idea and you're probably right.

Nineteen Eighty Five!!!!! Hard to believe. Maybe she isn't so bad after all. Wood boats built for the Navy are usually made of the best materials. But it's like having an old Rolls Royce. Anybody w enough money to maintain it wouldn't be interested it. Like our trawlers. Most of us can't even afford to run them as they were designed. Can't afford the fuel but we can scrape up enough money to buy then .... when they get old.i could afford to buy this one but buy the fuel for two 900 cu. in. engines is unimaginable.

LOL Jamup, of course. I was referring to the guy who wrote the CL ad!

Last edited:
Refastening about do

Probably a 100k in screws alone, not counting labor. Unless you want to fasten her under water you'll need a pretty good crew to get that done with out drying her out beyond repair. Bottom paint probably just guessing 3-4k plus labor, caulking another 2k unless she dries out and then your looking at 10k or better. Oh and than your not putting her on a travel lift and parking her in a yard. You're going to tie up a marine railway with this baby. Maybe a dry dock at Bay Yachts. If the marina is doing a lien sale what were they thinking. Probably cost 60-100k to cut her up and dispose of her.

I think it is quite a good buy. For someone with some cash, and a need for a decent sized boat. Maybe someone who wanted to run a charter fishing or scuba diving charter business, eg.
I don't think it's as bad as some are making out. The 'needs work' statement is often made about anything which is a bit tired - often mostly cosmetic. I see it in ads for houses, cars, and boats. In fact it would have been entirely apt to be in the ad for my boat when I bought it. Just saying'...

Greetings,
Hmmm....$135K three years ago. Well, as I noted in post #5 it appears she sank and it could have been pre-$135K listing (one engine runs one is PICKLED-Why pickled?). The only thing you're buying is the hull and superstructure. Wiring, engines and pretty much everything else would have to be looked at and refurbished if necessary. It doesn't matter how well she was originally constructed, after a salt water soaking, it's "do everything" time IMO. Could be in the mid to upper six figure range, at least....Just sayin'....For $800K you could buy this:
http://www.djurgardsvarvet.se/en/component/pixvarvet/boat/active/rescue-vessels/hagbart-waage-47076

Last edited:
Rescue ships. Nice. Maybe a tad less refined than the Admiral would want, but us boys might not mind the sparse accommodations. You'd be doing the boating world a kind favor by adopting a rescue ship, as well as a rescue dog to travel with you.

Solomons Md today

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140712_152120.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140712_152120.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:
Hey maybe one of those check writers will buy it and post pictures of the progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom