Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Trawler Wanted

hey all. i currently own two beautiful cabin cruisers which we enjoy overnighters and day trips with on the long island sound. my wife and i have decided to switch gears and venture beyond our comfort zone and cruise the atlantic intracoastal and beyond. we need something spacious enough for the two of us plus two boys and three dogs. we are down with a little tlc or something fully restored. our goal is to trade one of or both of our cruisers for our new vessel to be. we could make payments on top of and possibly even throw a little cash on top.

please post or pm if you have some interest and we will discuss.

thanks for reading.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
re: Trawler Wanted

If you are serious about looking for a suitor in a deal like this, you might want to give a little more information about the "cabin cruisers". That is an awfully broad term. And my unsolicited advice would be that you would probably be better off selling them seperately and then put that money towards a trawler. You really limit your choices when you offer up a deal like that....not to mention you likely won't get what your other boats are worth. Anyway....

Old 02-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

TrAwLeR WANTED!

Quote:
Baker wrote:

"If you are serious about looking for a suitor in a deal like this, you might want to give a little more information about the "cabin cruisers". That is an awfully broad term. And my unsolicited advice would be that you would probably be better off selling them seperately and then put that money towards a trawler. You really limit your choices when you offer up a deal like that....not to mention you likely won't get what your other boats are worth. Anyway...."

You are right. I thought I would just put the feelers out to see if there was anyone on the site that may be interested in downsizing. This economy is aweful and nobody can sell anything near what it's worth. I figure bartering and trading would be the most fair way to go. As far as my boats I have:

1) 1987 Thompson Daytona 290 - Twin screw Merc 490 190mr engines with alpha one out-drives. Custom helm which I molded and assembled myself. All new Faria gauges, all new proper electrical grade wiring, Garmin GPS/Chartplotter, open cockpit set up. 29' by reggistration, 33" long overall. 9'8" beam. Stand up head, full galley, aft cabin good for small children, closed off v birth "stateroom" for adults.

2) 2003 Rinker 270 Fiesta Vee. All options but genset. MAG 350 MPI single engine with BravoIII outdrive. Kid friendly aft cabin, little cramped v birth conversion to bed up front. Fully equipped galley, small head. I just got all new black canvas from Rinker and added a radar last season and 15" flat panel TV. 27' long and 8'4" beam.

I have tons of pics of both boats and will post some as soon as I figure out how. Both boats are totally turn key ready to go. My Rinker is getting bottom painted and new zinks added soon. The Tompson has all new fresh Interlux anti foul bottom and new zinks.

Cheers!

-- Edited by NY Gin on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 02:54:52 PM

-- Edited by NY Gin on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 02:55:23 PM

-- Edited by NY Gin on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 02:55:55 PM
Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

It would be the rare trawler owner that would want to downsize to a gas powered boat. I agree with Baker- I would sell both for whatever you can get and then buy the trawler.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Good luck. Likely there is somebody out there willing to pay a fair price for that Rinker. Get on it and get it listed however you are gonna sell it. There is no better time of the year to sell a boat than right now. Everybody is coming off of a horrible Winter and Spring Fever will be serious this year. Go full boar on a selling campaign and you will likely get her sold!!! I know nothing about the Thompson BTW...
Old 02-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Guru

"t would be the rare trawler owner that would want to downsize to a gas powered boat. "

Not so sure that wpould be as rare as you think. I know some who have done just that.
When I'm thru with the loop in a couple ofyears I plan on downsizing, IF I stay in boating. It would not bother me to have a gas boat depending on the situation and how much I think I might use it.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

It's one thing to find someone willing to trade a trawler for a fast gasser, but to find a trade scenario where the trawler or gassers are exactly what both parties want, would be impossible. Therefore, I would definitely sell your boats, and buy exactly what you want, rather than what you get offered.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Its like the Lotto saying ..... "You never know!"
Old 02-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Quote:
NY Gin wrote:

Its like the Lotto saying ..... "You never know!"
********* Its a lot like the Lotto---- You better have a backup plan.

JohnP
Old 02-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Lol, that's funny!!! No back up plan needed. I am not desperate for a boat nor am I in a rush. I have 2 great boats now to enjoy. If I can't find what I am looking for with another party then I will simply cruise my Thompson down the ICW to a point south for the Winter. I am learning a lot about larger cruisers and have several possibilities lined up but like I said, no rush.

Live Simply
Old 02-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Sounds like a backup plan to me----and a pretty good one at that.

I am sure you know buying is easy and selling is hard.

Selling is like the Lotto-** You never Know!

JohnP
Old 02-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Lol, oh I know it!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #13

Hi Guys,
We maybe on the same page, not quite a trawler but at 1gal,kt/hr. * I have an older boat 80% restored it is on yacht world.* 1974 Hatteras Motor Yacht in*RI, Brewers brokage has it 401-884-1690, Mike Farman, survey on file,*but I am looking for a trade to 30-37 foot vessel.*
I am open to trades and cash very motivated.
3 Staterooms, 3 heads the list of new is extensive!
capt.cbc@gmail.com
the boat is in RI on land easy to see!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

I got to sat Cody I think your price will not enable a sale in the near future. I don't know if you have options but if you want to get a "real" valuation I'd be glad to help, PM me if you'd like some professional advise.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:28 AM   #15
FF
Guru

I am learning a lot about larger cruisers and have several possibilities lined up but like I said, no rush.

NOW while there is still cash in your pocket is the time to purchase "Mid size Powerboats",,,Dave H.. Pascoe

There is no better book to get started , tho reading the FREE boat reviews on his web site is a good po boy start.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

TrAwLeR WANTED!

Thanks for the advice! Wilco.

-- Edited by NY Gin on Monday 28th of February 2011 07:47:36 AM
Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

PM sent!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

" ... the 53' for $160k? I looked at the sister ship to her yesterday for an asking price of $40k "

OOps, the boat I looked at it a 53' Trojan MY, not Hatt. Sorry .......
Old 02-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #19
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:

Ginster - I had a 53 Hat, and don't believe there is a better layout on the planet, although it is not a Trawler by any means. If you have found one at $40K, it has to be a disaster though. Nothing on that boat will be cheap or fast to replace. But, since you have found it, if you are not interested, please let me know where it is. I would like to see this one quickly. Is it on the Sound?
Carl,

Curious...which do you like better, the 53 hatt you had or your 50 marine trader? *I have always really liked the 53 hatt- awesome liveaboard....just can't get excited about those DD's anymore for a power plant. *Truth be told though, I absolutely fell in love with the hatt 58 Yachtfish a few years ago- almost bought one but now that the market has collapsed I am glad I did not- would have been WAY upside down on that deal had I closed it. * *The 58 YF though....just about the perfect boat. *
Old 02-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I wonder how similar the 53 Hat is compared to the 53' Trojan?

Closed Thread