Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 AM   #61
Veteran Member

re: Trawler Wanted

Ironically I woke up this morning remembering a dream I had last night.... I was the Captain of a trawler. I can't help but feel that perhaps going forward trading my Thompson for the Egg Harbor may not be the right thing for my family and I. Uuuggggggg

Old 03-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #62
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Gin,
Unless the plan for the Egg would be to even swap so that you could then turn around and sell her for financial gain, if you have your heart set on a trawler, I would wait. Each time you buy and sell you are going to loose money. You will save yourself money and headaches and time if you find the boat you truly want.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Well what I've managed to work out is indeed an even trade.

My 1987 Thompson Daytona 290 for his 1972 Egg 38'

His boat needs some TLC, mine is turn key. I just have a very limited budget for repairs, maintenance and dockage. In fact I am having a hard time finding a slip for her. I could most likely do the sway, enjoy her for some time while upgrading/working on her then sell her in a couple years for a profit. ???

I'm scared that selling her may not be that easy or even possible given this economy.

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh
Old 03-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #64
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

As I said earlier I think, selling a large, older, gas powered boat is VERY difficult these days. E10 gas is very hard on old technology. I would really consider just selling your current boats for whatever you can get now and taking the proceeds to buy the trawler or boat you want (lots of other boats out there besides trawlers). But the egg looks nice and would most likely be fun so no right or wrong thing to do- just boils down to what you want to do!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Perhaps that's what's making it so hard.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #66
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
TrAwLeR WANTED!

Gin, It is easy for me to say because I don't know you, but I say forget the EGG!

You know you have enough doubts in your own mind.

Your current boat would probably be easier to sell. The Egg man would probably do that and consider himself ahead.

The fact that finding a slip right away for the Egg is not easy for you, means you don't want to invest alot in this boat.

Do yourself and your family a favor and sell at least one of your boats and take your time figuring out what you really need at this time.

There will be plenty of good deals as time goes on. I see nothing on the horizon that is going to eat up the inventory of boats people don't want any more.

Your a young guy even if you did not have a boat down South next Winter it is not the end of the world.

Hmm.* If you believe the world is going to end in 2012 buy the biggest boat you can on a 30 mortgage, and don't make any payments----It won't matter anyway.

Hope you can take a joke.* JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Saturday 12th of March 2011 02:00:20 PM
Old 03-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Lol, that's good. I wouldn't be doing anything new though. My wife and I were looking at a house that was being rented and hasn't paid his rent in over a year. For some reason they can't get him out and the true owner walked away and doesn't care since he relocated to Mexico. Uuugggggg
Old 03-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #68
Guru

Hey Gin,** Doe's the definition of "Live Simply" stretch to include sport fishing boats with twin 454's?* Ripping up and down the ICW on a seasonal Snowbird migration?

To me a sailboat or kayak on a lake comes more to mind.

Peace* JohnP
Old 03-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #69
Veteran Member

I like you JohnP!! Lol, now that's funny right there!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Actually "Live Simply" is the new family motto. Over the past few years we have lost our riches only to find new riches in the more simple things in life such as family. Sure the big house and fancy cars were nice, but we push on and thank God for what we have. We will never give up boating! Boating is our family "spine" in our skeleton that keeps us together!!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #71
Guru

Gin,* Don't give up the ship.* Perhaps a liveaboard adventure is what you and your crew needs?

JohnP
Old 03-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #72
Veteran Member

TrAwLeR WANTED!

I agree. Ironically that's what my wife and I have been discussing. Since she has the summer off and I will be at school 4 days a week and volunteering EMS once a week (and oh yeah, I am also in the Coast Guard Auxiliary) .... ok so I will be a little busy. Point is we can pack our things and live aboard for the Summer! That would free up a lot of $$ to put towards the boat and be a great adventure as well.

-- Edited by NY Gin on Sunday 13th of March 2011 07:02:51 AM
Old 03-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #73
FF
Guru

"E10 gas is very hard on old technology."

E 10 WAS hard on old engines and fuel systems , BUT since its a decade or more since the poison political fuel was required , most old boats have adhusted lived with it.

A new carb and chebby fuel pump is hardly that big a deal.

Here in FL many many marinas sell NO ALCOHOL fuel , in response to the marketing demands , mostly outboarders.

Wood boats are the problem with selling old boats , most folks wont touch them for free, esp the further south you go.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #74
Veteran Member

That's exactly what my mechanic said to me. He also loved the 454s bc they are so easy and inexpensive to work on. When I asked him about converting to electronic ignition, he said if the points work he prefers that as well. My mechanic is an Old Salt, former NAVY seaman and a great man. He knows his stuff, is more than fair with pricing and gives a ton of free advice ...... a genuine person that is so hard to find these days .....

... I digress ....
Old 03-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #75
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII

Quote:
NY Gin wrote:

That's exactly what my mechanic said to me. He also loved the 454s bc they are so easy and inexpensive to work on. When I asked him about converting to electronic ignition, he said if the points work he prefers that as well. My mechanic is an Old Salt, former NAVY seaman and a great man. He knows his stuff, is more than fair with pricing and gives a ton of free advice ...... a genuine person that is so hard to find these days .....

... I digress ....
Take it from someone who has an older larger boat with new 2007 engines, transmissions, upgraded Walter V drives, new Aquamet 22 shafts, dripless *You won't be able to give the boat away. My engines are 8.1L HO's with the factory extended warranty until May of 2013 with only 175 hours on them. The generator was replaced with a Kohler 7.3ECD during the repower. The 1st $75k gets the boat. My boat is a 1993 Mainship 40 Sedan Bridge with a custom enclosed hardtop, new redesigned custom arch and the electronics are 2009 and newer. I will be listing the boat once it is launched this week. The boat had a total refit in 2007. Then a full electronics refit the end of last year Garmin 6212 and an all NMEA2000 backbone. Custom everything I would make a bet I will be lucky to sell it for $60k and that might take years. Old gas boats can have numerous problems from the fuel tanks to the fuel lines if they are not properly rated for E-10. In NJ & NY you can't get anything but E-10 unlike many of the Southern States. I haven't touched the surface of what I had replaced in this boat just the basics.*Stay away from large gas boats No Gin.
I fell in the trap I don't want to see you fall in the same one.
Bill

Old 03-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Thanks Bill. Basically my thought is its a free boat and I don't have to go through the agony of trying to sell mine. With money and the economy being the way it is, I forse having to keep the 454s for a few years. Ultimately I would be swapping them out for new power.

Do you know what exactly is affected by the E10? I am very familiar with the issues with this new gas but not what issues arise in the older guzzler power plants.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #77
Guru

Gin,** I think some of the rubber seals and gaskets break down in the carbs and some other fuel related parts.

The resin in some fiberglass fuel tanks ( I think Bertrams)* also break down and clog everything up.

I am sure they can be retro fitted for a price.

Nothing is free!*** JohnP
Old 03-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #78
Veteran Member

I meant a free boat in that I do not have to somehow find money to go out and buy it. I'm trading my Thompson. I can deal with rebuilding the cards and new fuel pumps if I can get a couple years out of them. So it isn't really the engine that's going to have problems, more of the fuel system. I know the Egg has 3 newer aluminum tanks.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #79
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
TrAwLeR WANTED!

A larger boat isn't free won't you be paying more at the marina for docking? Also I'm pretty sure your going to need a survey for the insurance most marina's require to dock, sign a lease or rent space? Then you have to register and or document the boat. I am pretty sure the yard will have to store the boat in the off season?
I think both your other boats can be trailered not so with the Egg.
I think your Thompson could bring more money than the Egg with gassers.
In the end it is your decission.
For me I wouldn't take a large older gas boat if it was given to me in the current economic environment.
Things that E-10 deteriorates, gaskets, fuel lines, sender unit gaskets, carbs and fuel pumps depending on their age.
Bill

-- Edited by Billylll on Sunday 13th of March 2011 05:00:15 PM
Old 03-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #80
FF
Guru

. Ultimately I would be swapping them out for new power.

WHY?

They are far cheaper to purchase brand new than purchase just a set of injectors for on an electric diesel.

AFTER you start to operate over 500 to 1000hours every year , a diesel (non turbo, non electric controls) might make sens , if you contemplate even higher hours in future years.

For under 300 hours a year GAS is the best choice for almost any boat that can live with 200-250 operational HP per engine.

As most marine motorists are under 100 hours a year , gas is way better.

The opinions sold in "cruising" magazines to novices may be for diesel, mostly because diesels cost more and dealer markups are on the final price.

Going to Tahiti? Sure a smallish diesel would be first choice, going on a ICW trip to FL, gas is better.

Closed Thread