Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #1

City: Spring Lake
step plates

Does anyone know were if at all a person can get hold of some old brass step plates for IG. There just is no way anyone can get in the boat without stepping on the bright work. Are there some retro outfits that make them or does anyone have some they care to sell?
Thanks
Peter

Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
Are you talking about something like what's illustrated in the photo below?

These are unobtainium in bronze for GBs today. So a bunch of GB owners got together on the GB forum and ordered the plates they needed (we already had the straight side plates but not the curved plate for the aft caprail) and the founder of the forum, Bob Lowe, had a foundry make them up for us, x-number of straight plates and y-number of curved plates. I don't recall the cost to each of us per plate but it was not all that much.

So you can have them made up if there is a foundry in your area. The plates Bob had the foundry make up are identical to the original plates from GB. So if there is a foundry in your area that works in bronze (or brass), you could have the steps you need made if you can supply a pattern
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step plate.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	14643  

Old 12-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
SeaDog still makes them with stainless frames after the old Perko style

http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/2178-deck-step
Old 12-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale View Post
Does anyone know were if at all a person can get hold of some old brass step plates for IG. There just is no way anyone can get in the boat without stepping on the bright work. Are there some retro outfits that make them or does anyone have some they care to sell?
I've done some CAD work to make some for mine. I have the CNC equipment to mill them, but the cost of the brass and plating have moved it further down my list of priorities. They'd be on the order of several hundred dollars before plating.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #5

plates

Marin, that would be the kind I'm looking for but for an Island Gypsy. Were did you guys have them cast, I could make a template and send it there. I just need 3 of them to protect my bright work
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

I have no idea where they were cast. I will ask Bob Lowe on the GB forum who did the work for him. This was quite a few years ago so I expect the price of stock and labor has gone up. I'll post whatever I hear back from Bob here.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

Sunvale--- The foundry Bob Lowe used to have the bronze step plates made for the GB forum members who ordered them was Fraser Bronze in Marysville, Washington. Website is Fraser Bronze Foundry | Bronze and aluminum castings
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Thanks
Peter
I don`t think IGs came with plates. Nice, but you`ll need them custom made, they will cost.
However, you can buy hard rubber/plastic steptread which is self adhesive and would do the job,albeit with some trimming. I just did my flybridge stairs, after a full revarnish, it looks good, in charcoal color. I got mine (in Australia) at a marine shop,but they were made for the flat top of fenders on a box trailer. I`m about to do the 2 transom boarding steps, and thinking about doing the lower teak rail at the entry points.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #9

Thanks for the info. I'll get hold of them and see what is the present price for castings.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
All the IGs I have seen, including ours, have nice cast, chromed, step plates with the words"Island Gypsy" cast into them: one at each side boarding station and one at the transom door.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
I don't know if they are original to the boat, but each of my boarding gates has 3 or 4 strips of rub rail strakes mounted an inch or so apart on the caprail.

Taco Stainless Steel Rub Strake
Old 12-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #12

I just received this notifier. I wish I could find it on the site. Like to get a picture or a rubbing of the plates so that I can have some made

Dear sunvale,

dwhatty has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - step plates - in the Classifieds forum of Trawler Forum.

This thread is located at:
step plates - Trawler Forum

Here is the message that has just been posted:
All the IGs I have seen, including ours, have nice cast, chromed, step plates with the words"Island Gypsy" cast into them: one at each side boarding station and one at the transom door.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
TF Site Team

Peter:

PM sent
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Thanks for the project reminder guys!
I have the bronze swimgrid supports that came off when I built a bigger swimgrid. I plan to make step plates with the boat's name in them, for each of the 3 entry points. A friend has done this on his boat, so I have his methodology for preparing a template out of wood or lexan, then all I have to do is get a foundry to make a sand mould from my template and pour in molten bronze. I can clean up the plates when they come back.
I did this with bronze from one of the SG supports to get the ladder hooks when I built a new boarding ladder and I was very pleased with the results.
All that has held me back is the choice of font and size, as the teak rail is long and narrow, and I have a short boat name. Have to get on with this one.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Thanks
Peter
Is this what you are looking for? ebay 230897352664
Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #16

they look good, but I like to find some IG originals if possible, otherwise I need to have some made. Thanks
Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
That is a nice surprise, must have been done on later boats. My lower teak cappings, finished in Deks Olje (gloss) are getting some wear during the deck reno, finish is easily retouched, but I might check that ebay item.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #18
TF Site Team

IG step plate:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IG Steplate.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	14744  
Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
That looks like aluminum. Is it or is that plated brass / bronze?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
Guru

Found the ebay item, they are off an old Chris Craft, may be of interest to CC owners.
I like the IG step plate in the photo David posted. 3 of those screwed into place must look good.

Closed Thread