Old 12-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #1

City: Gig Harbor WA
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Booked-Selene 47 offered for month-long charter in PNW

MV Kika, a Selene 47 pilothouse trawler yacht, is being offered for a month-long charter in summer 2018. Ideally, this is a one-way bare-boat charter departing Anacortes July 1 and terminating at Port McNeill, BC, July 31. We can deliver your car to Port McNeill where we would do the turn over. This is a great opportunity for an experienced skipper to make the trip north and spend extended time cruising the splendid waters of the Broughton Archipelago. For rates and info about this unique opportunity, please contact Richard Soto, nwboater@whidbey.net
Willard 40
Old 12-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Do you offer insurance that will cover the charterer's risk? Most recreational yacht policies don't cover commercial chartering.

David
Old 12-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #3

You're correct, but I have an arrangement with my broker and insurance company that's worked for a decade now.
Willard 40
Old 12-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwboater View Post
You're correct, but I have an arrangement with my broker and insurance company that's worked for a decade now.
An arrangement? What is an arrangement? Is it insured for charter or not?
Old 12-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #5

Each potential charter customer gets vetted by me and the insurance company. We look at your boating history; vessels owned, operator experience, references, past maritime claims, etc. If approved, you get added to my yacht policy, usually the cost is an extra $500-$1000 depending on length of charter and cruising area. Now do you understand my meaning of "arrangement"?
Willard 40
Old 12-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Each potential charter customer gets vetted by me and the insurance company. We look at your boating history; vessels owned, operator experience, references, past maritime claims, etc. If approved, you get added to my yacht policy, usually the cost is an extra $500-$1000 depending on length of charter and cruising area. Now do you understand my meaning of "arrangement"?
Yes, I understand your use of the word "arrangement." An attempt to cover without a charter policy.

I'd still be surprised if your policy doesn't have a clause against commercial use. This sounds like something that would be done when allowing a friend to use the boat for a month or so. I'd make sure that they are acknowledging in writing that these persons are insured as paying charterers.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:29 AM   #7

City: Vancouver, BC
Richard, I PM'd you. Please respond.
Bruce R.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #8

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Back in the day State Farm allowed up to two two week rentals of our motorhome annually. I forget what I had to do but it was pretty simple and right in the policy wording.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Insurance coverage when renting varies with the asset being rented out.

Homes are the most liberal, probably because the need to rent short term is common and the additional risk to the insurance company is minimal. So the risk and cost of covering that risk is built in to the policy that most of us buy.

Boats on the other hand are pretty strict- no coverage for renting. Why? Well for one thing the average use of a recreational trawler is probably only a few dozen days each year, certainly less than 100 for most of us. But when you rent out the boat, the number of days of use can double, triple or ?? And with that extra use comes an extra risk.

I think that most of us would prefer that the insurance company not price that risk into our policy and instead charge the owner who rents his boat out more, significantly more usually.

David
Old 12-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #10
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
I would really like to know how to do this legally.
Is there a specific company or person I can speak with about the costs and rules for providing insurance to allow for a paid charter on a privately owned boat?
Old 12-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
This is an unusual and unique arrangement. You pick the dates, the start and end location. Most people pay to have their boat relocated. It reads like you've found a way to charge for someone to relocate your boat for you.

Ingenious?
Old 12-13-2017, 08:58 PM   #12

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
A happy customer

I chartered Richard's previous boat a couple of years ago. It was a very pleasant experience. We spent 4+ weeks meandering north through the islands. At the end of the charter Richard met us with our truck in Port McNeill for the crew change. A much better deal than bringing the boat all the way back to Anacortes. I had no problems getting approved by his insurance company as I had cruised these waters in my own boats many times before. So, if you are interested in a multi-week charter, have the appropriate experience, talk to Richard.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #13

Gerald, thanks for those kind words. I now have the Selene booked for 2018...hope you can cruise Kika in the future. Hello to Pam!
Willard 40
Old 12-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #14
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsholz View Post
I chartered Richard's previous boat a couple of years ago. It was a very pleasant experience. We spent 4+ weeks meandering north through the islands. At the end of the charter Richard met us with our truck in Port McNeill for the crew change. A much better deal than bringing the boat all the way back to Anacortes. I had no problems getting approved by his insurance company as I had cruised these waters in my own boats many times before. So, if you are interested in a multi-week charter, have the appropriate experience, talk to Richard.
Sounds good - what type of approval did you get? Did you buy the insurance as an operator of someone else boat or visa versa? Was it necessary to have a commercial insurance rider or policy? Did the boat or provisioning require any additional items for this use for insurance?
Could you help any with ballpark costs and which insurance company(s) might offer this product?
Thank you ahead of time...