Old 08-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #1

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Robertson CSB250 Compass Splitter Box

Anyone have one of these? I currently have an old Robertson AP200DL autopilot system installed but need to be able to get the compass data onto a NMEA0183 buss. To do that I need to find one of these splitter boxes. Hoping someone out there has one sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Thanks
Marty......................

MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #2

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Marty, The CSB250 box converts sine/cosine to nmea. If you can't find one, you can switch to the latest compass, RFC37 fluxgate and do it that way. It has both sine/cosine & nmea output, The RFC37 is worth considering as it is far more accurate and responsive than the old RFC250 anyway. (the RFC250 is neither fluxgate or gyro, it is essentially an electromechanical fluid filled magnetic compass with internal sensors. I changed mine last year and the difference is essentially a new autopilot. Cost was about $320.00 new off ebay however some are trying to sell for double this.

Simply clip the wire at the 250, use the old wire & connect to the RFC37 sine/cosine terminal strip and your nmea to the nmea terminal strip. Done

Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #3

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Actually, in reading further I can't even use the CSB250, that appears to only work with the RFC250 Heading Sensor and I have the RFC200 compass. I am trying to find a way to, inexpensively, get heading information into my Raymarine C120 chart plotter and I was hoping to be able to get it from the Autopilot. I am coming to the realization that may just not be possible. Oh well.

Marty................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #4

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Marty, I'm not familiar with the RFC200 compass but know it only outputs sine /cosine. You can buy an aftermarket sine/cosine to nmea converter which I believe is what the CSB250-N2500-RFC250 setup does but I still think the RFC37 compass is the way to go. You not only upgrade your pilot to current accuracy and performance but you get the needed nmea heading info for your plotter. Once connected, your autopilot becomes a true autopilot versus a simple steering pilot and you can navigate to waypoints set by the plotter. Aside from a converter your only way of getting a heading source is another compass, it may as well be one that plays nice with your pilot and plotter both. Cheers
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote