Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Exclamation Radar mast for trawler

West coast preferable. My boat came without a mast or radar. Looking for a less expensive solution. Flexible on style. Please let me know what you have, where, and how much.
Thanks
Scott
Old 04-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham Washington
Vessel Model: 49 GB Alaskan RPH
i have one that is stainless steel. I used it before i put a half tower on my convertible. it is in Tucson
Old 04-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Why not mount the radar on the pilot house roof? Or are you looking for extra height for a little extra range? There are also guys who sell stainless radar arches on line for mounting on hard tops / cabin tops.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 04-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Why not mount the radar on the pilot house roof? Or are you looking for extra height for a little extra range? There are also guys who sell stainless radar arches on line for mounting on hard tops / cabin tops.
Well, I have thought about that, I would like to have a mast that we can mount the radar, kingdome (came with boat) and an anchor/steam light on. The added height for the radar wouldn't hurt either as it would give me more assurance that I wont be microwaving my kids when tehy are hanging out on the main saloon coach roof.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by willysross View Post
i have one that is stainless steel. I used it before i put a half tower on my convertible. it is in Tucson
How large is it? If it is something we could ship UPS I'm interested. Do you have an dimensional data on it or a picture?
Thanks
Scott
Old 04-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
How large is it? If it is something we could ship UPS I'm interested. Do you have an dimensional data on it or a picture?
Thanks
Scott
I new you would ask, I called my wife she is going to measure and take a picture. My son is headed back to Alameda from College in Alabama and is going to stop in Tucson to pick up a car. He could bring it to bay area in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Go to the thehulltruth.com and look in the parts section, there is about 3 radar masts on the first page anywhere from 4" to 8".
Old 04-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by willysross View Post
I new you would ask, I called my wife she is going to measure and take a picture. My son is headed back to Alameda from College in Alabama and is going to stop in Tucson to pick up a car. He could bring it to bay area in a couple of weeks.
That would be great. thanks
Scott
Old 04-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Go to the thehulltruth.com and look in the parts section, there is about 3 radar masts on the first page anywhere from 4" to 8".
Thanks for the lead! Ididnt find anything there suitable for my application, though.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

mast

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1219.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	29177
It is 81inches high the two hole flange is on the bottom and it has a clamp to put on the rail. you can adjust the level and it has a halyard
Old 04-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
Guru

Willy, I would not be mounting it against a rail. I would have to add stays. Do you think that it would be possible to do that with this mast?
Is it 2 or 3" in diameter (roughly) - I dont need an exact number. Maybe I can find a collar to go around it that I could attach stays to.

Is the mast upside down in the picture? I see a large plate on top with a hinge point on it.

Sorry for the odd barrage of questions, the picture just isn't that clear.

Tell me how much you want for it , then I can figure out what I need to add to it to make it work.

Thanks
Scott
Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
Guru

Wait,
You had that mast clamped to a rail from that two hole bracket near the floor? You must have a hell of a rail! And it stood up with that without a problem or did you have stays?
What was on top ? A radar?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I had a local aluminum fabricator (specializes in tuna towers/tee tops, etc) fab me up a hinged radar mast about 7' tall. It has stiff legs below the hinge, and the hinge is really a flange with 4 3/8" bolts. Takes a few minutes but handy for sneaking under bridges. Tube is 3" sch 40 pipe.

I don't have the cost as it was rolled in with all the rails and the FB ladder, but the whole package as I remember was pretty reasonable.

Good aluminum welders are artists and my guy was fast!!

You can sorta see it in the avatar pic.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #14
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Bligh, there's a stainless radar arch around the bend from you at Perry's for sale(or was) recently. Came off a Bertram they are refurbishing. Call and talk to Joe.

916-777-5000

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 04-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #15
Guru

Thanks CP. Well, I dont think an arch is appropriate for my application. A mast- yes, arch -no.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Bligh, there's a stainless radar arch around the bend from you at Perry's for sale(or was) recently. Came off a Bertram they are refurbishing. Call and talk to Joe.

916-777-5000
Where is your boat, CP?
Old 04-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #17
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
At Perry's. Joe is the harbor master. He probably has a mast or two around somewhere. Joe is one of my best resources for anything boating related.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Wait,
You had that mast clamped to a rail from that two hole bracket near the floor? You must have a hell of a rail! And it stood up with that without a problem or did you have stays?
What was on top ? A radar?
It is 2" - the larger top is for the array. I had an garmin 18" HD on it. Had the two bolts in the deck and clamped to the rail. Held up great. The adgustment is to level if you are listing.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #19

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
Do you still have this? I am in Anacortes, how far away are you? I am wanting a mast that can bolt right to the rail like this.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbear View Post
Do you still have this? I am in Anacortes, how far away are you? I am wanting a mast that can bolt right to the rail like this.

Thanks,
Jeff
Its in Tucson right now