Old 09-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #41
Guru

City: somewhere
That hosting company sucks. Not worth squat.

Good hosts will have security and will usually keep your site protected.

I used Hostgator for years. Excellent until they were bought out by probably the same company that owns your former provider. They now suck.

For antivirus use Vipre, at $49. a year, it's worth it for a clean computer.

BTW, if you're using WordPress, switch to a Lightspeed server. Faster and much better security.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #42

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako
Web site

I was using Front Page to create my web pages. Now that is not supported. I have to move to something else that is EASY. I just dont want to invest a lot of time learning it. I dont do a lot of fancy web site stuff, just as something is needed like the page for the trawler for sale.
Is Lightspeed a web page builder?
R.

ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphyost View Post
I was using Front Page to create my web pages. Now that is not supported. I have to move to something else that is EASY. I just dont want to invest a lot of time learning it. I dont do a lot of fancy web site stuff, just as something is needed like the page for the trawler for sale.
Is Lightspeed a web page builder?
R.
Lightspeed is a server operating system.

WordPress is a blog platform that's free, easy to learn and has thousands of free things you can add.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #44

web page builder

thanks for this. Yes I know WordPress is a blog tool. I dont want to do blogs. I just want a replacement software for Front Page.......and so far its not been easy finding one.
What software do you suggest is easiest for me to go to from Front Page? My web hosting company said FP can be easily hacked.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
thanks for this. Yes I know WordPress is a blog tool. I dont want to do blogs. I just want a replacement software for Front Page.......and so far its not been easy finding one.
What software do you suggest is easiest for me to go to from Front Page? My web hosting company said FP can be easily hacked.
You don't have to use WordPress as a blog. I don't anymore, actually I'm going to start using it as a landing page for a couple of sites.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #46

So do you think Word Press is the easiest software tool for me to use to build and maintain web pages?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #47
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I didn't see a virus but I didn't see a trawler for sale either.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #48
Guru

Quote:
So do you think Word Press is the easiest software tool for me to use to build and maintain web pages?
It's the only CMS, content management system, that I use at this time. It's very versatile.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #49

BeachBum
I'm sorry I am not proficient in this area, but I dont comprehend your answer or understand what CMS is....is your answer a yes or a no to my question about Word Press.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
BeachBum
I'm sorry I am not proficient in this area, but I dont comprehend your answer or understand what CMS is....is your answer a yes or a no to my question about Word Press.
WordPress is a CMS, which stands for; content management system.

I build, market and manage websites for my business and I think WordPress is the best system out there right now.

For me, yes. For you, try it, you may like it.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #51

ok thank you very much. Your experience with web site building is the kind of referral I was looking for.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #52
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Hmmm....Trojan? I thought it was for a Defever. By the way, shows up fine here in Granda...
Old 09-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #53
Veteran Member

City: SoCal
Another day later and I get directed to 'Ready Hosting'... did you take the post down because of the virus issues? Would love to take a look at this boat!

[EDIT: somehow I missed the post on page two where you explain that the hosting company had deleted your site/suspended your account. Sorry about that. There's a good chance that your files that you uploaded were corrupted on your machine; I use a combination of two or three programs on every computer we have to fight viruses and spyware: AVG Free Edition has been my go-to anti-virus for years now. Rarely has it failed (and I give it every opportunity). You can find it at http://www.Grisoft.com. Spybot Search and Destroy is a pretty great (and also free) anti-spyware tool that can "immunize" your computer against known threats. Very user friendly for the novice; there are also many advanced tools available for the more expert user. It's available at http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/ .]
Shantyhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #54
Veteran Member

City: SoCal
Quote:
You're a little bit off here, as 'blog tool' doesn't really begin to describe what wordpress does. Many sites, major and minor, are built on wordpress. Yes, a blog could be built too, but I think you will find that wordpress will allow you to get any kind of site up in running in less than a day.

From wordpress, here is a page of free themes: WordPress › Most Popular ę Free WordPress Themes

My own theme is a paid wordpress theme, and took quite a bit of expertise to customize, but we were building a commercial site whereas you are simply looking for a way to advertise your boat. Like I said, there's an option for every skill set.

Shanty
Shantyhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #55

Here is another link to see our boat

Hi Shantyhag

1982 Defever 41 Trawler Double Cabin Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
NOTE: Please do NOT contact the broker in that ad. If you stay with me directly, I can save you the brokerage commission. If you contact him, it will invoke the sales commission.
We recently reduced the price of the boat $15k to $135,000 for quick sale. If we donít sell it by middle of October, we will bring the boat to Cape Coral/Ft Myers FL and turn it over to another broker for sale. Right now you can buy it direct from us and save the sales commission, which is a sizable amount of money.

You can contact me directly at
ralph at alphacompservices.com

thanks
R.